Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-17, 01:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7681
  • Latest: Amyoliv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 72937
  • Total Topics: 1594
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 83
Total: 87

Author Topic: staff canteen  (Read 17442 times)

maisie

• VLH Supporter
Re: staff canteen
« Reply #125 on: 11-11-17, 10:34PM »
We have  Serve st. Believe me the standards are awful. No proper chef. Staff bring in there own food. Christmas Lunch will be interesting. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #126 on: 11-11-17, 11:18PM »
Please,please let Christmas lunch be on my day if this year, don't think even the usual saddos who come in on their day off will bother turning up this time :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

shopworker

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #127 on: 12-11-17, 12:28AM »
Lucego- I used to think it was sad for people to come in for Xmas lunch on their day off. Then last year I was talking to one older guy who hasn't got any family nearby and was looking forward to his Xmas lunch for a chance to have a free meal with his colleagues, some of whom he got on with very well.

Yes the food may not be 100% and there's some silliness from the managers but there are people who enjoy and look forward to it.

In this guys case it may be sad personal circumstances but I don't think it makes him a saddo and I take exception to that generalisation.

Personally I think the Xmas dinner is a laugh if you don't take it too seriously and make sure you're sat with people you get on with.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #128 on: 12-11-17, 09:46AM »
shopworker

Indeed, we have colleagues in our store who live alone, some young, some on low hour contracts, some close/past retirement age, that arrive early pre shift or stay post shift to have a hot meal, every day.

A past PM tried to initiate the ruling that they should not, as the canteen facilities were only to be used during their shifts!! Trust me, the SM overruled that PM in no uncertain terms, mainly due to the uproar that ensued from store colleagues!!

My comment was not a generalisation, but a reflection of MY store colleagues. The ones that arrive, are usually the same ones, that moan week in week out, on how much they "hate this place" and can't wait to leave, and bring in a packed lunch whilst criticising  the canteen food  ???

Then there is the usual murmurings of unfairness, the early finishers don't get the lunch unless they stay past their shift, so why can't they have a free breakfast instead ??? Those that don't get an hour break, so have to make the time back :( some checkout staff don't get off in time, and arrive mid meal etc.....etc.....

haventgotaclue

« Reply #129 on: 12-11-17, 10:05AM »
Think of the staff canteen as being just apart of a department store... so if its rubbish tesco doesnt care as theyre still making rental money from it...Tesco is becoming a department store rather than a supermarket...more money to be made renting space and making % of sale through checkouts..phone shop to carphone...electrical to currys...opticians to vision express and low and behold pet food to Pets at home ( yep matt davies was ceo b4 Tesco) payment terminals are from a company that John Allan is a non-executive of but alas also is a Tesco chairman!! #moneyfortheboys

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #130 on: 12-11-17, 10:53AM »
The free Christmas lunch, was a well meaning and much appreciated gesture of the long gone Tesco of the past.

It was in the days when the majority of staff worked full time, all got 1hour lunch breaks and it was hard to get a seat in the canteen for lunch, which used to be a three course meal, cooked from scratch, by full time canteen colleagues.

But those days are long gone :( yet the tradition remains, and it doesn't really fit in with the Tesco of today. Neither does the adhering of having a full lunch ready every week day  for 11.30, there are no 1st 2nd and 3rd lunch breaks anymore, and very few dine during the earlier times due to rumble, short hour contracts, busy lunchtime trade etc...

Perhaps, in today's Tesco, a free meal voucher may be a consideration, given to every colleague to use during the month of December. Then no one misses out, those on days off, those who go home early.

marnie

« Reply #131 on: 12-11-17, 10:54AM »
I have gone over to servest, Xmas dinner is only 2 courses dinner and pudding. Frozen potatoes,  frozen veg & frozen gravy, 22 years I have been cooking Xmas lunch 3 courses everything fresh, I am going to hate serving it.

Cuddlypup

« Reply #132 on: 12-11-17, 04:37PM »
We've changed over. Expected it to be chaotic, it's a complete shambles. 'Chef' who can't follow a recipe, no one any clue what food is supposed to be available, basic food hygiene rules being broken, food not hot. Our restaurant was very good, now it's truly a mess. Food for Xmas dinner has arrived in store but I can't see how it's ever going to happen. What's happened to the restaurant and the staff should be a lesson to us all that we are nothing to T anymore, just a number on a balance sheet.

Poolie Exile

« Reply #133 on: 14-11-17, 07:55PM »
I worked for a year in the staff canteen but got out in January onto the shop floor. Canteen had no hot food on for months as out of five of us that worked in there all have now left. Elior have taken over now. Most people seem to bring in  their own food but I don't know how it does during the day as we do twilight and food has finished by the time we go on break as it ends at 6pm. The oven had to be kept spotless and cleaned by me every night on my shift  before I went home.  Had a look the other day and it's filthy, disgusting inside. The breakfast cook would report me if it wasn't.  Not my job now though. I don't use vending machines so not looked at the prices, choice etc. Saw the "chef" sitting down which I never had time to do and looking on their phone in the kitchen (which I wouldn't of dared to do) Plus I never had the time!

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #134 on: 14-11-17, 08:00PM »
Our chef keeps going out for fags and is always on the mobile phone.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #135 on: 15-11-17, 04:04PM »
Our so called chef goes out for two fags every hour. Her answer is I am the Manager I can do what I want! The food standards are awful. We have had no training and neither has she. The job I used to have is long gone. Christmas lunch will be an experience.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Mystic topaz

« Reply #136 on: 15-11-17, 05:49PM »
Ours spend half there shift on there laptop,
He buys all tesco value ingredients &anything left at dinner is reheated for tea also leaves cooked food standing for hours ,and has a very bad habit of sucking food of his fingers an wiping on his pants it's absolutely disgusting what's going on only a matter of time before someone goes down with gastroenteritis or even worse salmonella .

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #137 on: 15-11-17, 06:05PM »
Tesco value is the norm in our place. A few have been off sick already in our place. Maybe we wont get our Christmas dinner this year with all the managers leaving. Avoid the canteen which is full of false smiles.

Cuddlypup

« Reply #138 on: 15-11-17, 07:52PM »
There is still a Tesco manager in store responsible for the new restaurants, all staff who have complaints should be passing them immediately to this manager. If you are ignored and you still feel that food hygiene rules are being broken you would be best informing your local environmental health. These new companies have in the most part employed untrained staff and are struggling to complete necessary training.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #139 on: 15-11-17, 08:52PM »
We have been to The Tesco Manager who overseas the kitchen. Staff also have given feedback. They never gave the chef the feedback. Therefore our staff refuse to use it.

Mystic topaz

« Reply #140 on: 15-11-17, 10:25PM »
Tesco managers have been informed of what's occuring in the kitchen and choose to do nothing,They are all getting ready meals off the shop floor or sending out for Kentucky or McDonald's, New staff have no food hygiene training at all and the so called chef didn't even know what the calibrator was for the probe,considering he's on £22,000 salary unbelievable.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #141 on: 16-11-17, 09:31AM »
Our chef has yet to cook a single meal. Their days work seems to be shopping then on a break till they finish.
The number of largely agency assistants they have v the amount of meals served means they must be losing hundreds of pounds every week.

Think Tesco just want the canteens gone and are using these companies as a means to a end. In a year or so I suspect we will be told useage is low; we have tried catering companies but we can't make it work.

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #142 on: 16-11-17, 09:57AM »
Been saying this for a while, canteens becoming no-eat zones is the precursor to them vanishing in the medium to long term. With so few full timers left and so many low-hours/flexi contracts these days what’s the point of them? Ours is so bad I have yet to see anybody actually order a meal in there, it’s a constant Store Forum issue but nothing has changed. If there wasn’t a McDonalds nearby we’d probably starve lol so what happened to Tesco’s virtue signalling about looking after colleagues and their wellbeing whilst taking away nourishing food? Oh and the canteen is always freezing cold.

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #143 on: 16-11-17, 10:02AM »
They do not care about us any more, cutting hours, cutting wages and now giving us gruel in the canteen.  Please sir I want some more MONEY.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #144 on: 16-11-17, 10:27AM »
You WANT MORE hammer 10, then I suggest you check out Tesco Colleague Rewards website.  There is 10% off costa coffee this week only, hurry.
« Last Edit: 16-11-17, 10:30AM by his scots tie »

Night Owl

« Reply #145 on: 16-11-17, 10:44AM »
I think with the staff canteen's Tesco must have put them out to tendor, the same way they do the cleaning with Mitie. Our canteen is now Elior, and the small amount of money they take each week wouldn't even cover the cost of the ingredients let alone the wages to staff it 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

wazziznaime

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #146 on: 16-11-17, 03:29PM »
Went over to Serv*st a few days ago, chef who boasts of being on £11 per hour and working in a Tosco canteen is beneath them when they are more used to working in "top" hotels and when asked why not wearing a hat answer is "it's unhygienic" ....WTF .. I suspect the companies who took over the canteens wont be able to make it viable anyway  and then Tosco will bring in vending machines only.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #147 on: 16-11-17, 04:02PM »
Did anyone expect a 5* service from companies that were probably the lowest bidder for contracts?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #148 on: 16-11-17, 05:48PM »
Did all the companies that took over canteens also take over the customer café's.  Our canteen ceased being tesco run about 10yrs ago, it changed from Elior to a new company a few weeks ago and customer cafe has had complete refit so I agree canteens will never make money, is this offset by the cafe?