Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-12-18, 08:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81723
  • Total Topics: 1708
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: More Nights to Twilight Rumours  (Read 162936 times)

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: More Nights to Twilight Rumours
« Reply #450 on: 14-11-17, 10:12AM »
There's a lot of people out there who agree with you.....

Which could be another reason to pause redundancies. A lot of skill and knowledge has left the company which is hard to replace with an ever changing workforce on part time flexi contracts.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #451 on: 14-11-17, 09:44PM »
I agree londoner83, although I think we are too far down the path now to mitigate the damage already caused. As you say, too much knowledge, experience and talent has gone elsewhere and there's never been much of that anyway above SM level so when that goes from the stores the company is left with nothing. In their blind arrogance Tesco's leadership simply ignored the very thing that made the company great in the first place - none of those directors did it, the staff that have left did.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #452 on: 14-11-17, 10:04PM »
I completely agree OvaSees and Londoner83.

The damage done it not gonna get reversed, the whole operation is putting a square peg in a round hole.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #453 on: 15-11-17, 01:08PM »
All the managers and colleagues in my place are off to Morrisons and Aldi.

To be replaced by hungry trainee managers who end up on less per hour than a GA.

Other than the ones that will end up being demoted because they just leave on time leaving the place a mess.

Broken glass, spillages and cardboard all over shopfloor...

madness

• Know All
« Reply #454 on: 15-11-17, 06:49PM »
The c**p ones will do OK in Morrisons, any going to any of the discounters will get a shock and come crawling back to tesco.

silver rob

« Reply #455 on: 17-11-17, 01:48PM »
Sorry to say but there is quite a bit of discussion as to whether the roll outs should be put on hold rather than accelerated.
It really isn't rocket science, far too much stock is being sent into stores,
& replenishment needs to be a constant operation throughout trading hours, that's how our customers shop.....

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #456 on: 17-11-17, 02:37PM »
Far too much of the wrong stock is being sent to stores. Certain products are off the shelf for months. What we need is a more staff during the day/twilight to help customers, to work top shelfs, back stock and clear empty boxes away. The night fill is the most effective way to turn over large volumes of stock. They should keep a small team on nights in the busier stores. Redundancy would be good though as there are plenty jobs on offer paying the same/more than Tesco. To save money the stores which keep night staff could pay nights the same as days. You would still get people doing nights due to other commitments. 

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #457 on: 17-11-17, 09:09PM »
Work night shift for the same rate as days???  Anybody who agrees to do this needs locked up. People work night shift for a reason and it’s for the extra cash. Especially for the amount of work you are expected to do for this mob.

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #458 on: 18-11-17, 08:26AM »
We used to always have constant replenishment before dot com became more important than foot fall customers.  I started working nights because it fit around my kids, 16 years later I work nights because I can work 3 for as much as I get paid to work 5 days. The level of work expectancy has risen to ridiculous levels now.

grocerysucks

« Reply #459 on: 18-11-17, 01:16PM »
Just going to reply to this because yet again the Post Topic button isn't in Stores. If someone capable wants to make it it's own thread, that'd be appreciated (side note, what's the deal with that?)

Administrator Comment The 'deal', Please read VLH Supporter Benefits

Administrator Comment This thread may be of interest and a better place for your question.http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=14506.msg152182#msg152182

Anyways...

So what is the deal with cutoff days?

terra

• Know All
« Reply #460 on: 18-11-17, 01:33PM »
Basic pay is paid up to and including the Sat*rday after payday, the cutoff date only relates to overtime and absence

rob-bee22

« Reply #461 on: 18-11-17, 06:07PM »
Hi David1,
I'm  a merchandiser which is still a night operation in our store,  will this be the case after Christmas? Or is it decided on a store by store basis?

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #462 on: 18-11-17, 09:34PM »
When your store loses nights, merchandising moves to twilight on shorter shifts with each 'new' role having less hours overall.

Morgana

« Reply #463 on: 18-11-17, 09:39PM »
I was a full time merchandiser on nights working Sun-Thurs. When my store went to twilight in August the hours were 4pm to midnight Sun-Wed.(I took redundancy)

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #464 on: 19-11-17, 09:56AM »
We have been asked for our holidays for 2018/19 does that mean the nights are safe

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #465 on: 19-11-17, 10:14AM »
no........

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #466 on: 19-11-17, 01:59PM »
We have been asked for our holidays for 2018/19 does that mean the nights are safe
Could just as easily mean they are planning your consultations as they really need everyone in for those ;)

David1

« Reply #467 on: 19-11-17, 08:34PM »
Hi David1,
I'm  a merchandiser which is still a night operation in our store,  will this be the case after Christmas? Or is it decided on a store by store basis?

Store by store basis.

There are no exact rules for the hours merchandisers work. I have seen many examples of working hours in Pace stores.

Including those where the teams start at 0500.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #468 on: 19-11-17, 08:39PM »
David1 when will the final stores lose the night shift?

Segedinek

« Reply #469 on: 19-11-17, 10:57PM »
A milion dollars question

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #470 on: 20-11-17, 10:41AM »
Don't think it's been decided yet and I suspect some stores never will.

However retail is changing and adapting to less people visiting physical stores and doing smaller shops more often. Self service/self scanning and driverless vehicles are on the rise. Robots could also one day fill our stores.

Nocutter

« Reply #471 on: 20-11-17, 11:04AM »
Personally I can't see any Nightshifts going .we were told our store is safe till start of new financial year so let's wait and see

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #472 on: 20-11-17, 11:36AM »
^ don’t be too sure, every store that has lost their night team thought theirs was safe or was even told so at some point, and each of them had a reason why their night team should stay.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #473 on: 20-11-17, 12:06PM »
I thought the next lot were week 39/this week?

The hooch

• Know All
« Reply #474 on: 20-11-17, 12:40PM »
I think the last of the last 3 phases who were told earlier in the year  finish this week.