News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:03PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 426
Total: 429

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

If it is the case that the department is coming under restructuring and loss of hours, you will likely be given an availability form to complete.
If you are in a position to accept redundancy, then state only your contracted hours and times to the same as you are on now. If you are keen to remain, then only state what Windows and amount of hours you are able to work/ drop to.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

When it has happened before we have had people thinking they will dictate their hours so they would put availability of 9-3 mon-fri. Then when there wasn't a job for them their availabilty changed. Yes you need to do what's right for you but this is a business that runs (in some cases 24hrs a day) but 5am-midnight 7 days a week. There is no such thing as a monday to friday job in retail.

kaled78

we have managers and several ga's who work mon-fri on .com and nights,so obviously if the face fits it's still ok

yelsel

Stinkypoo you are probably right do you think you could pick up hrs on other depts you work on at least your wages are covered if they let you do that

Redshoes

The reality of retail is not working office hours. Some will be given some office hours shifts and jobs as we still need those hours filled. Some have had for a while. What we see with restructure is that evenings and wknds are factored into new shift patterns. This may in time result into those who only work office hours having trouble fitting into new structure hours going forward.
In a store near me all the CSD colleague have a late night each but all want off but it has not been allowed. If you have one colleague that is willing to do 5 late shifts that works until sickness and holidays. People always say they will do the lates to support but don't want them contracted, the reality is they never do. Recently one colleague in my store closed down the desk one evening but it had been years since last time she did it. Had to come in to learn how to do it. A small team needs flexibility as few people to pick up shifts. A large team needs it too as they have more shifts to cover.
I much prefer quiet days off during the wk but my retail hours have suited me for nearly 30 years because of this.

NightAndDay

The way to resolve this is premium payments for unsociable hours, nights are fine (for now, I can see staff retainment being an issue for night teams if they don't maintain night premium payment differentials) but say, an extra £1.50 an hour between 8pm-11pm would help with this supply demand issue.

renown

Can't see Tesco offering the incentive suggested above.  Remember is only a couple of years since they did away with NP1 for the night shift staff.

penguin

You might think reading this nobody wants to work evenings but the reality is people will and do, and Tesco know they can fill the hours without giving extra pay on top of the usual rate.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

People do, but it's always going to be short term as they're usually casual workers or students which results in high recruitment and training costs. By implementimg a minimal 3 hour evening premium window they'll save money in the long term.

Blackcat3

If paperwork goes online that will affect pv which fills some of the time as we are only busy on grocery change and the h&b change but the last h&b wasn't as busy

StinkyPoo

Blackcat3, same in our shop! We had h&b done by 10pm last time; all we do is fill at night and then the day crew fill a bit more when they come in. This has been going on for months now.

londoner83

Seeing as most promotions rotate (one cycle on and next off) the business could save serious hours in PI by adopting the discounters model and just having a set low price.

With regular leavers you could probably move PI staff into replenishment or tills.

Blackcat3

They are reducing hours on checkouts as well maybe for part time staff but what about full time staff I don't think the hours are in replenishment to move people

Cinderella

In my store they are attempting to reduce over 200 hours on checkouts, and over a thousand across the store. It's a highly stressful time for everyone. When I see in the news that other big name companies are struggling, I try to remind myself the company is just trying to survive, but right now it feels like service is being greatly affected (none of us staff will even go near the place on our days off, as it's so understaffed). But also the health and safety of staff, who are trying to do the work of three or four people

lucgeo

You don't try to do the workload of numerous staff...you do your usual work, at your usual pace...as in your job description and nothing more...if you're told you're expected to cover more hours, ask to see your allocated hours for each task, and for a capability study.

Eee pet...if you're going down, you go down fighting :)

hornimans135

Hi folks
Has anyone heard about hours changing on Counters. Thanks in advance..

kaled78

it's store specific for counters as far as our store manager told us

Redshoes

The IDQ target has gone from 8% of customers not receiving IDQ to 10%. The self service target changed a short while ago to 50% of customers going through self service. These wo things have reduced hours on checkouts. The aim is not to reduce service but to reduce idle time on checkouts.
The changes that are made are down to individual shopping trends in different stores. If you get 1-2 customers going through a main bank till first thing in the morning or last thing at night it could be that the main bank tills open an hour later or close and hour earlier and it's just self service for that time.
If you pass IDQ by huge numbers during school hours you may have hours cut, to reduce idle time.
So, if you are within the cut in hours the move is not enforced. It's "would you be able to start an hour later" sort of conversation. If fresh struggle at that time of day you may be asked if you would support fresh for an hour before you start your checkout shift. If you refuse you are not out of a job but you don't have the right to sit idle on a till so you could still be pulled to work on shop floor. Could be PI, stock control, fresh or grocery. It's all about putting hours where they are needed.
Stock control etc have to support checkouts when needed. This is now working the other way, it's that simple. If you are not required to serve a customer at the tills you need to support your store in delivering a better shopping experience for that customer. There are numerous different ways you can do this and if you have health issues and can't work on the shop floor due to lifting you may be offered doing PI. It's about a two way flow and making the most of the hours that are in the business without people losing jobs.
If you have time on your hands and you are able to chat and are not under pressure to deliver your job role it may well come to you. We are all one team and checkouts are very good at delivering service at the front end but they are not so good at giving back. Things can change very quickly and we can go from no customers to queues in a very short space of time but that is why colleagues from the shop floor need to support. This is just giving back.  Some people may choose to move hours or dept, that is win win situation. Some will resist. Change is often scary. This is soft structure change, no jobs at risk and no forced movement of hours or Depts.

Welshie

"If you have time to chat""
So what about pfs nightshift , I could chat , read a book , watch a movie , run a marathon around it and that's after doing the things I have to do . It's so quiet , I spend at least half my shift getting paid to do nothing !!

Redshoes

My understanding is that PI is part of this soft structure. Your time of easy money may well be over.

StinkyPoo

Well the pi team in my store don't have it easy! They fill every night...

msl1791

It's about time checkouts were made to help out in other areas of the store. It's been going on for years in which us shop floor guys are supporting checkouts time and time again, when under alot of pressure ourselfs. We all work for the same company, about time this happened 👍

Cinderella

Sounds like it's very different in my store..

Checkouts are so busy that there's barely time to visit the rest room! We call for support from other departments, which doesn't come. And yet we will close a checkout to lend them a person for replenishment, drag out or to cover PFS, CSD, Dot Com and even trolleys!

We've also been told there will be job losses. And no redundancy, as a job is there, in a different time slot/department/even store, and if staff don't accept that, they are willingly leaving. Today I was told the minimum hours someone can be contracted for is going to increase. It used to be 8, which was mainly for students. Now it's increasing, not by a lot, but a few hours. We have a couple of very competent, hard working employees who won't be able to accept the increase, due to family and other commitments. It's going to be a blow if we lose them

Blackcat3

Does anyone know when the official announcement will be released for the affected areas also @cinderella we have full time staff that are in the areas that are rumoured to be changing and I don't think there is full time jobs to accommodate staff not in our store anyway

lucgeo

@Redshoes

Welshie said PFS not PI !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk