News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:57PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 287
Total: 289

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biglove

I've read an article that PFS are possibly going to close due to the coronovirus. has anyone else heard this or is it fake news?

kateluff

Quote from: cheesy cob on 01-04-20, 05:28PM
Quote from: kateluff on 01-04-20, 04:59PM
been in the bakery 16 years ,all our staff at chester city have over 15 years service , looks like no one has full time hours
You going full bake off
no scratch white

genome

Quote from: Biglove on 01-04-20, 05:58PM
I've read an article that PFS are possibly going to close due to the coronovirus. has anyone else heard this or is it fake news?

Unlikely, they are an essential service. Also this is not the right thread for this as even if pfs closed due to covid it would not be permanent and there wouldn't be job losses from it.

cheesy cob

College 1
Pre- operation checks, turn on ovens and remove thaw and serve
Remove from freezer 1 rack of pastries and frozen rolls and bread
Bake 1st wave of pastries and frozen bread and rolls
Place frozen pastries that don't fit in oven back in freezer
Bake 2nd wave of frozen bread
Bake bloomer and tin
Tidy fixtures ,replenish shelves check for OOC and fetch more pastries
Bake scratch french
Bake remaining pastries
Label thaw and serve and display
Bake remaining scratch white bread
Pack french
Bake lg pies
Bake cookies
Pack Display french and core breads
Pack and display specificaty breads
Pack doughnuts
Begin to pack pastries priority on gaps
Wipe down prep area
Break time
Slice a variety of bread
Pack remaining french and pastries
Clean and tidy prep area
Tidy back area
Tidy and put away packaging delivery
Replenish isb fixtures including tubs
Pack pies
Tidy freezer
Complete 1st reductions

Hammer10

Seems like a f***ed up way of doing things I would do it different stuff the list they have given you .bake all breads and pastries whilst doing other bits and pieces pack sticks and batons in between.

Baker4life

Hammer10 yes would do the same. That list is rubbish

BarryZola

Bakery colleagues in my store don't even know how to do reductions and would be disgusted at the idea that they actually have to do their own. The lady working on the plant bread usually has to add their reductions on to her already almost impossible task whilst they have a good laugh in the bakery.

cheesy cob

We only have 3 people in the bakery every day now 2 full time 1 paker and we do everything now that includes hot cross, bread pudding all white bread and roll all brown bread and rolls all the confectionery, slicing so list looks easy

Delly

Do you mean now or when the new heat map kicks in
We at the moment well befor the virus  set in we only  had 2 people in 1 baker I packer
It is not any better now

cheesy cob

We have 2 bakers now and a packer which is
Tight with days off and that

Hammer10

What’s hot cross lol,haven’t made any for 6 weeks got cages of it bad enough making bread and roll.

Notmyname

Bakery colleagues in my store don't even know how to do reductions and would be disgusted at the idea that they actually have to do their own. The lady working on the plant bread usually has to add their reductions on to her already almost impossible task whilst they have a good laugh in the bakery.
What a load of s*** you are talking a load of c**p the bakery is and always has been a misunderstood department in every store only when you've walked in a bakers shoes would you know how hard it is

Oldman

CheesyCob I take it your going partbake as no mention of production?

Monkeyman999

How true never seen a bakery where u have a spare 5 minutes most times now have my break end of shift if one at all love to know the bakery your on about
Quote from: Notmyname on 01-04-20, 08:38PM
What a load of s*** you are talking a load of c**p the bakery is and always has been a misunderstood department in every store only when you've walked in a bakers shoes would you know how hard it is

Monkeyman999

Can imagine this is a example for a smaller bakery with little packers
Quote from: cheesy cob on 01-04-20, 06:35PM
College 1
Pre- operation checks, turn on ovens and remove thaw and serve
Remove from freezer 1 rack of pastries and frozen rolls and bread
Bake 1st wave of pastries and frozen bread and rolls
Place frozen pastries that don't fit in oven back in freezer
Bake 2nd wave of frozen bread
Bake bloomer and tin
Tidy fixtures ,replenish shelves check for OOC and fetch more pastries
Bake scratch french
Bake remaining pastries
Label thaw and serve and display
Bake remaining scratch white bread
Pack french
Bake lg pies
Bake cookies
Pack Display french and core breads
Pack and display specificaty breads
Pack doughnuts
Begin to pack pastries priority on gaps
Wipe down prep area
Break time
Slice a variety of bread
Pack remaining french and pastries
Clean and tidy prep area
Tidy back area
Tidy and put away packaging delivery
Replenish isb fixtures including tubs
Pack pies
Tidy freezer
Complete 1st reductions

cheesy cob

Yeah small do about £5000 a week

Baker1

Has anyone read the coronavirus update on ourtesco about the bonus? We won’t get paid from April until May if we leave the company as it is paid at the end of May and if you leave before that then you don’t get it. Absolute jokers as usual.

dairyfresh

Something  to ask in your meetings think if people have left through redundancy they've still got bonuses in the past.

Baker4life

Has any other bakers who are affected had their redundancy package told to them yet? Is it lower, the same or higher than the VLH calculator?

Theansweris42

Afternoon all, well, in our store the bakery takes around £10k a week, job changes as follows, one Baker in a 4am, another at 6. Confec person in at 6am and another person in later, times to be confirmed. No redundancies but a S/S Baker to swap departments. This is a scratch bakery now having a reduced range with the loss of brown breads.
I imagine most changes are store specific, hours etc.

Rhonda7a

Quote from: Baker4life on 02-04-20, 04:41PM
Has any other bakers who are affected had their redundancy package told to them yet? Is it lower, the same or higher than the VLH calculator?
The VLH calculator was accurate. The only difference was 8 weeks in lieu instead of 4 which results in slightly more than it says  :)

Baker4life

Cheers rhonda7a

Baker1

However PILON is taxable so the figure on VLH calculator is probably not far off

Oldman

Quote from: Theansweris42 on 02-04-20, 05:25PM
Afternoon all, well, in our store the bakery takes around £10k a week, job changes as follows, one Baker in a 4am, another at 6. Confec person in at 6am and another person in later, times to be confirmed. No redundancies but a S/S Baker to swap departments. This is a scratch bakery now having a reduced range with the loss of brown breads.
I imagine most changes are store specific, hours etc.
are these full time hours ?

Theansweris42

Yes, full time for the bakers, not sure about the 6pm finish person.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk