News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:02PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 282
Total: 284

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me

Yes I think you'd still get time and a half and your full redundancy would be lower  (-*-)

hesketh

I see less of my wife and family than I would prefer, and they see less of me, my health is compromised by working such unnatural hours and my social life takes a heavy beating too. I and my family and friends accept all of this because of the financial benefit it brings.

I currently work over 40 Sundays per year at a gross benefit of around £4k p.a. and my night premium is worth a similar amount. I have 13 years left until retirement. Even without inflation I would be losing well over £100k should premiums become a thing of the past.

If Tesco should be looking to buy that part of my contract back I would probably settle for a net payment of £50k now. However, the chances of any such payment is zero. In European law it is not possible to tie anyone into an employment contract against their will so once the payment hit my bank account I would immediately move to an employer who value their drivers or one that only expects me to work Monday to Friday, during the day.

It is very unlikely that Tesco will come looking to take established premiums anyway. The number of people that are still on old enough contracts is dwindling fast and the cost and upheaval just wouldn't be worth the saving. As the number of long service employees drops due to retirements and leavers the problem of Sunday overtime will correct itself and night premiums will soon become a much less important consideration when the majority of stores cease 24 hour opening.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

tasha66

100k over 13 yrs youve just gave tesco reason to take all of the above.
Times that by a few thousand people it pays for itself.

Mickymouse1962

I heard today it's not just Sundays it's all double time including bank holiday and pay rise might be to £8.20 ph like morisons

tasha66

3.2% payrise coming in july for distribution hope the store colleagues get the same

gytha_ogg

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 16-01-16, 08:46AM
I am an old timer and can't get Sundays as I cost to much, so will take the money and never do a Sunday again.

Same here. I wanted a Sunday shift to be contracted when one came up. Not a chance!

lordadmiral

Quote from: tasha66 on 18-01-16, 05:07PM
3.2% payrise coming in july for distribution hope the store colleagues get the same
do DC staff got the same pay rates/premiums as stores? ...

trolleyboy96

Ermmm hang on a second here,

It doesn't matter what premium, you have to be offered Sunday overtime, I have 2 colleagues that work every Sunday for me on double bubble and 2 at time and a half.  One SM at one point told me to not have doubles in, until I quoted the people policy and told him I would not discriminate against any of my team, if they want the overtime they are entitled as anyone else.

When I went to one store I was told by a deputy I couldn't work Sundays as I cost too much, so I stuck to it until the SM called me into the office and asked why I didn't do a Sunday in 12 months I told him and he was disgusted that the deputy had even hinted at it, said deputy got a right dressing down, we could hear it 2 floors down!

It doesn't matter what premiums you get no one should be stopped from working Sunday overtime.

Chiefstudbaker

Trolleyboy96 is totally correct!!! It is against company policy to just let cheaper people work it to save money!!! Does anyone have a date when this will happen??? Or is it purely speculation??? Surely we must be informed if theres any truth innit???

jonty

It's just rumour at the minute.

Mickymouse1962

reps in my store know it's going to happen

AlexM

There is a union meeting about pay happening soon & every store has to send their rep. Maybe this is what that's about? Or probably to confirm there'll be no payrise, now that the year is nearly out anyway!

Noobfirstclass

SM and PMs have a meeting near the end of Jan prior to the Feb one the reps are attending so something is defo going down, for better or worse we will see!

cosmosmallpiece

Quote from: oliver on 15-01-16, 09:53PM
We will all find out the outcome of wage rise and if anything taken away etc on the 1st of February
This is when we get the good or bad news if Oliver is right

Duracell

The approach will be interesting!!

Sunday is a premium payment.
Bank Holiday is a payment all of its own.

Interesting to see how negotiations pan out.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Loki

The negotiations, if that's what one deems them to be these days, have concluded.

The week after next are the briefings at which some store reps will attend in order to relay information to members at their particular stores.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Sidewinder

They have just done the same at Morrisons in order to fund the increased Living Wage. No negotiation and all done through Usdaw agreement. Still meant a decent pay rise for full timers but a pay cut for those who only work weekends.

I guess this will be a standard approach in grocery retail as it is a case of increase prices or revise the pay structure.

Titch

In 2011 Boots staff took their employers to a tribunal about loss of premiums and won . Read this today on line .   

Titch

Quote from: Loki on 19-01-16, 09:44PM
The negotiations, if that's what one deems them to be these days, have concluded.

The week after next are the briefings at which some store reps will attend in order to relay information to members at their particular stores.
.  So are they getting rid of double time for contracted Sunday workers ?

lucgeo

Conveniently timed, after the viewpoint ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Loki

There has been no official communication from Usdaw or Tesco regarding this matter.

Reps attending the briefing will be provided information regarding the pay deal for the next financial year. This should then be relayed to the members.

Up to now no official information has been leaked. Anything else up to now is pure speculation.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

daftjoe

Something that no one seems to have mentioned in this thread is that if Sunday premiums go it will have a significant effect on the amount of pension that individuals build up! The individual and Tosco will only put in half of the amount they would on double time to their pension on a Sunday. For the person with 13 years to go that would be a lot of money and they would also pay for it with a lower final pension!

picktocube

Quote from: Sidewinder on 19-01-16, 10:05PM
They have just done the same at Morrisons in order to fund the increased Living Wage. No negotiation and all done through Usdaw agreement. Still meant a decent pay rise for full timers but a pay cut for those who only work weekends.

I guess this will be a standard approach in grocery retail as it is a case of increase prices or revise the pay structure.

I think you will find that  Morrisons staff  had a vote and overwhelmingly voted to lose premium rates in favour of a higher  base rate.

penguin

Our rep is attending a briefing on the pay deal on the 1st of February, when will the reps or managers be able to furnish the rest of us with details.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Morris999

Line managers were normally briefed on the same day the union reps.
Then by the time the reps were back in the store, the briefings should then be started!

Whatever the results of the briefings there will be people who are not satisfied!
Are premiums for Sunday/bank holidays going to be removed?
Maybe, it wouldn't surprise me if they were!
While I like most people will benefit in the short term from the potential increase in the basic rate, It will be the long term basic increases that will need to be considered if they are removed!

I bet that Morrisons haven't guaranteed a minimum increase every year to offset them losing the premiums!
And at some point in the near future it will work at that potential future increases will work out in Morrisons favour after removing the premiums!

We will all just have to wait for the official announcement on or after the 1st Feb to see what's been put forward/agreed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk