News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:03AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 136
Total: 139

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaled78

so someone I work with has just had their father-in-law die,she works four days a week,is she right in thinking she is only allowed 2 days paid bereavement,then has to go unpaid or use holiday leave if she needs more time off?

Expressdude2016

Yeh that would be correct. Some Sm allow longer depending on circumstances but in general that's what she would get from company.

anfield

Look it up on our Tesco , it's the full working week or whatever it is an employee works in a week , and yes, in-laws are covered under that .

Nomad

A working week, really ?  That has changed a lot then since the start of this topic.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

It's not that simple. You can have relatives that live round the corner or hundreds of miles away. You can have relatives that you are in constant contact with or have fallen out with years ago and have not talked to them in 30 years for example.
So, for a father-in-law you have not spoken to in 30 years you may only get the funeral time, if you are going. A father-in-law you were close to you may need more time.
I was given 3 days for my brother-in-law as I am close to my sister but as I had to travel I had two travel days and a day for the funeral and I chose to add holiday to this.
It should be case by case.

grim up north

Do T*sco management have a list of who you talk to and don't talk to in your family then?

No matter who it is you can have as long off as you want. It can be stressful.

mexicopete

Quote from: grim up north on 14-01-19, 11:03AM
Do T*sco management have a list of who you talk to and don't talk to in your family then?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

forrestgimp

Quote from: poppy1 on 07-11-15, 10:31AM
hi i have just recieved bad news this morning that my aunt has died.  unsure when the funeral will be but it will fall during my working week. does bereavement leave apply to aunt or will i have to take off as compassionate leave. want to know the facts before i go in as they would tell you anything.  thank you

you will be fine dont worry about it.

lucgeo

Err.....you do know that post was over 3 years ago 8-) 8-)

Sorry forrest, couldn't help myself  :D :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

I have heard different reps quoting different timescales....2 days 3 days?? I have always understood it to be a week...pro rata, and that week should also include the day of the funeral. My understanding is it covers all 1st relatives, in laws and grandparents. More extended family is at the discretion of the manager as to whether paid or unpaid, as is authorising longer paid bereavement leave up to two weeks.

Cairney39

SM in Express.....I always have a chat with my colleague and ask them how much time they'd like off, be it now or later for the funeral. Grim Up North, yes I am pretty close to my direct team, and at that difficult time, I'd treat them with respect and expect them to do the same to me/their colleagues. Never had an issue so far. Stay honest and treat everyone fairly.

londoner83

Always worth remembering how you would expect to be treated in a similar circumstance. Families are often no longer small units with many step-parents/kids etc. Bottom line should be if the person who is deceased was in close contact with you, you should get at least a week.

Mark calloway

What's the policy regarding an uncle? What's the process of ringing in? And do you get paid?

forrestgimp

Quote from: lucgeo on 14-01-19, 06:20PM
Err.....you do know that post was over 3 years ago 8-) 8-)

Sorry forrest, couldn't help myself  :D :D

Didnt look sorry, why was it at the top of the listing? perhaps an auto lock of older threads would stop super necros.

madness

Quote from: Mark calloway on 15-01-19, 12:55AM
What's the policy regarding an uncle? What's the process of ringing in? And do you get paid?
Be honest with it. If you were close or a family member really needs your support then tell your manager. If you arn't close and there isnt alot of support needed for someone then don't milk it and the times you actually need time off you will get it.

Nikkih4586

Is it  the same 2/3  days if it was your father, a friend  at work who's father has passed away was told 3 days.  That does not seem long he was very upset at work is there no compassion from tesco.

lucgeo

Scroll up the page, answer from Ulsterboy #77 8-) 8-)

Nomad

Having been to a friends funeral and a family members funeral in the last 30 days, it seems at the moment that at least 14 days is passing before funerals take place.  Is approx 14 days becoming the norm ?

Can/is the bereavement leave split into two periods?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

heyyouguys

Nomad yes you can split your bereavement leave it's in the policy

Blackcat3

I think about 2 weeks is the norm and can even be longer if its a burial

Redshoes

It was four weeks for a family member for me, leave was split to support. I also moved holiday to extend my time, all arranged before going off.

viperex

I am on bereavement leave for a week and my manager has said will ring a few days before to ask how i am . Will i be able to get more time off as its a very difficult time , what are my options

kayjay

If you need more time you would be best to speak to your doctor and get a fit note. They will put the reason for being unable to work as grief and you won't have any problems with work. Sorry for your loss.

chris9997

hi it is 5 days pro rata  for all  close relatives extended if appropiate after consultation with line manager (some people would be gretatly affected according to circumstatnces of death /relationship to deceased),
also i think death of your child is more. leave.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk