News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 306
Total: 310

words fail me

Started by tumshie, 18-10-14, 10:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tumshie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29652764

A blind woman was left "horrified" and "distressed" when staff at Tesco in north London shouted at her to get her guide dog out.

happygirl

What a sad world we live in.  Why does this company employ such people. :thumbdown:

danandnic05

i let most people in carrying there little dogs there often cleaner than some of our customers

and I've yet to see an express with a no dogs allowed sign in window

spokeydokey

I think the worst thing about all of this is that after the woman clarifying that it was a guide dog (which should be immediately obvious anyway, but regardless) the cashier didn't back down, didn't call for a manager, or even apologise. Surely another member of staff should have intervened and diffused the situation? Not that I'm shifting blame off of the cashier, they really should have known better. 'Tis sad.

VladPutin

Disgraceful! Had that happened in my store, I would have apologized to the woman for the offence caused and asked her to wait while I fetched the Duty Manager. And I would have encouraged her to put in a formal complaint about the CHIMPS. >:(

oliver

Disgusting story, a man and wife who train blind dog puppy's and use our store all the time for part of there training.when I first saw it years ago I thought it was so lovely to see ,also Tesco being so supportive.

gomezz

To me, it also demonstrates yet again the inadequacy of the training that Tesco give their staff.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

fargone

I cannot think of any other business, where this would happen. Its just one disaster after another.

penguin

Disgusting treatment towards the lady in question, I hope the staff involved are made to say sorry in person for this disgrace.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Loki

Quote from: gomezz on 18-10-14, 07:15PM
To me, it also demonstrates yet again the inadequacy of the training that Tesco give their staff.

Why on earth would one be in need of training for something so obvious?

Does one need training to not s**t on the floor?

Ridiculous.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

gomezz

It may not be so obvious so someone who was brought up in another part of the world where such things are not part of the cultural ethos.  I am pretty sure I could easily step on local toes when visiting many countries.  But regardless of that the company still has a duty to train people on the legal aspect and what it means for them in practise as retail workers.

Loki

So you're telling me that out of the three cashiers who shouted at the poor lady, none of them had any idea about the existence of guide dogs? Come on!

This is the UK gomezz. If the cashiers are not versed in such matters due the possibility of them coming from another country, then they should f**k off back to where they came from.

slungmyhoook

I hope appropriate disciplinary action has been taken- ie they are sacked.

gomezz

Quote from: Loki on 19-10-14, 08:24AMIf the cashiers are not versed in such matters due the possibility of them coming from another country, then they should f**k off back to where they came from.
An attitude that is as least as repulsive as one born out of not knowing about guide dogs.

Mr Grumpy

For me the whole story seems like a load of old tatt,  quoted from the BBC website:

"She said three cashiers shouted "no pets allowed" and to leave the shop"

...just doesn't seem to sit right as to what would of happened even if 1 cashier challenged her and her guide dog to leave. I very much doubt that whoever dealt with it at store level believed it either, but offered a £20 voucher to stop her going to the press and as a be quiet and go away gesture

Loki

Quote from: gomezz on 19-10-14, 05:45PM
An attitude that is as least as repulsive as one born out of not knowing about guide dogs.

I disagree. I'm not from these shores but am aware of the need for guide dogs. If I treated the lady in the same manner whilst ignoring the high-visibility harness labelled "Guide Dog" and the outcry from other customers, then I would be undeserving of being a British Citizen.

It's the ridiculous excuses that you make for such people that I find repulsive.

Nomad

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Tesco-apologise-dad-wrongly-accused-using/story-27483144-detail/story.html

QuoteNow Tesco has apologised for its mistake and offered the father-of-two and his family free tea and cake.

How could one refuse such a large magnanimous offer, a cup of tea and a piece of cake  :o   8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

Female Tesco shopper punched in face by gang of teen thugs after she told staff she saw them stealing.

QuoteEmilie Martin, 29, was left covered in blood with a huge gash above her left eye night after the teenage boys attacked her.

The event manager from east London was stunned when the store manager at the Tesco Superstore in Hackney told her she would have to pay for a bag of frozen peas to ease her pain.

??? WTF
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

A very close relation of mine is blind, sadly this happens in all sorts of places and more often than one would think.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

seenitall

Words clearly don't fail this punster in a Tesco in Ireland tormenting his girlfriend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoS0fWo2zss

(via re-tales.net)

Nomad

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/reports/news/a41846/mental-health-discrimination-tesco/

Quote"I was confused, because I was over-age. But the woman told me it was 'Tesco policy' not to serve alcohol to people with scars on their arms in front of a queue of about three people," she explained.

Not a policy that I have ever come across, even when shopping after cutting back my garden bushes, which inevitably draw blood in several places.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tumshie

Good on the customer for following through by speaking to the SM in person.

What on earth was the checkout operator thinking, though?

Nomad

Here's what you get when you search for vegans on Tesco website

'2 results for 'vegan'. Did you mean virgin'?

Perhaps they should have searched for 'corn'  :D

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tumshie

Or 'grass & twigs'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk