News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:43PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 301
Total: 306

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denbis

In our store there are several drivers that will go on sick or light duties as soon as they get 2 big runs which total 25-26 drops. If they were to have 30 or 40+ there would definately be a struggle to get enough drivers every day.

des

Had 28 drops today from 8am to 6pm ready for my tea and an early night.  Wouldn't like to think I was going back out with another van full till 10pm, accidents going to happen.

blueberet

Clearly whoever has come up with this plan hasn't spent a day in dot com before. Last week I had a 700+kg morning and a 800+kg afternoon on this new pattern there's bound to be runs that come down with similar with an added 600+kg for the evening and the whole reason for this is to retain more drivers someones going to have a surprise when they see the opposite.

Multi skilling shop floor staff as drivers is going to send the damage budget well in to the red, going to have to get the 14 plate iveco fleet back from the scrap yard.

vanguard

if these changes are brought in, what are the criteria for redundancy?

i imagine availability is the key factor but if they have too many drivers available what happens then? I can see performance being factored in.

Does tenure come into play? i'm a new driver but have 10+ years service with the company, would my length of service count from my start date or with my time in the role?

NightAndDay

Redundancy would be offered if either the position doesn't exist anymore or if there's been significant changes to the role. In the event that they do cut back on dot com or the amount of drivers there has to be a fair transparant selection process on who they keep on, length of service with the company (not the role) will be one of the factors.

vanguard

Littlehelpsvery

Anybody know anything about the 25 urban fulfillment centres they plan to open over the next 3 years

sammy

First one is West Bromwich opened by March next year. They already have the space for it so new building required. When the shop was built 2013/2014ish they made the shop floor space small. So they have almost a super store size shop sitting empty. And 1 point in the news it was reported it was going to become an gym. But it’s been sat empty since it open. So I guess it great for Tesco no building work required just the fitting out of it.

Littlehelpsvery

So are they taking dotcom out of local store and all running from 1 fulfillment centres?

sammy

Pretty much. There will 25 Dotcom locations. With in UK.

kaled78

strange that asda closed most of their dark.com stores down,now tesco plans to open some??,cant see it working in rural locations such as parts of scotland,cornwall ect

Shafted

Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-10-19, 10:33AM
Redundancy would be offered if either the position doesn't exist any more or if there's been significant changes to the role. In the event that they do cut back on dot com or the amount of drivers there has to be a fair transparent selection process on who they keep on, length of service with the company (not the role) will be one of the factors.
It may not be one as it hasn't been used more recently in other similar situations. It was I think a very last resort.

CosmicSpacehead

I've just heard of this odd idea in my store (12 vans), and I can't say I'm liking it. I hope it isn't rolled out everywhere.

I barely have the stamina for the current 0830 to 1900 shifts. Lol
Yes, we load our own vans. (For now).

I don't think I could do the job much longer than that, not to mention, when am I supposed to get a good meal in, now there's no staff cafe? I don't want to live off ready meals and pot noodles!

This is making an already unhealthy job, more unhealthy, and frankly dangerous.

Have any of the bosses tried concentrating on driving for the full 12 hours? No, breaks don't count, because they also make you tired. This is going to cause more damage, and more sickness, which will of course be our fault, and drive moral even lower than it already is.

FALC

I wonder what Usdaw collective bargaining position is regarding the 44 hour week?

Considering that Usdaw Rule 6 states "to obtain a maximum working week of 40 hours or less".

Is the National Officer disregarding this Rule?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Shafted on 06-10-19, 06:15PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-10-19, 10:33AM
Redundancy would be offered if either the position doesn't exist any more or if there's been significant changes to the role. In the event that they do cut back on dot com or the amount of drivers there has to be a fair transparent selection process on who they keep on, length of service with the company (not the role) will be one of the factors.
It may not be one as it hasn’t been used more recently in other similar situations. It was I think a very last resort.

Length of service would be one, the main reason being that longer servers would command higher redundancy payout. It's good business sense to retain the longer servers where possible.

lucgeo

In my area, they're advertising for 5 hour shifts?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

fatboy

Cosmicspacehead has it spot on. There won't be many drivers have the stamina to do the new proposed shifts. We have a lot of older, long term drivers who struggle with the heavy shifts now. They say they are doing this to try to retain the drivers by offering better hours & pay & to decrease the turnover of drivers, but I personally think it will have completely the opposite effect. More drivers are gonna leave & recruitment will soar. Good experienced drivers will leave by the bucket load but the powers that be dont seem to see this.

fatboy

Lucego, what hours are the 5 hour shift for?

lucgeo

One shift 8-1pm, two shifts 7-12 noon, one shift 7-11am....18 hour flexi contract

blueberet

I had a look the other day at driver vacancies around the UK there were a few that had some weird shift patterns,

Hull East Yorkshire HU6 7XP - 10-8 and 8 to 5
Dorset Dt1 2ry - 8 to 5, 10-7pm and 12-9
Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire SA61 1BU - 4-8, 430-10, 2-8 and 1145-5

CosmicSpacehead

Quote from: fatboy on 14-10-19, 09:53PM
Cosmicspacehead has it spot on. There won't be many drivers have the stamina to do the new proposed shifts. We have a lot of older, long term drivers who struggle with the heavy shifts now. They say they are doing this to try to retain the drivers by offering better hours & pay & to decrease the turnover of drivers, but I personally think it will have completely the opposite effect. More drivers are gonna leave & recruitment will soar. Good experienced drivers will leave by the bucket load but the powers that be dont seem to see this.

Most of the drivers (especially the older, or more experienced ones) have already stated they'll take redundancy if these hours go ahead.

Almost no one wants to spend an entire day in a van, and we already lift 500-800kg 5 times a day.
(Loading, unloading, reloading, unloading, and reloading again).
My back is dodgy as it is. Lol

I'll welcome redundancy too!

Apparently, our local Asda has gone to 8AM to 10PM shifts, so 14 hour shifts! Although, I can't confirm this , as it's just hearsay for now.

fatboy

My dotcom manager told me that redundancy wouldn't be an option.

lucgeo

I'm unsure how it would be a redundancy issue, unless I've missed a post that gives a reason as to why ???

There are a few things drivers could do, if they are having difficulty with the new hours...

1. Form and present a collective grievance.

2. Ask for a capability study

3. All go off sick in the same week with bad backs, let the managers go out and see for         themselves!

rogerthedodger

All rumours as it stands think only 1 post from anyone with real info and that’s from a friend, if it was a bad as it being made out,
A. It won’t get rolled out and
B. I’m sure we’d have heard much more noise

blueberet

Is it not a redundancy issue if the job no longer exists? Post 104 suggests that one of the pilot stores is dropping from 42 drivers to 30, and post 144 mentions delays to the roll out due to notice periods for redundancy and contract changes.

Roger this is Tesco we're talking about if it is as bad as its being made out to be they will go ahead regardless as it suits them and there is a chance that none of the drivers in the trial stores are on VLH I'm sure we would have heard some information from them good or bad if they were it is only 4 stores taking part.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk