Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-12-17, 10:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73662
  • Total Topics: 1611
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Management Roll of honour  (Read 3316 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Management Roll of honour
« on: 02-12-17, 11:58PM »
Let this thread be a memorial for 'good managers' (yes you heard) and for the Good things that managers do.

It has dawned on me that when it comes to Management, many on VLH (including me) are very quick to criticize BAD management

Please let this thread be a celebration of 'The best of' managers.

What managers SHOULD aim for; The Victoria Cross (equivalent) for managers.

PS; you ARE NOT allowed to nominate yourself or something that 'you' have done.

Who knows if we supply an experience of what IS good management, we might create a template-of-behaviour for those who aren't quite sure, to follow.

So do you have an individual or incident that deserves the ultimate award for management going above and beyond in the interests of those below.

Further PS;
Only examples given from those BELOW the manager in questions level at the time are allowed.

gomezz Title edited to Roll as my OCD could not take the mispelling
« Last Edit: 03-12-17, 03:11PM by gomezz »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Pash

• VLH Supporter
Re: Management Roll of honour
« Reply #1 on: 03-12-17, 08:31AM »
We have a SM who is responsible for Grocery, Warehouse, Backdoor, Frozen and Non-Food.  He has six 'Managers' to oversee too, yet he is on the shopfloor 90% of the time looking after his departments and also filling the shelves.  He never gets stressed, talks correctly to all staff when giving direction, he can be firm but he's also fair. 

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 03-12-17, 08:50AM »
The best managers are those seldom seen in the canteen or an office for over 70% of their shift; who work alongside their teams and are firm but fair when it comes to applying the rules.

GasMonkey

« Reply #3 on: 03-12-17, 08:52AM »
Can I order one from EBay ?

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 03-12-17, 11:30AM »
The best managers are those seldom seen in the canteen or an office for over 70% of their shift; who work alongside their teams and are firm but fair when it comes to applying the rules.
I agree, although Tesco has become so convoluted that it pushes more and more work on them that takes them away from this. Any manager who behaves in the way you describe is more than likley having their performance 'supported' for a myriad of other reasons.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #5 on: 03-12-17, 02:29PM »
All line managers I've had have been very reasonable about arranging holidays and changing them, if needed, to fit in with staff's plans.
That helps the staff to feel willing to do overtime or to swap shifts, if asked by the manager.

My current line manager shows up in our dept at least once, usually more, during their shift. (They have 3 depts). That is a nice change from most of the (several) line managers we have had in recent years.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 03-12-17, 06:13PM »
The managers should only use the office for confidential meetings. I am sure these could be completed in less than 5% of the shift. It is about time managers got out the office and done an aisle for themselves. They should be on hand to support staff. I am sure they could take any holiday dairy etc to the aisle they are working. There is no excuse for back stock and cap shelfs to be dangerous when you have 3 managers on shift. The current Grocery manager in my place deserves the boot. Staffing is a mess, back stock is a mess and top shelf are same...

Dougall

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 03-12-17, 06:35PM »
I thought this was supposed to be compliments only....

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 03-12-17, 06:41PM »
That was me trying to compliment. That is how bad our store is.  Not a good word can be said. >:(

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 03-12-17, 07:31PM »
@Gomez

Sorry I was drinking a bottle of Whine at the time.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

GasMonkey

« Reply #11 on: 04-12-17, 01:01AM »
That was me trying to compliment. That is how bad our store is.  Not a good word can be said. >:(

There are not enough Four letter words in the English language to describe the bunch of losers that run the store I work in.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 04-12-17, 06:47AM »
Every decent, hardworking, fair minded manager we have ever had, has either moved to another store or left the company, usually sickened by the antics of some line and senior managers.

We have two or three at the moment who are worth their salt, and one senior, who I hope doesn't move on as she is the only one to be seen costantly working on the shopfloor, on a checkout, or in the warehouse sorting stock. The days she is in running the store is bliss, the whole atmosphere is relaxed, and colleagues work a dam sight harder for her, as she gives everyone the respect to get on with their job, knowing it will be done properly, without the need to be micro managed :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 04-12-17, 08:41AM »
The sad fact is that store managers think that if a line manager has to be in their department working then they're not "managing" their staff properly

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 04-12-17, 11:47AM »

There are not enough Four letter words in the English language to describe the bunch of losers that run the store I work in.
Same in mine, this lot now are the worst ever by a country mile. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The worlds me lobster

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #15 on: 04-12-17, 07:07PM »
Topic "Management roll of honour" please, not the inverse.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Charlie Harper

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 06-12-17, 11:41AM »
My line manager (Fresh Food) is also currently covering Deli counters/Bakery/ Plant Bread as the manager for those departments is off 'sick'(2 months & counting) Not only is he covering those extra areas, he is excelling in them. SBA up on all etc. Staff are happier. He takes it all in his stride. Comes in when he's supposed to be off, very committed and seems to just know how to get results while keeping staff happy.  Good bloke  :thumbup:

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 06-12-17, 11:54AM »
what is he smoking

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #18 on: 06-12-17, 12:16PM »
Fool.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 06-12-17, 12:38PM »
Tesco know people will do this so they just give them a using and pay more off.

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 06-12-17, 01:59PM »
My line manager (Fresh Food) is also currently covering Deli counters/Bakery/ Plant Bread as the manager for those departments is off 'sick'(2 months & counting) Not only is he covering those extra areas, he is excelling in them. SBA up on all etc. Staff are happier. He takes it all in his stride. Comes in when he's supposed to be off, very committed and seems to just know how to get results while keeping staff happy.  Good bloke  :thumbup:
He'll be lucky to be rated 'met' - what you describe is the average day in the life of a manager in Express/Metro, your manager is nothing special. Even if he is 'met' he probably won't, like many managers this year, get a rise anyway if already earns enough.

GasMonkey

« Reply #21 on: 06-12-17, 02:15PM »

He will soon loose that approach to work as they start to abuse him the more he does the more they will want from him

alf

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 06-12-17, 02:54PM »
VLH, where managers get slated for not doing enough work, and in the same breath get slated for doing more work.

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 06-12-17, 03:35PM »
Consistent with Tesco itself then :D

GasMonkey

« Reply #24 on: 06-12-17, 06:12PM »
VLH, where managers get slated for not doing enough work, and in the same breath get slated for doing more work.

As I said in previous post that guy will soon realise the error of his ways for the very obvious reasons. And TBH the a## holes out weigh the the good guy/gals by 10 to 1