News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 293
Total: 296

The Hub

Started by beentheredoneit, 13-08-19, 04:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

Was this from HQ or from the store?

Asking, out of interest, because I'm expecting someone to face an investigation for obstructing a fire exit in our backyard with two sided cages...  ???

lucgeo

Don't think it makes much difference....if the fire exit was blocked it's gross misconduct, as it's a Heath & safety issue.

If your repping them, then you need to find out if they were instructed to put the cages there by a manager, or did it off their own back?

How long the cages were there? If it was for a length of time, why didn't the duty pick up on it immediately? If it was a hub notification, again, why didn't the managers notice it immediately? If you have a H&S rep, did they highlight it to the managers?

If they're a new colleague, and did it off their own back, then they could plead ignorance? Have they been signed off on H&S training manual?

Everyone in that store are responsible for ensuring all fire exits are kept clear at all times, so how come no one moved them immediately? Who was the fire warden that day?

It should not be a case of "the buck stops with that colleague," and I would push for refresher training for that colleague, and perhaps a verbal at most, based on the above 8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

whatajoke2019

I was wondering if the lady in the PFS was picked up by The Hub HQ or from managers in the store looking at the CCTV.

I don't know who left the cages in front of the fire exit; it was in our delivery yard. I noticed the obstruction when I was looking for cages to complete split down and went around the corner (where the fire exit is) and cleared it immediately.

I've mentioned it to one of our store forum reps and will also speak to our SM; I also recorded it in the S&L book too.

I don't know how long they were there for and I wouldn't want anyone to lose their jobs over it... but it's not the first time it's happened in my time at the store...!

Long gone

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 06-11-19, 08:24AM
Was this from HQ or from the store?

Asking, out of interest, because I'm expecting someone to face an investigation for obstructing a fire exit in our backyard with two sided cages...  ???

I posted recently about this as it was a major issue in our store and the colleague let because of it. Any blockages of fire exits whether your manager, area manager or even the Queen coming to the shop asking anyone to block fire doors is gross misconduct and can result in prosecution of staff member if its followed through and anything major happens. Management can turn a blind eye to it and say they never asked. Anyone who is asked to do this, get written confirmation from a manager confirming time and date they asked to comply either blockage fire exits and reasons stating why the job was asked to be done. Don't expect a manager to give u a crappy handwritten note either ,get it typed it up and have the manager asking them to do the job sign it themselves at the bottom. Always cover your backs regarding these these tosser managers who don't give a s*** about you

NightAndDay

I'd be quite curious in knowing whether the hub picking up any H&S violations would flag it as misconduct. If the hub selectively chooses what is misconduct and what isn't, then I'd question it's legal legitimacy as a disciplinary tool.

Long gone

Will probably be down to management to decide, management will always have each others backs and will throw colleagues under the bus.

forrestgimp

Quote from: kaled78 on 06-11-19, 07:26AM
we had a pfs colleague caught on the hub doing sodoku puzzles at quiet times between customers,she wasn't sacked,but got a written warning

Blimey, back when our store first opened I was in the pfs on nights with another guy, we also had a guy from a nearby store to show us what to do and a security guard so 4 of us.

After the nightshift had buggered off to the extra store in the next town across for their training the guy who came to show us how it all worked would turn off the cctv and bring in his telly and dvd player and all 4 of us would sit watching films till 5am when the nights lot were due back.

We used to go arm the pumps when we heard the binging and wait for payment, after about midnight you were lucky to get 1 customer an hour. That was 20 years ago.

Odd times the local police guy would pop in and watch them with us for a while.

I should mention the pfs was locked and we served through the hatch and was double manned because the store itself was not open.

Tinkerbell1975

Quote from: NightAndDay on 06-11-19, 12:11PM
I'd be quite curious in knowing whether the hub picking up any H&S violations would flag it as misconduct. If the hub selectively chooses what is misconduct and what isn't, then I'd question it's legal legitimacy as a disciplinary tool.

Interested to know this also...... we have a fire exit route in our warehouse that is often filled with cages (it is supposed to be 2 cages wide but often it is down to the width of one cage). I have raised this issue to duty managers and also our store forum (was told it was not relevant). Does the hub pick up on these things? If the store manager is turning a blind eye then what hope do we have of it ever getting sorted? Not sure where else i can take complaint to so hoping the hub may pick up on it? The route is not blocked but it's certainly restricted.......

NightAndDay

I'd be concerned if the PM or AM said that blocking a fire exit wasn't relevent, the HSE would have a few colourful things to say, mainly about the law and questioning Tescos corporate governance if a WL4+ employee says "It's not relevant."

http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/fire.htm

Tinkerbell1975

It's the route that's restricted, not the exit. It was the store manager that said it was not a forum issue. I thought about protector line but that just gets put back to the store manager to deal with so there would be little to no point.

Long gone

Quote from: gummibear on 06-11-19, 06:46PM
It's the route that's restricted, not the exit. It was the store manager that said it was not a forum issue. I thought about protector line but that just gets put back to the store manager to deal with so there would be little to no point.
Go to your local council and they will send someone round to investigate. If a fire exit or route is blocked I take photographs and then I have evidence. The hub will pick up on that but if Tesco are breaking the law it needs to be addressed

Tinkerbell1975

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have a look on HSE website and council. I have been taking photos since it got thrown out of the forum so plenty of evidence.

lucgeo

Do they move them if a visit is planned?? If so, then they KNOW they're breaking the rules.

optout

If this is a regular occurrence and you can predict when it is likely to happen, you could contact your local fire brigade and inform them that they may like to do a walk through at a particular time.
As I have always said, 'it's the fire brigade that have to carry the half cooked bodies out'.  So the local fire brigade may be more interested than your store manager.
I once witnessed a walk through at a different place of employment, there is nothing like watching a guy in uniform with wellies and a big yellow hat on, walking through an entire building, whilst managers, senior managers and directors of a government department are defecating themselves, looking up like lap-dogs and repeating the phrase 'yes officer that will be action-ed immediately officer' and the officer insisting that it be done NOW and by them (the directors).
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Long gone

People need to complain more and get their stores some rather tasty fines sent their way

Jobless

I don't know how people can be arsed complaining. Do your rubbish paid job and leave.

optout

Re: Hubba hubba (what is the Hub) thread.

@Nomad
when you locked the above thread, you could've at least mentioned how it was 'just 2 years ahead of it's time'. ;) 8)

[gmod]True, someone was in the know. Nomad[/gmod]
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

whatajoke2019

Rubbish paid job? Maybe. But going home, alive, whilst other people have lost theirs because rules were broken? Thanks but no thanks.

If my place of work was on fire the last thing I would want is for anyone to be having to move obstructions in front of fire exits/routes when they are trying to leave safely and quickly...

Long gone

Quote from: Cleaner1 on 06-11-19, 07:34PM
I don't know how people can be arsed complaining. Do your rubbish paid job and leave.

Might be a rubbish paid job, might not like it or doing the job itself but in working there you are lining the pockets of managers who don't give a f*** about you or your welfare. Tesco needs to be fined and fined a lot, plus when they get fined managers don't get any bonuses 😁😁😁

lucgeo

Quote from: gummibear on 06-11-19, 05:49PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 06-11-19, 12:11PM

Interested to know this also...... we have a fire exit route in our warehouse that is often filled with cages (it is supposed to be 2 cages wide but often it is down to the width of one cage). I have raised this issue to duty managers and also our store forum (was told it was not relevant). Does the hub pick up on these things? If the store manager is turning a blind eye then what hope do we have of it ever getting sorted? Not sure where else i can take complaint to so hoping the hub may pick up on it? The route is not blocked but it's certainly restricted.......

A store forum should have a H&S rep reserved seat, so what was the reps response to the question and answer? Have you spoken to the H&S rep about this?

Lindathecleaner

I've been in the store I work in for a while, there's my friend who's just joined and has been called out for doing something wrong on the tills by the hub, already she's worried she's made more mistakes like putting the wrong amount someone has paid into the till and gave the correct change however she thinks she's going to lose her job over it!

Can they do that if she's new  :question: Help please.

Lindathecleaner

Does anyone know if the hub spots a mistake how long it takes for it to be reported to the store  :question:

[gmod]Question moved to here, a more appropriate topic.[/gmod]

Redshoes

Quote from: Lindathecleaner on 10-11-19, 11:24PM
I've been in the store I work in for a while, there's my friend who's just joined and has been called out for doing something wrong on the tills by the hub, already she's worried she's made more mistakes like putting the wrong amount someone has paid into the till and gave the correct change however she thinks she's going to lose her job over it!

Can they do that if she's new  :question: Help please.

You would not lose your job over first mistake or even second. Highlighting mistakes is to show where things have gone wrong and be aware going forward. Mistakes go to store manager and he will pass down the line so will depend on who is in.

If new, has your friend had full till training. There is online training to complete. If not, there is a section on form to request more training. If unaware of how mistake came about, request more training. The process if for first mistake to go to till investigation, second is "let's talk, but only if second is with six months of first.

Jellyfish4

Does anyone know if the hub monitoring is legal . I was told the system is automatic . Watches you and flags mistakes . Then a team reviews this . I know you shouldn't worry if you are doing nothing wrong but I remember reading about Sainsbury's stopped facial tracking in their stores due to GDPR . They ended up tracking people's shoes to figure out how customers shop as this was a technicality. I am wondering what loophole Tesco are exploiting to get around fully tracking staff and customers .

Theodore

I don't think they're "tracking" anybody, especially not customers.

All they are doing are using till information (voids, refunds for large amounts, card signatures etc), finger print scanners  (waste, clockin etc) to trigger "interesting" things for operators to view on CCTV. Anything against policy gets flagged and reported to the store.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk