News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:03PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 283
Total: 287

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agency driver

Quote from: gomezz on 22-01-10, 01:06AM
It is not a myth that there are precise H&S guideline weights as already indicated.  It would be tricky to discipline anyone for exceeding those as they are likely to be held up as reasonable maximums in any legal proceedings.

Gomezz, I said in my first post that the maximum weight was a 'myth' then you replied as above!  I took "Its not a myth" to mean you disagreed with me also I see no reference to 'guidelines' in any of your comments!  As you asked the question yes thank you I fully understand the difference between guidelines and the law.  Do you know if guidelines are ignored and a case goes to court there has to be a very good reason for ignoring those guidelines that is why there isn't any except for what an individual can comfortably lift! 

I also asked you to show me where these limits are in print and so far you have not done that!     

gomezz

Quote from: gomezz on 22-01-10, 01:06AM
It is not a myth that there are precise H&S guideline weights as already indicated.  It would be tricky to discipline anyone for exceeding those as they are likely to be held up as reasonable maximums in any legal proceedings.

The link to these guidelines has been posted already several times so I saw no need to repeat.  Now I see a need to repeat.

Quote from: agency driver on 27-01-10, 10:52AMDo you know if guidelines are ignored and a case goes to court there has to be a very good reason for ignoring those guidelines

That is precisely the point I was making so I am not sure why you are saying I am wrong to say it as you seem to agree with me.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

The Mrs

OK, I think you two can agree to agree or disagree now, not sure which because your disagreement is very confusing. You're both right, you're just saying it in different ways.

I think the discussion about lifting weights has reached the conclusion that it comes down to looking after yourself. As myself and others have said ... if you can't lift it on your own DON'T and ask for help. Common sense required.

Can we move on now please.

agency driver

"The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended) set no specific requirements such as weight limits."  

1.  Avoid hazardous manual handling operations so far as is reasonably practicable, for example by redesigning the task to avoid moving the load or by automating or mechanising the process.
  2. Make a suitable and sufficient assessment of any hazardous manual handling operations that cannot be avoided.
  3. Reduce the risk of injury from those operations so far as is reasonably practicable. Where possible, you should provide mechanical assistance, for example a sack trolley or hoist. Where this is not reasonably practicable, look at ways of changing the task, the load and working environment.

Taken from the Health and Safety Executives own rules!  Which in my opinion carry far more clout than any guidelines Tesco or its employees can come up with.  

agency driver

gomezz

Quote from: agency driver on 27-01-10, 02:17PMTaken from the Health and Safety Executives own rules!  Which in my opinion carry far more clout than any guidelines Tesco or its employees can come up with.

Precisely.   8-)

Now I am done.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

The Mrs

Thank you.  :d:

So moving on .... working cages -

" her hand was impaled on a metal bar"

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/January/news/Tesco%20worker%20injures%20hand.htm

Ouch, poor lady.

The Mrs

And travelators

Havant Tesco's trolley escalator is 'unsafe'

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Havant-Tesco39s-trolley-escalator-is.6019200.jp

Customer health & safety is important too.  :)

adspackman

I'm surprised that something similar hasn't happened at our store. They put displays and what have you opposite the bottom which greatly reduces the amount of space there is when people come off the down travelator. All it needs is for someone to stop to look at something at the bottom and another to come round the corner looking to go up and you have the potential for a similar situation.

zedhead

i have a question  my store hrm wants to have a non union rep as health and safety but with no training can they do this ?

Transmog

I have a few questions about noise.

Working in a DC on goods in I have come across an irritating problem which is the dropping of pallets.  Personally standing next to someone who drops a pallet, I find that it is annoying but on a more serious note can sometimes hurt my ears.

1. Is there a generalised policy within all DCs about this practice under H&S, The control of noise at work regulation 2005 Regulation 4, 5 and 6

I realise  'Ear plugs' are provided and do not want to get into a debate about the pro's and con's of that. Surely with a risk assessment (ERIC PD) these would be a last choice.   Having just started working for Tesco I would be grateful if someone would give me some guidance on the route and procedure to take (not wanting to upset any team or shift managers) in addressing my concerns.

weir-07

Quote from: zedhead on 20-07-10, 01:31AM
i have a question  my store hrm wants to have a non union rep as health and safety but with no training can they do this ?

No. The only H&S Rep in Tesco stores, as per the Partnership Agreement, is an elected USDAW H&S rep. Why would they not want a Usdaw H&S Rep anyway? And without training?  (?))

Nomad

Transmog have a browse here.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/worried.htm#risk

I may be wrong but if hurts your ears now, I think you need to take steps now to protect your hearing.

Quote(not wanting to upset any team or shift managers) in addressing my concerns.
WHY.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

joan100137

all you budding drivers out there how long have you been instructed to unload the lorries yourself as our scissor lift has been condemed and were tail lifting, in the backdoor log book it states two store staff trained operates to tail lift,  not including the driver one turned up which needed side guards and store staff refused as we had none, the driver was instructed to unload the lorry on his own which he did, this instruction came from goole depot since when have the rules changed on tail lifting at stores? our manager told us that the drivers are doing at the express stores as there are no staff? if any union reps out there what represent the drivers i think you need to having a word with them as well as the firm as accidents do happen and if they unaware they are not supposed to unload the lorry especially agency drivers who do not know any different postive info whould by greatful recieved if rules have changed can they posted on here thanks

Transmog

Quote from: nomad on 21-07-10, 02:28PM
Transmog have a browse here.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/worried.htm#risk

I may be wrong but if hurts your ears now, I think you need to take steps now to protect your hearing.

Quote(not wanting to upset any team or shift managers) in addressing my concerns.
WHY.
Thanks for that link.  I do take steps but I was just really probing the water so to speak on steps to stop this practice, I know other DC H&S managers do clamp down on this practice.  Not being the safety rep for my DC as I've only just joined the company I just wanted to know the proper chain of command in addressing the situation.  I do not think that the lepd or lepw would breach any regulation causing acute or chronic damage but it is bloody annoying sometimes and scares the living daylights out of me sometimes (I wonder if I could go down the elevated heart rate causing stress route  ;) )

Pathfinder

Hi i am seeking some advise and guidelines in relation to warehouse/platform ladders.

part of my job i have to use platform ladders /warehouse ladders to put signage up on the shop floor.

I am concerned with the state of the ladders and have made my boss aware of them but i have been told they are fit for purpose.

the problem with the ladders are as follows , no rubber feet on ladders so when the break is alpplied the ladder keeps moving , second problem is one of the vertical poles from back wheel to top has been knocked out of shape and a dent off 3 inches , the final problem is that they are 8 steps ,  but i can only step up to the 6th step before my head hits the ceiling of the roof on the 7th step.  I have to lean over the side of the ladder to put signage up on the ceiling .  I am unable to stand on the top platform to get a secure footing and have 3 sides protected in case i fall.

My boss told me that they are fit for purpose , i be live they are not only dangerous but need to be a 6 run ladder so i can then work safely on the platform on the top.

USDAW rep wont do anything , has gone to forum and sent back to me saying they are fit for purpose !!!

ladders are the blue platform ladders used in warehouse - shopfloor

gambit

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I've never asked a compliance manager what a compliance manager actually does) but i would imagine that this is the kinda thing you should bring to the attention of a compliance manager.

I would take photos of the damage. Make sure the photos illustrate the problems. i.e. take a photo of how you are not able to stand with a secure footing.

And if no one agrees with you take it up with the store manager. Write a letter and enclose the photos. If you do write a letter and try to give it in person to talk about contents.

billybong

Hi diesel.pi with the rubber feet missing and the ladders ability to move; even when the brake is applied, means that the ladders are no longer fit for purpose, as they are no longer considered 'as designed for purpose'  and I would hope properly risk assessed.

I assume the Compliance Manager (Stores) is another title for the H&S Manager tasked with ensuring H&S rules , regulations and guidelines are Complied with.

I believe you are describing a ladder known as 'Aircraft Steps' two small wheels, handrails up the sides, long handled brake, these ladders come in different sizes and should be risk assessed for the purpose to which they are to be used, if you cannot work safely as the design intended then REFUSE to use them and certainly REFUSE to use them if they require any maintenance.

Get hold of the H&S Rep and if necessary point out what 'Fit for Purpose' means.

Fill in a defect report, get it signed by a Manager, put a sign on the ladder saying, DANGEROUS - DO NOT USE.    

If you get no favourable response from Management, tell them that you will inform the H&S Executive (HSE) (number in local phone directory) and your Area Organiser (AO).

Then telephone your local Union Office and complain about the H&S Reps lack of concern and ability. >:(

Pathfinder

Hi Billybong, yes they are the Airport Ladders, today i approached the personell manager and asked her for a health and safety Grievance form ,

as i told them they were dangerous and not fit for purpose , she came out with so much waffle lol

I have also taken photos of the ladders and emailed the Hse.

I have given her a week to speak to head office and the store manager ,

if i refuse to use them as i feel unsafe on them .....what if anything can they do? ie, discipline etc ?

Welsh-Hugh

Any ladders are covered by Working at height regs 2005.
Rubber feet are a must. The ladders must also be properly inspected by a competant person and logged in a book to comply with these regs. All the concerns raised are covered in these regs.
Seems to me your manager should read the regs.
If your safety rep doesnt know i suggest he goes on working at heights course.
If you dont get any luck from your safety rep, inform your branch secratary, then if no luck to the Union regional organiser in the local union office. If that fails contact the HSE.
However as you pay union subs then the rep should sort it, if he hasnt got the ba--s to sort it then maybe he should not be a rep/
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

billybong

Hi diesel.pi What can they do?

They can bluster, waffle, threaten, cajole but that's all in reality they can do.

What they should have already done is make the ladders safe and fit for purpose.

I would love them to try and discipline anybody for obeying The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
when they are not.

As welsh-hugh stated the Working at Height Regulations 2005 cover this issue.

Just say 'DUTY OF CARE' it may give them a clue. >:(

Faceandgo

You mean they should have taken (drum roll please) the appropriate steps?  :P
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Pathfinder

;D i don't think i will be climbing the ladder in tesco after this  lol

Nomad

You now have a platform to launch your action.  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk