News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:27PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 276
Total: 276

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel137

Say they offer you a job doing the same hours you're doing now but you'll obviously have to take a pay cut from your bakers premium. That cant be forced can it?

Blackcat3

They may offer protected pay for a time not sure if this has changed though

NightAndDay

The protected pay won't be that good, as when all roles get the 30p increase in October, the  protected pay amount won't increase by 30p as well. It stays that amount until (I believe) 2 years have passed or the pay reviews between that time has pushed your earnings above the protected pay amount.

lucgeo

Quote from: Samuel137 on 25-02-20, 10:08PM
Say they offer you a job doing the same hours you're doing now but you'll obviously have to take a pay cut from your bakers premium. That cant be forced can it?

No, because you are employed as a skilled baker, on a higher pay grade,  therefore they can't expect you to take a lower grade alternative. They can ask if you wanted a CA roll on same hours, but if you accepted they would probably cut your grade also. It used to be if they asked you to move dept to a lower grade, you kept the higher rate permanently, but if you asked to move you lost it, but that wasn't a redundancy issue, so am unsure if rule would apply in this? They would probably go down the protected pay route, which in itself isn't the best option, as I and others have said, you don't get a pay rise when others do, so your not gaining a great deal over the longer period. There's also no guarantee that you won't be affected again, but the next time the redundancy package would be based on a CA rate.
Check with the VLH redundancy calculator, it's pretty accurate in the forcast of what sum redundancy package you'll get.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Long gone

More shop floor staff and general assistants losing their jobs but no news at all of managers or senior team losing theirs. I feel so sorry for people who still work for this shambles of a company and are being exploited by the imbeciles at the top. Even after all these job losses there will still be people made into managers for a job role that doesn’t require them. It will get to a point where everyone is a manager and it will be managers managing managers. You’ve got a senior team manager on 50k a year spending all day on his phone in the office or canteen and coming down twice a day to de-card the shop then go home at 4 while hard working people of Tesco are having the stress and hardships of losing their jobs and the entire process of potential redundancy ( which will be a complete balls up seeing as management haven’t got a clue what to do in these instances) PATHETIC

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: uncletupelo on 25-02-20, 09:16PM
Quote from: msl1791 on 25-02-20, 05:23PM
Let's hope the bakery guys can talk to the stockies/merch/ and counter staff that went thru this exactly the same time last year, and provide them with support. It's not very nice to go through personally, stressful etc. Al ot of the above is correct, think with your head what's best for you and your home life situation.

Former Stock Control who took redundancy last year. Tips for those about to go through this. If you want the payoff then fill in your current hours as your availability...nothing more nothing less. You do not need to explain this to anyone. Take someone into EVERY meeting with you. Your manager may have been great to you over the years. This means NOTHING. Their role in this is to get it done quick and with no incidents. They are not your friend and are not looking out for you. Keep your thoughts to yourself. Talk has a way of getting back to management. Take a list of questions with you into each meeting. Get written answers. You have workers rights guarenteed to you under UK/EU law. Tesco don't get to make stuff up or claim thats how we did it before. Give nothing away as to what you plan to do until each deadline comes around and official meetings are held. Be very careful with your conduct, timekeeping etc. If you can be gotten rid off by other means that suits them perfectly.

If you plan on staying and taking a cut in hours. Have a long think about how much can you cut and still get by. No point halving you hours to save your job if it means you cant eat or pay the rent. Only tick what you are prepared to work. Dont choose full availability...you will be offered every terrible shift going. If you refuse a contract on hours you have ticked then you have lost your job and will get nothing. Think about it. The job sites are full of small contract jobs; 8hrs, 12hrs, 15hrs etc. Dont take a bad set of hours just to keep your job.

Final thought. You are not as dumb or unskilled as Tesco would have you believe. Especially those who have been with Tesco for years. Do not sell youself short. There is life beyond Tesco. Good luck to you all

I second this! Take the money as a nice leaving gesture and run for the hills as quickly as you can. This company will start to close more stores tham it opens with time and if you stay and drop hours now, your redundancy come second time round will only be worth less and the job market will be more competitive.

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: Long gone on 25-02-20, 11:03PM
More shop floor staff and general assistants losing their jobs but no news at all of managers or senior team losing theirs. I feel so sorry for people who still work for this shambles of a company and are being exploited by the imbeciles at the top. Even after all these job losses there will still be people made into managers for a job role that doesn’t require them. It will get to a point where everyone is a manager and it will be managers managing managers. You’ve got a senior team manager on 50k a year spending all day on his phone in the office or canteen and coming down twice a day to de-card the shop then go home at 4 while hard working people of Tesco are having the stress and hardships of losing their jobs and the entire process of potential redundancy ( which will be a complete balls up seeing as management haven’t got a clue what to do in these instances) PATHETIC
Exactly right! Still bemuses me to why management roles haven't been substantially chopped yet. Only reason i can come up with is that they need the management to chop all the customer assistants first then one day when there's no one else to make redundant, they go after the chiefs.

DJS1949

I’m confused it says shop floor staff being made redundant is this just bakery department or all people on shop floor affected. Also what about checkouts are they losing people also.

chris9997

Also anyone thinking of taking less hours think about other impacts that may not be mentioned by mm in that holidays may be effected pensions and sickness %*would kick in sooner.
Also I had been told before that anyone at risk of redundancy will be offered pension payout as another option if over 55 which is already available but if this is enhanced take this option with extrema caution if nearing retirement anyway.

kaled78

one of our bakers is over the moon,he's just had his 5 year saye come out which he said is worth 60 grand(he did the max £500 a month),and now he wan'ts redundancy to completely pay off his mortgage,so he can retire early

NightAndDay

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 25-02-20, 11:07PM
Quote from: Long gone on 25-02-20, 11:03PM
Exactly right! Still bemuses me to why management roles haven't been substantially chopped yet. Only reason i can come up with is that they need the management to chop all the customer assistants first then one day when there's no one else to make redundant, they go after the chiefs.

They can't afford the redundancy amounts they'd have to pay out managers for redundancy, if they followed the redundancy process, which is why we've seen a spate of Mickey Mouse "informal removals of the role" and "soft structure" changes in an attempt to oust managers without paying redundancy.

londoner83

Plus if they offered managers redundancy a huge proportion would probably take the money and run. As shown with the stock control restructuring far more people left than originally expected and multiple stores had real issues with years of experience going out the door and a bunch of clueless newbies trying to pick up all the routines.

By not replacing leavers and putting more and more onto remaining managers so they consider quitting Tesco can reduce the headcount at no expense.....

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: londoner83 on 26-02-20, 09:57AM
Plus if they offered managers redundancy a huge proportion would probably take the money and run. As shown with the stock control restructuring far more people left than originally expected and multiple stores had real issues with years of experience going out the door and a bunch of clueless newbies trying to pick up all the routines.

By not replacing leavers and putting more and more onto remaining managers so they consider quitting Tesco can reduce the headcount at no expense.....

There isn't a big difference in redundancy payments from a GA compared to the highest level of manager. All you people don't seem to remember that redundancy is capped on weekly wage where most full time staff already exceed! A GA with 10 years gets same redundancy than a manager with 8 years service or there about. Most GA's got more redundancy payments than managers when nights went.

[admin]Inflammatory language removed.[/admin]

Long gone

The fact is they still need to remove management. At the worst in our store we had 25 managers in an extra and one manager was managing 2 people. I just don’t understand the logic of removing experienced people from the company and still promoting people to managers when the company is already saturated with them. Thing is though the managers love it when redundancy hits because it gives them more power but they won’t feel too good when there are no assistants left and they have to get rid of themselves

smithers

the redundancy calculater is correct yeh? I been there oer 15y justbout an it saying at 347pw before tax is 16gran payot that aint rite is it?

BakerBum

Quote from: smithers on 26-02-20, 12:09PM
the redundancy calculater is correct yeh? I been there oer 15y justbout an it saying at 347pw before tax is 16gran payot that aint rite is it?

yep sounds right. its about a grand per year

smithers

Thanks the only thing I realy want to knw now is I need the 35 hrs don't care what im doing so if I put wide avaibility and they can match it but not 35hrs am I still elegebel for redundancy please

Danman

Regarding the redundancy calculator, it says before deductions and extras.... What extras should not be included?

Market supplements?
Night premium?

Thanks

smithers

I think do it 35 x times your hr rate as appear on your payslip toprite

Rad

Quote from: kaled78 on 26-02-20, 08:01AM
one of our bakers is over the moon,he's just had his 5 year saye come out which he said is worth 60 grand(he did the max £500 a month),and now he wan'ts redundancy to completely pay off his mortgage,so he can retire early

lucgeo

The redundancy ceiling is 30k  :thumbdown:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

Redundancy pay over 30k is taxed, anything under it is tax free

Redshoes

Redundancy calculator is accurate. Your hourly rate matters so a manager will earn more but then other factors kick in. Length of service and age etc. A younger manager with less service may get a smaller package than a longer serving older colleague. It's a balance, the nearer you are to retirement the harder it may be to find another job. It won't be for all but it will for some depending on skill and where you live, your mobility etc. It will be easy for some and almost impossible for others.
Take the time to look at jobs available in your local area, talk to people locally, look at training courses that might appeal. Would this enable you to retire early, so many variables. A nice lump sum will only last so long, what will you do with it and what will you do once it has gone will not be the same for all.

Baker4life

Hi guys I'm one of the affected bakers at the moment with the upcoming changes. Does anyone know if Tesco will just pay the statutory redundancy amount or what the very little helps redundancy calculator says? There would be a big difference in the two amounts

Pollypest

Unless Tesco have changed their redundancy policy, it will be the vlh calculator, the only difference we found last year we were paid 12 weeks in lieu not 8. You should be given the figures during consultation before you make any decisions. Good luck with whatever option you take.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk