Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 03:46AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,902
  • Latest: Adrian
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,414
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 474
Total: 474

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougall

Dougall

He’s back online...expect a long diatribe any moment now
😂😂

Dougall

Give us lots of syllables 😂

NightAndDay

Quote from: Dougall on 28-03-20, 11:54PM
I even love vlad putin 😂 they are sincere. You are just so stuck up and narcissistic I bet you are one of those that tries to get others in trouble

There's no "getting others in trouble" in my job, we all have respect for each other and have the maturity, there's no disciplinaries except in appropriate cases and in such events, they're done properly unlike at Tesco, I'm not directly managed myself as I'm a consultant, I hold a very senior position.

You can assume all you want, as you said, you still know nothing about me outside the small bits of information I've divulged. You make your own mind up without knowing all the facts, If I profiled you I'd say you're like the 19 year old s*** stirrers who brown nose the managers.

Now are you going to contribute to the topic or are you going to continue to prove to be an argument for birth control.

Dougall

Due to you divulging your college status matey boy I can assume you are in your 30’s so I am older and wiser and have been on this planet a lot longer  than you ...the birth control debate definitely does apply to you I’m afraid

lucgeo

@Night and Day

The topic was if CSD staff in a singular store, could dictate their own policy of refusing to accept cash.

Yes, you did state "unless instructed by someone more senior" but you have used it out of the original context, that being..."there will be a difference between stores, as unless instructed by someone more senior, the SM will have to come to the decision of what can and can't be done."

That, to me, reads that an SM will make a personal decision for their store operations, as no direction is yet forthcoming from senior teams.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

[admin]Can we all get back to discussing the matter at hand rather than commenting on each others failings.[/admin]

If you think a point made is wrong attack the point not the person.

I don't want to lock this topic or delete posts, but I will if needed.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

The only thing I can see that's different about cash transactions is that the distance between colleague and customer is potentially less. The actual handindling of the cash is not the issue. If we banned cash transaction we may prevent some of the most vulnerable people from being able to buy basics.
We encourage card payment, in store and at PFS. In the PFS I think it was to prevent less customers visiting the kiosk but the kiosks are now closed.
If it's the actual money that is the issue what about the cash office colleagues. Do we shut down the processing of money or provide the cash office colleagues with hazard suits.
Its all down to washing of hands and not touching face. If you are not licking your fingers or rubbing your eyes the actual handling of money is not the highest risk part of serving people. We should focus on what is the high risk part of the job and not the low risk part. If you are not prepared to take cash or touch lottery tickets there is little point in the desks being open. Should we not just close the desks and sell cigarettes through the main bank tills.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 29-03-20, 09:50AM
@Night and Day

The topic was if CSD staff in a singular store, could dictate their own policy of refusing to accept cash.

Yes, you did state "unless instructed by someone more senior" but you have used it out of the original context, that being..."there will be a difference between stores, as unless instructed by someone more senior, the SM will have to come to the decision of what can and can't be done."

That, to me, reads that an SM will make a personal decision for their store operations, as no direction is yet forthcoming from senior teams.

Using cash is an example of an aspect which isn't covered in the Coronavirus policy, the point I was trying to make is because this is an unprecedented situation, the Coronavirus policy is still being amended, probably based on the seriousness of the outbreak. Not every single aspect has been covered by the Coronavirus policy, for the aspects that haven't that's where I mean  "instructed by an SM or someone more senior". Obviously decisions such as not accepting cash as payment would need to be a company wide decision, however there are still lots of other scenarios which it would probably take longer to consult the directors for a decision as opposed to a there and now common sense decision.

Dougall

The contactless limit is being raised and the cashless part is under constant review, the issue with going cashless first without a united response is that would then cause pockets of people then flocking to stores that still do which would hinder the point of trying to make people stay calm and not panic buy and just go out for reasonable reasons

Mathias casablancas

If you are paying in cash then you automatically cant be keeping the distance of 2m I suppose, because you have to be touching hands almost. Unless they put the money on the counter?? not sure how people are doing it.

I keep seeing the word "encouraging" ie encouraging people to pay with a card or encouraging people to shop alone, ecouraging people to shop with one other person max. Be better if they was just direct with people. I recon have cash payments only at the self service checkouts.

NightAndDay

I think under the current conditions, if an individual refuses to work with cash because of the risks of contraction, options should be looked at for alternative safe duties. Saying that however, with the increase to the contactless limit, the adoption of a company wide cashless policy in the future isn't unlikely to happen.

Dougall

Screens have now been delivered for the manned checkouts

NightAndDay

They've already been installed In Express formats a few days ago.

Dougall

They weren’t in every store the deadline was end of Friday and it was extended. There are now issues with them not fitting

Siwel123

Welshie

Ours went in Wednesday night  and strict social distancing guidelines in place at tills , harder to police throughout the store . I have to say theyve got our most fierce member if staff walking up and down main bank giving customers instructions where to stand, when to put shopping on belt , where to stand when putting shopping on belt etc even I was a bit scared paying for my shopping , there is no messing about and noone breaking the social distancing rules at our check-outs , she's doing an amazing job !

Sadcow

Hi I'm currently off work self isolating with covid symptoms I work on self serve what measures are being put in place for our safety? Checkouts get screens what is planned for self serve I am worried that when I go back to work  I am worried that I could potentially still be contagious (if I'd had the virus) or still at risk if I hadn't

Gorgeous69

Does anybody know if the door is open to the public in the PFS yet ours is locked serve through the hatch only

Siwel123

Does every store have screens at checkouts now? We have them on csd and pharmacy, but not on checkouts like the emails claim we do.

Redshoes

Quote from: Siwel123 on 08-04-20, 01:27AM
Does every store have screens at checkouts now? We have them on csd and pharmacy, but not on checkouts like the emails claim we do.

Ours all came yesterday. For tills, CSD and PFS.

Redshoes

Quote from: Gorgeous69 on 07-04-20, 10:51PM
Does anybody know if the door is open to the public in the PFS yet ours is locked serve through the hatch only

Brief is not to close kiosk but for only one customer at a time to come into the kiosk.
A lot of emergency services and workmen pay for fuel with fuel cards so this needs to continue. A lot of these people are also the ones buying sandwiches etc so this needs to continue too. Hatch payment means someone needs to run to pick these things off the shelves as needed. Can't sell costa coffee through hatch either. Screens should have arrived for PFS, if not they won't be long.
However, this is decision made by store. Different areas have different demands and different issues. We must however continue to take the fuel cards, sell the sandwiches etc. We can't just put all pumps to pay at pump and just close the kiosk completely. I suspect that the fuel cards may be updated to allow more pay at pump but that's not something for store level, obviously.

There is also a lot of talk about lottery at CSD. At the moment the lottery are funding a lot of causes for vulnerable people. You do have the choice to play online but not everyobofpdy wants to. We still need to seek and take back draw and scratch to pay out winnings. It has never yet been proven that the virus can be transmitted via money or by lottery but the money is at a minimum and we just need to learn not to touch our faces but there is hand cleaning gel at the PFS and the desk to help support.

Checkouts are every bit at risk, if not more so. Every single item they scan has been put into trolley by a customer and therefore touched. There are wipes etc for the handles of the trolleys but the whole trolley is not cleaned for every customer. Some customers are coming with baskets that they place in trolleys but they may think that they are clean, we don't know that. The goods have also been placed onto a shelf by a colleague and so on back to production. Where do you draw the line.

Welshie

Sandwiches,  lotto and coffee and everything else really can be sold through hatch , fuel cards can be taken through hatch . No reason for kiosk to be open putting staff unnecessarily at risk . Yes check out staff and csd are also at risk but cant see a way around that unless you go scan as you shop only BUT everything can be sold through night hat h in pfs so to open door is an unnecessary risk .

taliahad

Our PFS is very, very quiet, nobody's driving, nobody's going to work so they don't come in for the meal deals.  It's a constant round of cleaning for us, which is fine. 

barafear

Hi

This "Check out operators...." thread seems to have become very PFS oritentated in the last few messages - not that those people don't work on a "checkout" as such - but.......alas - it's a hard time for all of us.

So I work on the checkout instore - and for the last couple of weeks we've been operating at 50% capacity due to the social distancing meaning every second till has been closed - as well as all (both) the basket tills - and half of the self service tills - and obviously we also have the one-way system in place and queuing outside and one in/one out policy.

Clearly, I could see that Tesco sales have to be falling in adherence with these very important guidelines - and hey presto it now seems they have done something to ease this - this was mentioned in one of Sir Dave's emails last week - but it was not clear how it would work.

Not sure about other stores - but the space behind the checkouts in my store is very much at a premium - the cashier behind me is forever crashing into my chair when wheeling backwards - and for the last two weeks we've had a trolley wedged into any available space to collect "returns" from the stock limits.

Dave's email mentioned "creating a plastic screen both in front and behind the cashier" so that all the tills can be open and customers can be served quicker - that's a rough quotation - in reality I didn't know how this could work - lack of space as I just mentioned - and the mere impracticability of building a screen "behind the cashier" -
Well I haven't been in our store yet (I only work part time) - but I visited another store today and saw a solution in action - and I'm not impressed - basically it's one of those "pull up banner displays" that you see at trade fairs and whatever - basically a metal base and then pull up the "screen" - but it's not an airtight screen - it's literally like dangling a bit of plastic sheet between the two cashier's backs - I cannot see how this can be seen to be safely adhering to the social distancing measures - have we now decided that colleagues are ok to infect other colleagues?

Has anyone seen them? Any comments?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk