News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,124
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 288
Total: 295

Time off. Paid or not?

Started by Mark calloway, 13-12-19, 01:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

I'm due to have a steroid injection in my hip joint soon, probably need a few days off. Seeing as it's a planned procedure,do I get paid from day one or do I have to wait the three days? I've been employed since 2012

NightAndDay

Three days, there are medical and surgery exceptions to the three day rule, but I'm not sure if that's one of them. But people who started in 2012 and later do have the 3 day rule apply.

Passionateabout myjob

Qouted from our Tesco..... If your planned operation or minor hospital procedure is invasive & requires recovery time we would consider any time off as sickness absence & paid from your CSP entitlement & not subject to 3 day wait .

Armin

I gave all the information required, told them about the procedure and recovery time, quoted the our tesco policy above yet they still ballsed up my pay. Got it back eventually though and paid me full shifts for doing a phased return to work.

Mark calloway

My manager has just informed me that my time off is either holiday or unpaid. He's said that's what wages have told him

NightAndDay

The policy definition fits your situation, go to the PM and advise him/her of policy and for them to have the open and honest conversation with said wage clerk.

Mark calloway

Just been informed that recovery time IS holiday. I got sick pay when I had an op 2 yrs ago.

lucgeo

Quote from: Mark calloway on 17-01-20, 10:19PM
My manager has just informed me that my time off is either holiday or unpaid. He's said that's what wages have told him

Oh well if wages have told him, then it must be correct as the wages clerks are a law unto themselves, think half of them believe the payment is coming out of their own pockets. Inform your manager that you have been advised by the union it is paid absence.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

Thanks. You're spot on about wages and some managers. They act like it's THEIR money you're taking. I'll certainly say that the union say it's paid absence

forrestgimp

Its not just the union its Tesco policy.

You can read it online but i think you need one of them email sign in things they are giving out for training.

Mickymouse1962

May bank holiday has moved from the 4th to friday the 8th as the friday is VE day

Redshoes

Quote from: Mark calloway on 20-01-20, 04:19PM
Thanks. You're spot on about wages and some managers. They act like it's THEIR money you're taking. I'll certainly say that the union say it's paid absence

There is only so much sick pay. If colleague has run out of sick pay the options are holiday or unpaid. Sick pay resets on your annual start date but if used all in the year before I think it's only something like four wks. Is recovery from operation is during a period of time when sick pay has been used and annual start date is way off you have limited options.
I'm not an expert on sick pay as I have luckily enough not to ever had to use it. I just know about the annual reset date and that it's a limited amount. We need to know this much for removing people from the tablet, as in paid or unpaid.

Expressdude2016

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 21-01-20, 08:31AM
May bank holiday has moved from the 4th to friday the 8th as the friday is VE day

What's this got to do with this feed ?   And yes entire country's bank holiday is Friday 8th not just Tesco

Mark calloway

I contacted usdaw office and they confirmed that the 3 day wait isn't applicable on a planned op. Seems like wages and several day managers don't have a clue

Welshie

My husband had his 3 day waiting taken off him for a planned medical procedure  , we new he would be off long term and didnt say anything , however the next month it was in his wages , payslip said something about correction .

Mark calloway

Just checked my wage online. Guess what. They haven't paid me. That place is a bloody joke. My manager is off for two weeks so any idea what I can do?

NightAndDay

Grievance under the breach of terms and conditions of employment contract.

lucgeo

Did you inform the manager, beforehand, that it was a paid absence clarified and confirmed by the union, and is Tesco policy?

If you did, then you grievance under T&C's that your manager and wage clerk were made fully aware of tesco policy beforehand, but knowingly and deliberately withheld payment due.

If you didn't, then you grievance under T&C's that your manager and wage clerk, are ignorant to, or deliberately ignoring, Tesco policy regarding paid absence, and witholding payments due.

Do not wait for your manager to return before you grievance,and do not be persuaded to wait for them to return either!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cinderella

I am also trying to find out if my time off should be paid!

I went home three hours early one shift, and then was signed off by my doctor the next day. I've always been told that if you work more than 50% of the shift, you will still get paid for the whole shift. Is this correct, and is there any info to back it up? I am struggling to find any.

My manager is completely new to the company, so said he isn't aware of this, and has deducted the three hours. After then losing three days pay, I can't afford to lose more, if I'm not supposed to. They are always messing up my pay at Tesco!

Thank you for any help!

You realise that the 3 day wait for sickness due a planned operation is only payable if the colleague has sickness entitlement left. If the colleague doesn't have any entitlement left then they won't get paid.

Mark calloway

How do I do a grievance?

forrestgimp

The forms for a gievence are downloaded and printed from our tesco.

Mark calloway

Thanks guys. I'm stressed enough as it is without work messing my wages up. My mental health is at a low point and this is making it a lot worse.

cindyboo

Cinderella  if you go home sick on a shift you will be paid
Its coded as PA 100 part day sickness cannot be coded as anything else regardless of what time you leave.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk