News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:55PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,125
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45488402

The bit about Amazon possibly taking over could be interesting

Nomad

QuoteShe is convinced Amazon will have acquired a UK supermarket within two years to make it a real player in UK food and apply what it has learned following the company's $13.7bn takeover of upmarket US retailer Whole Foods last year.

If Amazon does decide to wade into the UK grocery war, it may take more than the launch of a discount chain to save the likes of Tesco.

It is interesting  8)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

If you think we have problems now God help us all if Amazon buy the company out.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

OvaSees

I think it's more likely that Amazon would snap up Morrisons, they're already in bed with each other on home delivery.

notsofunny

Is whole foods not a brand in itself ? rather than a retail store company that sells other company products ? also think it said they sell high end lines as well as Organic products , so Buying Morrisons or Tesco would not fit in with what they did with whole foods ,

I cant see the logic of Buying into a retail company , But I do see them buying into something like Orcado which does not have The worrys of pensions old staff contracts, High end costs like Buildings

Quote from: bugsbunny on 13-09-18, 02:29PM
Viewpoint results out tomorrow 😂😂

The WMTY don't you mean. Here is what a few say on ourtesco:

4 comments

Alex Hurt 14 hours ago

Wonder if it will be tb e 3rd year we don't get told the results of it... Or the 7th year in which something may start to be done about what is said in it rather than ignoring it. My bet is ignorance.

Alex Hurt 11 hours ago

also on the wmty link, at the bottom, links don't work, please check the links... it's not that hard :p

Marc Ringland 13 hours ago

Not even been mentioned on nights.

Alex Hurt 11 hours ago

I just read the link in the post, "Customers will never love a company until employees love it first" Since when has this ever been tesco's strive? for the past few years it's been take take take from employees, it's seriously hypocritical to add it in after giving everyone a pay reduction for 5 months, double time to time quarter, time quarter to time half, moving people to a new role then 6 months later telling them they have no job. Doesn't seem like it was ever striven for? Employee morale is with most certainty lowest it has EVER been.

mexicopete

@1 spot on post..nail on head..my thoughts exactly. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

Kipper11

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45704273

Tesco bank fined £16.4 million why am I not surprised

"Tesco Bank has been fined £16.4m by the UK financial regulator for failings surrounding a cyber-attack on its customers in November 2016.
The Financial Conduct Authority said the bank had failed to exercise due skill, care and diligence in protecting its personal current account holders."

fatboy

Let's face it, they're not the only bank this has happened to. Seems to be the norm nowadays.

Nomad

Quote"In this case, the attack was the subject of a very specific warning that Tesco Bank did not properly address until after the attack started. This was too little, too late. Customers should not have been exposed to the risk at all."

The FCA said cyber attackers had exploited deficiencies in Tesco Bank's design of its debit card, its financial crime controls and in its financial crime operations team.

I think the size of the fine was more to do with the above 'laxity' rather than the actual cyber attack.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45747673

Waitrose, but still might be worth a discussion

Digimon

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tesco-cant-see-online-delivering-lsgj30sgv

Tesco boss Dave Lewis made an impassioned call for an internet sales tax to curb Amazon's rampant growth earlier this month. It was perhaps a curious move, given his position at the helm of Britain's biggest online grocer.

Tesco has built up a 50% share of the £11.4bn market over almost a quarter of a century, yet during his four years in charge, Lewis has shown little appetite to burnish Tesco's reputation as an ecommerce pioneer.

His reluctance is because of the sector's horrendous track record: leading supermarkets have delivered hundreds of millions of orders over the years — yet still make next to nothing from them.
Continue[/i
]

What bothers him most, the fact that Amazon could be his nemesis or that online grocery orders make 'nothing'?

Duracell

If he is going to scrutinise amazon perhaps he should follow their model and move away from profit records and reinvest profit back into the business and actually be original, pioneering and inivotive for a change.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Digimon

The geyser, Adrian Letts, heading up Tesco's ecommerce since 2015 recently left for Ovo energy who described his tenure at Tesco as 'Increasing profitability'.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/people/movers/tescos-md-of-online-adrian-letts-leaves-for-new-role/572599.article

Funny that because Dave Lewis said Tesco Direct wasn't paying its way (and has been skipped) and now admits that online grocery makes bugger all.

Ovo has to justify paying him stupid money I guess  8-)

Amazon staff are getting a wage rise Day/Night at Tesco it is only some.

OvaSees

Quote from: Duracell on 21-10-18, 06:48PM
If he is going to scrutinise amazon perhaps he should follow their model and move away from profit records and reinvest profit back into the business and actually be original, pioneering and inivotive for a change.
Exactly. The quoted article makes Drastic look more than a little hypocritical when he himself said "bring it on" when Amazon entered his market - https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/bring-on-says-tesco-boss-dave-lewis-amazon-groceries-threat/1387536

It's competition in the market working as it should Dave, Amazon found a way to prosper in the world and it's market conditions whilst you cling to outdated thinking by resorting to legislature where you cannot adapt. You cannot resist change even if you don't like it - Amazon didn't appear yesterday and creep up on you, it's been around as long as Tesco Dot Com and there were no calls for an online sales tax when Tesco went first to market with that one, nor when it 'did an Amazon' and bypassed sales tax (VAT) by selling DVDs etc from Jersey...

But Drastic also insisted that Tesco "can be as innovative as the likes of HelloFresh and Amazon" - http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesco-meal-kits-checkout-free-stores-2017-10

At this point it looks like he's making it up as he goes along and must be more concerned about Amazon than he's letting on.

As someone has already said why post profits. This money should be going towards expansion and improvement of the current business.

lucgeo

And many moons ago, when the supermarkets started to take the customers from the high street, their was little compassion, " move with the times" then they took to online, again it's competition so " move with the times ". Now someone is taking them on at their own game, and they start bleating "unfair" ??? ???

The high streets are full of charity shops, what once was a tradition of Saturday shopping, all dressed in their best, men sat outside M&S is no more. Sunday's are busier, shops open 7 days a week, there's only so much money to go around, and families who now work different shifts, shop around online, with Amazon taking the lions share.... Davey boy, "move with the times"  :o :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

lucgeo, all so so true.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

OvaSees

Well said lucgeo, Tesco is only happy when the conditions favour it. Rather than adapt or innovate, it wants legislation, that ain't 'levelling the playing field' it's 'moving the goalposts'.

Digimon

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dunnes-pulls-ahead-of-tesco-as-low-cost-rivals-gain-ground-l7jmcx2zw
Dunnes pulls ahead of Tesco as low-cost rivals gain ground

Tesco veggie bacon contains more salt than you find in seawater

Meat-free alternatives – including Tesco's veggie bacon – contain more salt than seawater, a campaign group has warned. Action on Salt said meat-free burgers, sausages and mince are 'concealing' dangerous levels of salt after analysing information on 157 vegetarian products. Tesco's Meat Free 8 Bacon Style Rashers were among the saltiest products discovered in the study which found they contain more salt per 100g than seawater.

OvaSees

Quote from: Digimon on 21-10-18, 01:56PM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tesco-cant-see-online-delivering-lsgj30sgv

Tesco boss Dave Lewis made an impassioned call for an internet sales tax to curb Amazon's rampant growth earlier this month.
Drastic's barking up the wrong tree there. Expected mid-term growth across Europe for e-commerce is forecasted at £10bn euros, the same figure for discounters is £200bn euros. The real threat then is from the discounters - there are five Tesco's within 10 miles of Jacks in Chatteris - and only two Aldi's and one Lidl. Who do you think it will hurt most if that Jacks store succeeds?

Duracell

I did try to suggest early on with regards to jacks that, the catchment area of the rivals they are supposed to be taking on also encompass their own stores, the law of averages and common sense suggests their own stores in the catchment areas of rivals will also take a hit.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

lucgeo

Aye but how soon will they close the tesco store down in that catchment area, and offer to transfer the staff over on less favourable contracts etc.. ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk