News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 322
Total: 325

Till Losses

Started by delysia, 06-04-11, 09:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw2000

Hi, I couldn't find a specific thread for this so this is the closest I've got. Support and advice would be greatly appreciated to put my mind at ease.

I've been in the business for almost ten months now, working on the shop floor. It was my first job and I had no previous retail experience. I've been there almost ten months and still not been on a checkout, I've been called a couple of times but insisted I'm not checkout trained. Recently, however, it's been said I actually am trained, but to be honest I have no clue how to even work the checkouts - and I lost my 'login' code after the first week.

I wouldn't mind going onto checkouts for red relief or when it's busy, but I don't believe I'm capable - and I'm scared to keep refusing when I'm asked to jump on a till. What should I do? Should I request re-training from a manager? Could I ask for another login?

Are the checkouts easy to work? Is it as daunting as it seems working on tills for the first time, especially without experience?

Any help much appreciated.  8) :) (-*-)

lucgeo

Speak to the checkout manager and tell them the situation.

Ask them to clarify who supposedly trained you on checkouts and when? If they still maintain you have been on checkouts, ask to see transactions done on your login number and when?

State you are happy to be fully trained to support checkouts ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Walker

It's pretty much an incredibly easy job...

My tips to avoid till losses are:
1. Count change down in denomination. I.e you are giving 6.83 change...
First £5 note, leaving 1.83. Second 1 coin, leaving 83p. Now 50p coin leaving 33p. 20p coin. 10p. 2p. 1p
2. Then add your money back up in reverse order. You should get to the correct change.
3. Glance back at the screen. Is the change you're giving the right number?
Other tips:
1. When taking notes always say the denomination. "20 pounds leaving 6.83 change" just before putting it in.
2. As a shop floor worker you're not expected to be fast giving change. Don't be. Take your time.
3. Go to till support, mention the till number thing (easy to rectify) and your concerns and ask if they can let you shadow someone for a while and have them watch you to make sure you're doing it right.
4. Do drops and work from clean tills.

Till work looks much more intimidating than it is. Basically, any problems hit the buzzer and ask.

commonsense

I have been with Tesco for a short while. Till operator, told several times re double scanning so I asked for more training. This worked I received a green G...plus gained my bronze. However the old devil came back double scanning reared its ugly head. I started losing confidence fast and said I was surprised that they still wanted me to stay. No they said your customer service is excellent even the older employees make this mistake. I am beginning to doubt the tills. I served a customer with 2 items and the screen showed he had purchased 3. When I asked why this was..I was asked why did I think it happened :question:

Denzil

Don't worry, it happens to us all.
Make sure your scanner is turned up to the highest level so you can clearly hear the beep.
Always double check if you use the quantity button, only yesterday I rang in 6 instead of 3.
Using the touch screen you can accidently touch a fruit or veg, my favourite seems to be a lemon, or when going to ring in cash I charge for a carrier bag.
Like I said, don't worry, I've been a checkout operator for 25 years :)

commonsense

Cream Crackered

Many thanks for that. I have one more for you. I served customer he had card for payment in his hand I looked away whilst he used it. He then said he was not sure that he had paid for his shopping, as a receipt had been produced I would say he had, however just to be clear I called for team leader none came ,as my queue was growing in  I told the gentleman to proceed to customer service and apologised to him within seconds a person from CS came to me and said It was not her job to tell me, but she said I should not have done this. less than 3 Min's later ass manager took me to the office for me to explain why I did what I did. I told him, and received a grilling on why ? several times over, I told him that I was not comfortable with how this was going and said I wanted to suspend the conversation. I left my shift because I felt intimidated and was unable to go in to work the next day. I am due too speak to HR on my next shift...not sure how to handle this?

JL

Just stick to your story or say nothing. The managers at Tesco like to create work for themselves so that they can try to justify the salary. They keep asking people the same questions hoping people will change the answer. In my store line managers try it on with people on the shop floor and in offices all the time. Quite a few have walked out due to it.  They take the p**s all the time and when GAs give them it back suddenly dummies get thrown about. Don't expect any promotions, holidays you want, overtime, good reviews or favours after you have put them in there place. They are as childish as it comes at Tesco. They expect it all from you but will give you nothing in return.

Denzil

Commonsense
With regards to your customer if he had paid your screen will clear and a receipt will be issued, if he had not paid and removed his card the screen will prompt you.
Your mistake was putting the onus on the customer to go to customer services and resolve this, luckily for you he was honest.
I really think you need more training and I personally don't believe you should be on a checkout not knowing if a customer has paid or not.

Walking out and then not turning up the next day is not the way to go.
You need to speak to a union rep and ask them to accompany you to your next meeting.
Good luck

VLittleH1950

What are you supposed to do regarding accidents like hitting the ten rather than the five on a till for cash? Nobody in a management position has pulled me up (so far) though I've just started late last year and constantly worry.

Welshie

As long as correct change is given it's totally irrelevant.

Walker

Quote from: VLittleH1950 on 27-01-18, 05:01PM
What are you supposed to do regarding accidents like hitting the ten rather than the five on a till for cash? Nobody in a management position has pulled me up (so far) though I've just started late last year and constantly worry.

Basically as long as you know you hit the wrong button you're fine, just give the correct change.

If you hit cash instead of cashback you have to call team support and they rectify it.

If u don't realize that you have done it then I suppose you just  get the interview / let's talk.

FatFraz

Walker

Done it a few times. Easy mistake to make. You will usually get an Lets Talk/Investigatory meeting at the very most. Have seen people disciplined but this harsh and rarer. What action they take will often depend if you are the managers friend or someone who just tries to get on with the job who openly doesn't always agree with the managers. The managers often take things too personally and cut of their nose to spite the face. Hopefully it wont come to all this and someone will see the bigger picture. It was an honest mistake when you were possibly severely understaffed.

notsofunny

some times I feel some posting are done not to help someone worry less about things , But to make a big drama out of Nothing , Poor Guy/girl has asks about punching in £20 instead of £10 , And instead of saying that the Important thing is to make sure that they give the correct change back , (Like someone has said,) They get a reply about Managers friend ,taking things personally ,,,,,,,,,,, nose  >:(

Walker

Quote from: Weed on 27-01-18, 07:32PM
Walker

Done it a few times. Easy mistake to make. You will usually get an Lets Talk/Investigatory meeting at the very most. Have seen people disciplined but this harsh and rarer. What action they take will often depend if you are the managers friend or someone who just tries to get on with the job who openly doesn't always agree with the managers. The managers often take things too personally and cut of their nose to spite the face. Hopefully it wont come to all this and someone will see the bigger picture. It was an honest mistake when you were possibly severely understaffed.

I did it once and got an investigatory meeting, pretty much inevitable because that's the procedure.

But nothing to worry about either.

(Investigatory meeting is not an disciplinary investigation... Mainly to find out if you need any training).

forrestgimp

Quote from: optout on 20-10-16, 08:17PM
How long do tesco keep cctv footage?

Would it be possible to request footage of the time a person is on the till?

Could a person claim the whole 4 hours?

It shouldn't matter whether you have left tesco or not?

what would be the cost for such a request?

Yes you can, if they have cctv with you on which is part of some investigation they will give yo a copy or they should, if you just want anything with your face on I think there is an admin charge but unsure how much.

Walker

Post was from 2016.

schui1024

Working on checkout, when you start on a till, you're not given the option / chance / time to check how much is in the till when starting.

Is it therefore fair to be held accountable for how much is in the till when you finish and do the lift (pod up)

rogersmart

I do not understand what all the uncertainty is about.  Since the installation of tills that automatically log every single transaction in terms of real activity and expected activity, the cash office is able to identify the exact point at which a till shortage arises.  I work in a PFS and have, I think, had three occasions where I have been interviewed about giving the customer the wrong change.  On each occasion I was presented with a computer printout showing the exact time of the mistake and the colleague logged on at that point (me!).  In two of the cases I couldn't remember what had happened and it was concluded that new plastic notes must have been stuck together (outcome - "be more careful when giving change, especially in notes") and in the third case I could remember that I subsequently discovered that I had put a £20 note in one of the coupon slots, so it didn't register.  A further check of the till record showed that amount "reappearing" a couple of transactions later, when I put it right (outcome - no action).  What these cases serve to show is that the new tills completely remove the need to ask the questions that others on here have asked.

Walker

Different Tesco stores have different tills, Rogersmart. The ones in my store are about ten years old. They are slightly smart tills that only weigh the money when you log in and log out. Others still use dumb tills.

gomezz

Arkwright never seemed to have a problem with losses using his old till.  Unless you count fingers! 
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

rogersmart

Thanks, Walker.  I assumed - like an idiot! - that Tesco had rolled out Smart Tills across all stores.  I should have known better!!

ElderEnclave

We've only recently had smart tills installed at our store, it's a pain but not as bad as we expected since we've had the old tills for years.

Sometimes the money bank doesn't accept the note and you look down and see meh tries again and it works.  It's just pain in the arse but good for business and protection for us and the store.

ElderEnclave

Quote from: ABC2180 on 31-07-17, 02:47AM
Hi, I couldn't find a specific thread for this so this is the closest I've got. Support and advice would be greatly appreciated to put my mind at ease.

I've been in the business for almost ten months now, working on the shop floor. It was my first job and I had no previous retail experience. I've been there almost ten months and still not been on a checkout, I've been called a couple of times but insisted I'm not checkout trained. Recently, however, it's been said I actually am trained, but to be honest I have no clue how to even work the checkouts - and I lost my 'login' code after the first week.

I wouldn't mind going onto checkouts for red relief or when it's busy, but I don't believe I'm capable - and I'm scared to keep refusing when I'm asked to jump on a till. What should I do? Should I request re-training from a manager? Could I ask for another login?

Are the checkouts easy to work? Is it as daunting as it seems working on tills for the first time, especially without experience?

Any help much appreciated.  8) :) (-*-)

Ask your shift leader or manager to recover your login or let you use theirs. Ask someone to help show you what to do. It's what we do in our store. If you need help ring the bell. We're a team and we're all here to help each other. Checkouts do vary though from the big ones in Extras metros and then the small express stores ones.

Redshoes

Never use anyone else's log in. It's easy to look up your till number and reset the password, takes just seconds to do. If you have not signed off your training record card you are not trained. There is online training for checkouts that should be completed after experience at till and all this needs to be signed for. Just having you on the list of people with till numbers is not training. Your first shift with the company is your induction and then after that it's your till training, and then you join your dept.
Going forward, say happy to support but you need training. Say you don't even know how to sign on and have not completed your training and ask them to check your training record card. If you actively want to learn checkouts you can ask for them to schedule you in a time to train.

NavyNinja

So basically I was on the till this morning and my customer had a £3 meal deal or something. They paid the right amount (£3 exactly) but I accidently tapped £40 as the tender instead of cash then enter. I only noticed as I closed the cash draw and glanced at the till screen in time to see it telling me to give £37 change. Team Support said that was not a problem and my till wouldn't be out/short. Is this right or will I now have to have a meeting about it at some point please?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk