Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 322
Total: 325

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Quote from: his scots tie on 16-06-18, 05:23PM
If your full time 36.5 hours per week and work every Sunday,you will lose 7.5 hours premium per month at £8.02  you will be £60.15  a month worse off.  With pay rise in July and November you will get an extra £61.36 per month so overall £1.17 per month better off.

So much for 10% pay rise, fairness, transparency and treating others with respect.  The great Tesco, and Drastic Dave and his cronies.

Didn't completely follow your calcs here Scotsboy.

Overall, I agree entirely that anyone who works on a Sunday (and works pretty much a full 36.5 hour week) will not get 10.5% - but I'm not sure how you get £1.17.

also, what Loki confirmed in the post just before/after yours shows an extra complication in any calculation:

If the periods of comparison are July 17-June 18, and July 18-June 19, then within the first year you have to factor in the first pay rise we got (in Nov 17).

Didn't we go from 7.62 to 8.02?

So, using your example:

29 hours (@single rate) and 7.5 hours at Sunday (@1.5).

July 2017 - Oct 2017 (let's say 16 weeks): So, 29*7.62 = £220.98 & 7.5*1.5*7.62 = £85.73; Total Weekly Pay = £306.71 Total Pay for 16 weeks = £4907.36
Nov 17 - June 2018 (36 weeks) 29*8.02 = £232.58 & 7.5*1.5*8.02 = £90.23; weekly = £322.80; total for 36 weeks = £11620.98
Total Period for 52 weeks = £16528.34 or an average of £317.85 per week

Now onto July 2018. I'm guessing some of the increases here - so feel free to correct me - or insert correct figures into my calculations:

I believe we get 16p an hour in July - so that's 8.18 an hour, and then another 3% in Nov 2018 = 8.42

So: July '18 - Oct '18 (let's say 16 weeks) 29*8.18 = £237.22 & 7.5*1.25*8.18 = £76.69 Total weekly = £313.91 total for 16 weeks = £5,022.56
Nov '18 - June 19 (36 weeks) 29*8.42=£244.18 & 7.5*1.25*8.42= £78.94 Total Weekly = £323.12 total for 36 weeks = £11,632.23
Total for 52 weeks = £16,654.79 or £320.28 per week (or 0.77% higher than previous year's comparison) - so a long way short of the headline 10.5% figure.
Although, to be fair to Tesco, the 10.5% figure isn't a comparison of these two 52 week periods, it is £8.42 compared to £7.62 (i.e. from before Nov 2017 to after Nov 2018)

I've guessed at the 16 weeks and 36 weeks split - as I cannot remember exactly which periods the various increases are coming in from. However, even if it's 20 weeks and 32 weeks, the maths shouldn't really differ much.

cosmosmallpiece

I got told they are using our November pay rise in the calculation is this true?

barafear

There was conflicting reports of what periods they were using to do the comparisons.

Clearly, if they used Nov 2016-Oct 2017 then that would all be at the old rate of 7.62 and time and a half.
If they then compare to Nov 2018 - Oct 2019, that would then be comparing with base rate of 8.42 and time and a quarter.

But even by Tesco standards, using these two periods as comparators would be "sneaky"

The time periods mentioned by Loki seem more logical - basically it's the year before the change from 1.5 to 1.25, and then the following year.

cosmosmallpiece

Thank you thought it would be a bit under handed even by them lol

chris9997

I do Believe the calculating period is july 17 - june 18 against July 18 to june 19 expected earnings

his scots tie

Barafear my calculations are i am on £8.02  at the moment x 36.5 hours.Premium for sunday is x 15 hours.A total of 1292.47 per month.In November pay will be £8.42  x36.5 hours,but premium onkg 7.5 hours per month a total of 1291.22 diffrence £1.25 per month.Obviously if you work full time and dont do sundays you get the full pay rise of aprox £61  per month.

Plato

Lots of conflicting information on here. The pay brief leaflet stated that if colleagues would be worse off when all pay rises had occurred they would be be receiving a payment. The USDAW for all tesco staff Facebook page published the calculation in February, stating the formula Tesco would be using ie pay rate £7.62 and time and a half , against pay rate £8.42 and time and a quarter. If this is true, there won't be much of a payout for anyone. Only 12 days for the letters to arrive. Don't hold your breath  >:( >:( >:(

Loki

Quote from: chris9997 on 18-06-18, 06:52PM
I do Believe the calculating period is july 17 - june 18 against July 18 to june 19 expected earnings

No. It's Nov 16 to Nov 17. That's the official brief from Usdaw received end of last week.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Loki

Even though Usdaw state:

This will be compared with what pay would be, working exact same hours with new higher rate and new lower premium rates.

I don't see how it is right that the pay increase in Nov 18 should be included when using their calculations because we haven't had it yet irrespective of it being part of the 2 year deal. It would make more sense if they compare up to and including July 1st increase (16p per hr basic). Even still that's bad enough!

Yet again not crystal clear from either party. Whichever it may be, July 18 or Nov 18, the fact remains that those working Sundays will lose out long term.

Pay decreases of this kind through the back door as well as the new skill rate are an absolute disgrace.

tarzanboyo

No one in my store has a clue, the only info anyone has is letters should arrive this week.

I study full time and I only work saturday/sunday nights, been employed since November, would anyone know if I was eligible as im close to leaving but ill hang on for a bit more if theres a possibility of getting something, then abruptly leave and they can chase me back for it.

notsofunny

Not sure if you are due any type of pay off if you only started in November ,

T.C.1

So someone with a skill payment and works Mon-Fri so thus gets the full 10.5% pay rise is in a win win position??

Loki

There is no 10.5% pay rise. Look what they include to get that figure. Ludicrous.

alf

The 10.5% increase to £8.42, is the concrete cash/money increase, it doesn't include any of the nonsense* Tesco try to peddle as constituting as part of our hourly rate.

Though note, I'm not defending the figure, as frankly it's disingenuous of Tesco to claim they're giving us an  10.5% increase, as a percentage of that is legally required to  meet the NLW increase this year, not to mention how they funded it by cutting other peoples pay.

*For those interested, Tesco claim we have an equivalent pay rate of £9.52 per hour...

tarzanboyo

Quote from: notsofunny on 19-06-18, 10:03PM

Not sure if you are due any type of pay off if you only started in November ,

As was my assumption, bit annoying when the contract states time and a half though  :D

Managers are clueless though, always along the lines of "uhhh I don't know I'll ask so and so to find out" which of course means p**s off.

his scots tie

Quote from: Loki on 20-06-18, 12:22AM
There is no 10.5% pay rise. Look what they include to get that figure. Ludicrous.

Staff have seen pay increase over 2 years pay deal by 10.25%, from £7.62 to £8.42 by November 2018.  For full time staff, not contracted to Sundays that's £116.80 extra monthly.

However full time staff contracted to Sundays HAVE LOST 22.5 hours premium @ 8.42 that's £189.45 LOSS.  Even after the 10.25% pay rise that's £72.65 LESS per month.

Loki

Sun and B/H premiums cut from double time to time and half to be cut again to Time and quarter.

All overtime rates gone.

Night premium between 10pm and midnight gone.

Current Night Premiums frozen.

Skill payments implemented and compartmentalised giving no guarantee of increase in line with basic hourly rate for future pay "deals" (much like night Premiums).

All within a short period of time.

The 10.5% increase is misleading to say the least.

Hammer10

his scots tie

Equalizer87

Quote from: Loki on 20-06-18, 09:57AM
Sun and B/H premiums cut from double time to time and half to be cut again to Time and quarter.

All overtime rates gone.

Night premium between 10pm and midnight gone.

Current Night Premiums frozen.

Skill payments implemented and compartmentalised giving no guarantee of increase in line with basic hourly rate for future pay "deals" (much like night Premiums).

All within a short period of time.

The 10.5% increase is misleading to say the least.

Agreed  :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Outers

Night workers penalised yet again, everybody gets a rise only us.  Shame on Tesco shame on union for letting it happen.  Cancelling my union membership today, as they seem to work for Tesco, I advise everyone to do the same.

Vanilla

I can't believe that you've waited until today to cancel union subs.
USDAW - complete and utter waste of time.
Thankfully I've never been a member

barafear

This is a difficult one.
I am adversely affected by this latest change.
However, the basic premise seems to be "if you don't like it, go and find another job"
Ultimately, this is the only way that Tesco and all other "retailers" can possibly change.
Problem is - there will "always" be people willing to work "unsocial" hours.
The issue that most people (rightly) have on here is that it's a case of "when I joined these were the t&c - now you're changing them - and not compensating me"
Moving forward, as I said, when Tesco need to recruit - new starters will not know any different - it will simply be "this is the pay, these are your "unsocial hours" - i.e. the shifts we're prepared to offer you - do you want the job or shall we offer it to someone else?

Unfortunately, the only way we - as current employees - can make a stand is "leave" - and see if Tesco manage to replace us.
Unfortunately, the case is likely to be yes. If we manage to get a "better" job, then it's win-win.

It's a dilemma.

The thing that I find sticks in the throat is that Tesco are clearly adding "spin" to the story to make it sound positive. When clearly, for a large number of workers (i.e. those who will not see the benefit of the full 10.5%) it is not positive. They mention the 3% who will get a cushion payment as being the "only losers" - but that's clearly not the point.

Reason the problem has happened is partly because Tesco stopped giving us annual increases (coinciding, I think, with when things went downhill for Tesco) - this meant that when the NLW was introduced, our current rate of pay was periously close - we went from being paid a good 10-15% above the "min wage" to being on the precipice of the new NLW. This meant Tesco had to do something dramatic - i.e. 10% payrise to keep pace with the NLW - but clearly not affordable without looking for some savings.

Hammer10

his scots tie

Good points barafear. Its amazing how when people drop sundays how because of cut in premiums tosco have nk problem in replacing them.Same with overtime at single time,and bank holidays at time and quarter.Who on earth is going to work Boxing Day,New Years Day for less than two hours pay,plus another day off of course.But no doubt theyll be queuing up.Amazing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk