News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 319
Total: 323

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confused.com

Quote from: Spaceranger1 on 14-03-19, 08:22PM
Personally, I would grab redundancy with both hands and run. Problem being that as I have got over 40 years servitude and only 2 years to go for long overdue parole(retirement) (-*-) It really wouldn't be cost effective to grant me my wish. One of my colleagues with much less indentured time will be put out of their misery instead >:( All to save a few quid to award themselves as a nice little earner. >:D

Thats what annoys me most there are plenty if staff who want redundancy but will not be offered it and other staff forced to take it that do not want it. How is that legal its certainly morally wrong in my view

optout

It is within the gift of tesco to offer bumping, and any real union would have negotiated voluntary redundancies first, BUT usduuuuur it seems have EITHER not tried to negotiate this with tesco OR have tried and failed. SO you decide whether your union is trying hard enough for its members. 
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

lackofinterest

the first one more than likely. they're a f****ng disgrace to the workforce >:D

lucgeo

Quote from: optout on 16-03-19, 10:13PM
It is within the gift of tesco to offer bumping, and any real union would have negotiated voluntary redundancies first, BUT usduuuuur it seems have EITHER not tried to negotiate this with tesco OR have tried and failed. SO you decide whether your union is trying hard enough for its members.

Unsure how that would be feasible? With so many colleagues on different contracted hours, no company would pay a full timer with long service a redundancy payment, in place of a low hour, few years service colleague.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

But the future of retail appears to be having multiple employees on short part time flexi contracts. Surely it would make sense to offer voluntary redundancy to people sitting on full time fixed hour contracts. Yes it could cost a lot in the short term but long term the business would be leaner and fitter.

fatboy

Just been browsing job sites online & there appears to be lots of jobs advertised for travelex in Tesco stores? Anyone heard anything?

Redshoes

I have been with the company 26 years and 24 years ago the store I was in wax offered voluntary redundancy. It was a nightmare. It's not about full or part time, it's about the skills. When the people left we all had to shuffle round afterwards and try and fill the gaps. Targeting a role just removes that role and can be planned for. On the plus side that store ended up with a team of people who were trained in several areas, but it took a while to build. It shook up whole store and people worked hours they had never done before and we lost some of the experts. The feeling in that store was harsh for many years after and is still remembered by all those who went through it.

lucgeo

Quote from: londoner83 on 17-03-19, 09:40AM
But the future of retail appears to be having multiple employees on short part time flexi contracts. Surely it would make sense to offer voluntary redundancy to people sitting on full time fixed hour contracts. Yes it could cost a lot in the short term but long term the business would be leaner and fitter.

Aye that's the future....also why Tesco wants everybody as non dept. specific GA. No one dept being affected, and the whole store absorbs any future hour reductions.

As we all know tesco is very tunnel visioned, there has been talk for years of buying out contracts etc..all to no avail, as the natural wastage option has always been the preference, ever since the Saturday premium buyout. I would wager the remaining full time GA's are few, but they also carry long service records which is around 28k p.p. Why pay that to people who aren't affected and may well retire within the next couple years.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Winner

Hi.

Is the beauty world going in stores? I have heard this is happening in the annoucement?

JJCashier

I have heard today from an in-store manager that there is to be a discussion on Monday about cutting all full time workers hours to flexi contracts.
Anyone else heard anything as rather concerned as I have a full time contract?

Jobless

They do not need to pay PT staff as much sick pay as FT staff when they go off sick for a week. They have 2/3/4/5 PT doing the hours of 1 FT who they can get to do the overtime. More staff are visable visible on the shop-floor to help customers.

7ballking

Does anybody know what happens to save as you earn and buy as you earn shares if one gets made redundant.

Fair play

You can have the money back.  Buy shares with the money you have built up to keep or sale.  You don't have to pay tax on them if made redundant.

TwatcoCDD

Quote from: Winner on 21-07-19, 03:59PM
Hi.

Is the beauty world going in stores? I have heard this is happening in the announcement?

From the collective consultations BW management and colleagues is being removed from 9 stores

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nomad

https://stockdailydish.com/u-k-s-largest-grocer-tesco-says-9000-jobs-to-be-impacted-by-business-turnaround-plan/

QuoteThe supermarket said in a statement on Monday that the main change in its stores would be to its fresh meat, fish and delicatessen areas after it recognized that fewer customers were frequenting those counters.

The grocer said it expected to close counters in about 90 stores, with the other 700 trading with either "a full or flexible counter."
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Trystan1988

Isn't that the job losses earlier in the year? It sounds identical to those

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023001

kaled78

the fact is stuff that was the norm in all stores in the past,is now deemed wrong,and a lot of people have not been trained in the new way of doing things

Nomad

Trystan1988 you're right, I was unsure as to if there was anything 'new' in this article.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Spongbob

Let's have a vote who wants redundancy me me me   

his scots tie

King1999

That would be very welcome.👍

odif

takethemoneyandrun

Just praying for this before the company goes the same  way as
BHS
Thomas cook
Woolworths
It's just a matter of time...praying hes coming after the 36.5 hr contract...had can have mine with Bells on it.. :thumbup:

King1999

Show me the money 👍🏻

Disappointed 64

Don't bank on it!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk