Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:46AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 442
Total: 442

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfo

Quote from: his scots tie on 12-07-18, 01:22PM
There was something on store communication last week that stores do not have to print contracts of as a result of the recent changes.So you may well not get one to sign this time.As regards transition payment what Tosco are saying  is comparing your pay in nov 16 you are have earning more in nov 17 and nov 18 so no payment.Think a full timer working 36.5 hours inc sundays is earning about £66 per month more in Nov 18 than 16.Whilst i agree its a disgrace that we have to have a five month pay cut and communication as been nil thats the way this company operates.
Is the lack of communication suspicious or just plain rude?

Paulie

The only protest you really have is to spent your shopping money in other supermarkets.  Rip up your discount cards and get a petition going that Sunday workers will not shop at Tesco with some added media attention. Since Direct website now has gone the value of the discount card to me has been diminished anyway.

ETUKL

My mate who works in hr in another company said this so a trip to a solicitor might be needed

Depends whether your original premium amount / rate is contractual. If so, then yes (technically) they could be in breach. Generally, if u get a no-obligation payrise & nothing else changes, there's no need for a new contract (or even for u to sign anything). However, if the payrise is tied into any other Ts & Cs (e.g. increased responsibilities, location, hours, overtime rates, unsocial hours etc.), then u should be asked to sign a contract amendment.

claden

I have found a print out of my wages (from payroll) dated 22/05/2012 and I was earning more money then then I am now. Exactly the same hours nothing at all different. How the he'll is this allowed to happen and I wasn't even a double time Sunday worker.

barafear

sensible_woman:

Did you get any sort of answer to your queries? In fact, have you yet received a letter? Have you asked your manager?

I'm fully conversant with how Tesco have done the calculation - so if you give me a bit of details about your work patterns I can attempt to help.

Remember - the comparator period is Nov 2016-Oct 2017. - Did you work for Tesco during this period? Did you work any Sundays or BHs?

sensible_woman

As yet no explanation thanks for asking.  I'm contracted 12am-6am and 9pm -12am on sundays.  So.... losing quite alot of money.  That's why i can't understand why I'm not due a payment.  Worked same hours for 25 years and every bank holiday which, as you probably know on nights runs in to 6 hrs on a sunday

his scots tie

They compare what you earned 12 months from nov 17 with previous 12 months.Doing the same hours you should have earned 5.25% more than the previous year,thats what the pay rise was and premiums didnt change.Then compare what you are going to earn from November 18 after 2 pay rises and cut in premiums.Most people will find they will be earning pennys more as the cut in premiums will erode the pay rises,but still a little more than previous 12 months.Thats why most people are not getting a pay out.Its a disgrace though to have to take a five month pay cut till rise in november .

Blodwyn

I too work on Sundays, same hours, some contracted & the rest overtime, plus every bank holiday, & have done so for many years. I asked if I was getting a letter and was told no, although I work a lot of hours on Sundays I also work 16.75 during the week. Tesco calculated a years pay from 2016/2017 at £7.52 per hour and compared it to a years pay at £8.42. I am completely baffled as we do not get the new rate until November, completely stitched up once again!

monsterandmadman

Quote from: sfo on 12-07-18, 07:11AM
I'd like to know if everyone on here has been given a new contract in the last couple of weeks. Are they being pressured into signing them immediately and is this going on all over the country?
The reason I want to know is this. When I got a pay rise in November 2017 my new contract wasn't presented until March 2018. However when I get the "pay rise" on July 1st (which results in me being paid less) I am being pressured to sign the new contract within two weeks. I'm just wondering if there is some ulterior motive. Pressure tactics used in my CFC have included - not being allowed to take the contract out of the building unsigned, unwritten promises that any shortfall would be made up, suspension if the contract isn't signed and in the words of my delivery manager "well if you don't sign then you can't work for Tesco". However he did back down when I mentioned constructive dismissal.

If these tactics are going on all over the country it will show that there is deliberate policy to hound Tesco staff to agree to this pay cut. Shame we don't have a union to turn to.

When I spoke with our HR yesterday (my manager was in there too), he had the new contracts all printed and she told him he didn't need them, only the contracts in November will be needed. I thought this strange, and wrong to be honest, especially when the November '17 pay rise came with a brand new contract for me.

I did say that I was working under protest for these next five months until November though, and the reason being my £13 per week reduction in wages. The HR woman basically shrugged it off as, no it doesn't work like that. I will continually remind my manager that I'd like my £13 back every week.

Wondering whether of not to call in sick a few times as it's affecting my health.

Call me

Monsterandmadman im also in the same boat as you , so to speak . You my man have gave me a lightbulb moment yesssss  (-*-)

Hammer10

This calls for a huge bout of stress related sickness maybe a couple of weeks off when your dept have others on holiday causing the most impact.

sfo

They asked me sign up for some overtime the other day - unfortunately I had to decline as I signed on with a temp agency this week. First job today then back to Tesco for the weekend. Be interesting to see how some other companies operate. 8)

bugsbunny

Totally agree Hammer 10 everyone should do it

trolleyboy96

Why harass your manager??? What can they do? Your store manager maybe, wmty yep, but your I'm assuming in this case team manager can't do a thing about it.

JL

SFO Good work.  :thumbup: I work the temp agency too doing a temp to perm one just now so hopefully all goes well. People even have some appreciation for the little help you do because it saves them the work. Tosco is full of overpaid managers creating work for themselves and griping at GAs to try and justify their incompetence. You will be wishing you'd never got involved with Tosco. Enjoy!

Shafted

Quote from: Hammer10 on 13-07-18, 02:27AM
This calls for a huge bout of stress related sickness maybe a couple of weeks off when your dept have others on holiday causing the most impact.
Yes not to worry about the rest of your colleagues picking up the slack while you laze around at home for a bit achieving nothing except a warning for absence if you carry on like that and potentially more money lost for your first three days.

JL

Hammer10 More people should try to make a stance Tesco are clearly taking the p**s out GA and the TMs are supporting Dave by asking too much from people.

bugsbunny

Shafted, maybe you would think differently if you were doing the same job, same hours for less pay.i am afraid to say I don't care what my other colleagues think I only think about myself now. T***co have made sure of that, those at head office only think about themselves so time we did the same. There is no such thing as one team, no one works as a team anymore. Hammer 10 I am with you, and Leigh Day.

cyberdude1

IF they pay rate for sunday is going down. Then do 25% less work per hour? Why work your butt off on what can be an extremely busy day for for some.

barafear

Bit tricky if you work on the till.....what are you supposed to do - only serve 3 out of 4 customers?

Anyway - the actual % reduction amounts to 1/6th - not 1/4 ......

effectively we've gone from being paid 6 quarters (i.e. base rate plus half or two quarters) to being paid 5 quarters.....(i.e. time and one quarter).....

so we've gone from 6 quarters to 5 quarters.....a loss on one out of 6 - i.e. 1/6th.

barafear

Quote from: sensible_woman on 12-07-18, 08:37PM
As yet no explanation thanks for asking.  I'm contracted 12am-6am and 9pm -12am on sundays.  So.... losing quite alot of money.  That's why i can't understand why I'm not due a payment.  Worked same hours for 25 years and every bank holiday which, as you probably know on nights runs in to 6 hrs on a sunday

Are you saying you work Midnight Saturday night/sunday morning to 6am on Sunday morning - then come back and do 9pm Sunday night to Midnight Sunday night/Mon morning?

Do you do any other hours (during the rest of the week)  - either contracted or as "additional hours/overtime" - specifically did you do these hours between Nov 2016 and Oct 2017?

Did you get a cushion payment from going from double time to 1.5 times?

Paulie

Quote from: barafear on 13-07-18, 01:02PM
Bit tricky if you work on the till.....what are you supposed to do - only serve 3 out of 4 customers?

effectively we've gone from being paid 6 quarters (i.e. base rate plus half or two quarters) to being paid 5 quarters.....(i.e. time and one quarter).....

so we've gone from 6 quarters to 5 quarters.....a loss on one out of 6 - i.e. 1/6th.

What about future potential earnings?

sensible_woman

I do Friday Saturday Sunday Monday contracted and have done so for years.  Yes I got a payment when it was cut to time half

barafear

S_W:

If you do more hours on a Friday/Sat/Monday combined than you do on a Sunday - you will not get a letter or cushion payment.

It'll only be in the unlikely event that your combined hours for all your other days is "around the same" that you would.

Effectively, Tesco will take account of the 10.57% increase in your base pay on those other days - as well as the 10.57% increase on your Sunday hours (base rate) to offset the drop from 1.5x to 1.25x.

Effectively, Tesco are stating that when compared with the period before this whole 2 year pay review took place (i.e. before Nov 2017) your weekly wage will be higher.

It just won't be higher by 10.5% or anything near......

barafear

Quote from: crypto on 13-07-18, 01:09PM
Quote from: barafear on 13-07-18, 01:02PM

What about future potential earnings?

What's the meaning of your question?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk