News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 02:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,340
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 139
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 107
Total: 110

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairswan

But how long will it take to actually have it corrected in time before another accident happens ???  >:D

iworktoohard

very few accidents happen in my yard because it is relatively quiet. and since they changed the padlock on the gate for the yard, i am the only person in the entire store with a key! no more dot comedy drivers trying to nip behind reversing wagons \o/. But speaking of time frames, if the posts in here are correct and there are only about 8 risk assessors left, i'd best press on with getting our store booked!

I.AM_a driver

In our store (superstore, 8 vans) we all have keys for the back gate on our van ignition keys, we are not allowed to enter or exit whilst there are HGV's manoevring and we are definately not allowed to let HGV's enter the yard without approval from the backdoorman (sorry not very PC).

No accidents from this way of working (yet!).

you shop, I drop

tarquin

Friend had accident on back door at stow.
fell over on dockleveler put hand out to stop himself caught finger on door runner.
3 stitches in finger 2nights off.
Didnt have gloves on as they are kept where the night managers cant find or issue.
Asked for gloves after and issued with the grey ones used on shop floor.
Kind driver from Hinkley has now given him an old pair of the same the drivers where.
When he came back to work expected to still tip and fill deliveries.   :P  

Geezer100

Accident at my store last Friday,
backdoor man unloading trailer with driver, no lights in back of trailer. Driver asked for assitance with full cage of petfood as it was difficult to move. backdoor man gave him assitance, pushing the cage while the driver pulled it. In the middle of the cage, stacked above cage height was a 4 pack of dog food. It fell on his head (not hard) but enough to cause a slight mark on head.
First aider called to backdoor (I hadn't started at time, otherwise I would have dealt with it as a first aider), accident book filled in. Warehouse mngr adn duty mngr called. Photo's of cage taken.
Apparently, it will be passed back to Middleton Grocery (where cage was assembled) and MTS (where cage was loaded on trailer for my store).
the backdoor man has been fine since, but was a bit shaken at first (understandbly).

I do belive that nothing is supposed to be stacked above height of cage.

irishtescoworker

One girl, who was very petite, in my shop was unloading a chill delivery and a full cage of butters and juice fell over on her. Luckily the driver was a strong lad who managed to lift it off her. The manager on duty told her to go upstairs relax have a cup of tea and see if she was up to continue her shift. The driver told him that if he didn't take her to the hospital to get checked out, he would and he would leave it up to the manager to explain why a tesco lorry was blocking the entrance to the local A&E. She was lucky she wasn't killed!

anon1988

Hey,

I work as a backdoorman in one of the Inverness stores aka "Tesco Town" and i have seen quite a few accidents in my short 2 years there.

Last year our scissor lift was out of action and we used the tail lift to unload the agency delivery. we were pulling a Diet Coke MU off it and as it was lowering, the thing keeled over and hit myself and 2 other GA's. many of us were bruised and the store ignored all the pleas of staff to repair the scissor lift.

About 4 months ago i was backing a Livingston Fresh wagon onto the door and the driver wasnt paying attention to me and failed to notice he was driving the trailer up against me and i was momentarily impaled between the scissor lift and the tail lift of the trailer. the store yet again brushed this under the carpet.

and 3 weeks ago our trading manager had a 17 year old GA load a Deansway wagon with RSU using the tail lift. as you know you need 2 trained store staff. the GA was only trained unofficially by me and had begun to load it when the rear plate of the tail lift collapsed and a full cage of RSU had come down on top of him. all the store did was ban him from the yard as they claimed he's under age. bulls**t!!! hes only under age to back a wagon onto the dor as i argued with them over.

Bigfoot

Quick question anon, why were you behind the wagon you were backing on ???

"Full load of banana MU's?"

Chairswan

Anon1988 - surely if your scissor lift broke down, MM should cancel the delivery schedule on H&S grounds or would not fill the shelves ???
Try answering that question when someone gets flattened by a pallet of diet coke   :P    :(

iworktoohard

had a Hinckley dolly go over last week.. Salad trays at the bottom, heavy loose fruit (apples and pears) at the top. nice fruit salad on my loading bay. luckily the driver was behind the dolly not infront of it, and i was just walking up to it. otherwise it could've been..unpleasant.

the alarming thing was that the base of the dolly with 2 trays of salad shot backwards towards the headboard of the trailer whilst collapsing due to the weight! meaning anyone who was at the front of the trailer undoing straps coulda had a high speed dolly hit them in the lower leg.

Still considering my store lucky for accidents though. nothing major in my memory.

I.AM_a driver

Something strange was going on with one of the dot com dollies tonight, I wonder what the morning pickers will think....

http://file024a.bebo.com/8/large/2007/02/10/00/7619691a3558193852b619073767l.jpg

Wasn't me I swear!

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

Geezer100

Either that, or someone hanging upside down from ceiling!

jester

Spidermanager?

The artist formally known as Shopfloor.

Chairswan

All in all, it's done by someone who sufferes from lazyitus, they saw the trays on the floor & decided to just put the dolly wheels on top >:D
Still it could also be an accident to happen being on the backdoor:-x>:(

Now it's time to get the cloak & dagger out!

Psycho eyes (Moderator)

Bigfoot

Any comp drivers willing to take that back to the RSU?

I.AM_a driver

quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot

Any comp drivers willing to take that back to the RSU?

Only if it had dolly clips in the top (or bottom) and there was no plastic or cardboard produce packaging inside the boxes!

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

ali p

quote:
Originally posted by Tilltart

be posh get your own dot comedy yard lol

"Turn left at this Tesco, straight on till you reach another Tesco, over the bridge to a small Tesco and the Post Office is opposite where they're building a new Tesco"

hi just found your site came to my senses and left after 81/2 years as ".comedy" driver a considerate one might add!  we got our own yard trouble was for 6 months of year whopping marquee went up in it not to mention the loading canopies filled up with xmas goodies.driver was unloading her van when night fillers jumped in to move her van just missed her foot.
Do any other stores come across problem of little breaks through the day and how does your squedulling system fare we had 2 vans delivering to same house at same time once. I e-mailed terry once about hiccups and was given meeting with one of his directors- he's sinced moved to launch America apparently  good luck to them!Our vans were constantly breaking down and having to cancel orders on regular basis i was on a campaign to get new vans because we were disappointing customers.His reply was "So we p**s a few off there are others to take their place" with that attitude from the top why should the workforce make the effort.

upwoodservices

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am a HGV Driver and the things i am expected to do. These risk assessments are supposed to be adhered to but most of the time i am lucky to get a store's staff's help to reverse onto the bay/dock or fail to get there help to stop traffic/pedestrians. I have had many near misses and have had to stop and refuse to move until the store staff did there job. If anything happens and it shows i did not follow the RA then i am out of a job and facing possible prosicution. When i ask for some help a lot of the time the answer i get is 'you call yourself a driver'. Thanks not the point. I am thinking of safety. I have driven HGV's for over 16 years. so experience is not a factor but i can say that i do have a big laugh when i see or hear about the Polish drivers driving.

joan100137

excuse me but store staff are not police men we are not allowed to derict any traffic on the highway or you are not supposed to reverse over a zebra crossing we are only insured in the yard no were else

Sanmay

Welcome to VLH upwoodservices.

Sorry you appear to be having trouble with store staff not helping you to reverse onto the bay.  Not knowing the particular store you are referring to I can't comment on the traffic/pedestrian problems.  I do know that some stores are notoriously difficult to get into.  Only thing you can do is stick to your own safety rules and ignore rude comments from others, you are the one driving the wagon after all.

As this is a sticky for backdoor accidents perhaps you would like to start a new topic and invite any comments from like minded drivers or backdoor staff?

Sanmay (Moderator)

I'm laughin, I'm laughin

Geezer100

It is illegal for anyone who is not a Police officer, Military Police, Traffic warden. to stop the traffic.

animal666

quote:
Originally posted by upwoodservices

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am a HGV Driver and the things i am expected to do. These risk assessments are supposed to be adhered to but most of the time i am lucky to get a store's staff's help to reverse onto the bay/dock or fail to get there help to stop traffic/pedestrians. I have had many near misses and have had to stop and refuse to move until the store staff did there job. If anything happens and it shows i did not follow the RA then i am out of a job and facing possible prosicution. When i ask for some help a lot of the time the answer i get is 'you call yourself a driver'. Thanks not the point. I am thinking of safety. I have driven HGV's for over 16 years. so experience is not a factor but i can say that i do have a big laugh when i see or hear about the Polish drivers driving.

As a backdoor man I do my level best to stop all padestrians/dot comedy vans from moving whilst a truck is in motion. I report such actions to duty manager and log it in the exceptions book. For a while all is calm but people have short memory's and have to go through the whole process again and again. Where abouts (generally) are you delivering?

animal

gaffer000

I am a first aider at Alfreton store and backdoor in the past 3 weeks have had so many accidents its unreal.

1) Stobart cage went over onto a lad (torn crucilate ligaments) and one other worker who seen and ran to catch cage ( ripped ligaments in arm)

2) Dollie fell on a lads knee and he as pulled his knee out of socket and again ligament damage.

3) Women unloading a wagon smashed both hands against cages, badly cut hands

4) Lad unloading a wagon had a cage overloaded run into his back legs and smashed his heel.. looked like hed broke his achelles heel to me.

5) Girl broken finger on tip n` fill.

someone will get killed on Alfreton`s over loaded backdoor / warehouse, Management wont do anything about the issues. Whos responsable for health and safty in the stores. store manager is it over all.

Something needs doing the lads in warehouse are on the go none stop, Should there be an Tesco investigation party check out so many accidents at this store???? or dont they ever get passed on to head office from store???

joan100137

i have worked on backdoor now for 5 years and i could not agree more about the overload of work, unloading of lorries, refilling, tip and fill, splitdown,  pulling cages onto shop floor,sercurity, checking of direct delivers, tiding up after the rumble because no one seems to know where the rubbish goes, and this is in 4 hours all the lorries in my store start coming in after five rest of day none and some during the night inc milk how any body has not been hurt in our store is a miarcle, and the managers could not give a toss from team leader upwards complain and as one person in our team has put in log book it like taking to the walls i hope all these people are ok and start hitting where it hurts take a claim out, and stick to it, stobarts drivers  dont help because most dont know what they are doing not throw any of there faults of there own no training just throw onto job and as for others well little said the better bring back our tesco drivers at least i can understand them

iworktoohard

quote:
Originally posted by gaffer000

I am a first aider at Alfreton store and backdoor in the past 3 weeks have had so many accidents its unreal.

1) Stobart cage went over onto a lad (torn crucilate ligaments) and one other worker who seen and ran to catch cage ( ripped ligaments in arm)

2) Dollie fell on a lads knee and he as pulled his knee out of socket and again ligament damage.

3) Women unloading a wagon smashed both hands against cages, badly cut hands

4) Lad unloading a wagon had a cage overloaded run into his back legs and smashed his heel.. looked like hed broke his achelles heel to me.

5) Girl broken finger on tip n` fill.

someone will get killed on Alfreton`s over loaded backdoor / warehouse, Management wont do anything about the issues. Whos responsable for health and safty in the stores. store manager is it over all.

Something needs doing the lads in warehouse are on the go none stop, Should there be an Tesco investigation party check out so many accidents at this store???? or dont they ever get passed on to head office from store???

i see a few of those accidents could of been reduced in severity if the staff had better ppe :( it's sad to see so many injuries on one department at one store. today i got a nice new pair of rigger gloves delivered to me. was a pleasant surprise.

--Have you got my washing machines?--

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk