News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:22PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 302
Total: 306

Redundancy

Started by Nomad, 28-11-19, 11:05AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If offered would you take redundancy in 2020 ?

No
105 (14.4%)
Definitely
550 (75.7%)
Reluctantly
72 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Nomad

Honest votes please.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

rayinski

I voted for reluctant redundancy, for the simple reason I need the routine of work to help with my mental health otherwise I'd take the money and run.

penguin

I would take it now if offered, and I know people will say well why are you still here if that's how you feel, honest answer is I feel its only a matter of time before us full timers not at management level are offered redundancy or some sort of payment to move contract so I am just biding my time.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Redshoes

I said reluctantly as even though I would get a big payout due to age and length of service I would still need to work and with six year until I can retire it's not enough money to live on and I would worry about being able to get another job.
Then to add to that I like my job and the people I work with, it hard and I think harder changes are on the way but I don't see it being any better with someone else. I have bad days, we all do but I would not stay in a job I really hated, even at my age, just for the chance of a pay out.
I have moved stores and roles in the past. I have chosen to do this for certain job roles, relocating and to actively seek out a job in a certain store. I now would not want to accept a job in a store closer to my home. I like the store I am in.

takethemoneyandrun

I'm the same as @penguin....just biding my time..
The last 5 years have been the worst I have ever seen and I can't see it getting any better..

lackofinterest

it will only get worse year by year!!

NightAndDay

I'm going to tell a story about unemployment, depression and psychological fear, I left college in 2008, slap bang right in the middle of the global recession, I was out of work for 2 years, I've applied to thousands of vacancies but got rejected everywhere, In 2010, I managed to get a job at Mcdonalds (after applying 37 times, I had 3 interviews out of the 37 times I applied, I showed up to the 1st 2 interviews suited and booted, the 3rd time, I couldn't make it, my no show the 3rd time was the one time they decided to give me the job on.)

It was about a week in that I realised that this was a special restaurant, all of the employees bar me and 2-3 others were on an ex-convicts rehabilitation work programme, one day, one of the managers punched me in the face in front of the store manager, the store manager did nothing, the day after I rang the police, got the manager arrested while on shift and never went back (I see resigning as a professional process for legitimate employers,) if they have no corporate governance in place (i.e no distrbution of accountability, reward or disciplinaries) then I can't treat them as such.

So I became unemployed for another 2 years, I then found an ad on Facebook about an advanced IT apprenticeship scheme, I clicked the ad, went for an interview and got enrolled on the scheme, 9 months later I obtained my diploma and worked at 3 companies under the scheme, one decided to keep in contact for casual work, Tesco then hired me. Tesco was the first job I had a proper permanent full time contract with (Mcdonalds was 15 hours a week and far from a proper employer.) Due to my long stint of being unemployed, I was under the impression, naively at the beginning, that the Store Manager was the height of my career ambitions, that they were the all knowing well compensated overseers of personnel development and policy.

Skip forward 6 years later, towards the end of my tenure at Tesco (in those 6 years I also obtained my bachelors degree) and I have my last SM saying I'll be SM in about 5 years,  When he said that, I decided enough was enough and tried to look for another job, it took me 1 month to find another position that would not only treat me better than Tesco, pay more than SM and treat me well but was also out of retail. The SM said "I don't think you can do it, why not stay here, i'll offer accelerated career progression."

All of you who think that it will take forever to get another job elsewhere and not take redundancy, all you have to do is believe. (I have heard that there are no jobs up north so can't recommend the lesson in my story to those who are so unfortunately geographically positioned.)

Ravvers

Wow , going by that poll there is such a lot of people clearly not happy working for Tesco anymore , I left in September , I think 25 mainly full time staff left my store  & I have just seen on Face book another C A has resigned after 17 years & found another job in admin in a sweet factory  , I was saying I would go back in March but I don't think I could face going back now , Tesco ripped the heart out of my store , I realise they have to move with the times but there has been so many brutal redundancies over the last few years , when I first walked into my store in 1985 it was heaving with staff & loads of managers , it just seems incredible how many staff have gone , I worked the last 9 years on frozen & when I left I heard they just chucked anyone on it , my mate said he walked in one day & they put a woman on it & she burst into tears when he spoke to her - she said 9 cages of frozen had been delivered - now they realise how hard I worked on there - she hadn't split the cages of bakery so he did it for her even though he was leaving that day , I dread to think what my old back up freezer looks like now :(

takethemoneyandrun

Such feelings are resonated it seems in most Tesco stores up and down the country..

lucgeo

Having been made redundant in May I haven't cast my vote, but I would have voted reluctant, my situation being similar to Redshoes in as much as age and finding another job, plus the fact that I liked my job, and my team, the only fly in the ointment being the SM.
Since leaving, I decided to retrain into my previous, pre children occupation of Admin/personnel, and not to go back into retail, as I no longer wished to do Xmas/Easter/BH silly seasons.
Enrolling for courses in my local colleges was a non starter, as they were ending the academic year and then closed for the summer, so finding information of suitable courses with days and times, proved fruitless.
With outdated I.T. qualifications, I've only managed to secure one interview along with 85 other applicants. The only other interview was for a charity, who mistakenly mixed me in with a voluntary vacancy.
There are loads of retail jobs available, mainly low hour, flexi contracts, even some full time but wanting continuous shift change patterns. Carers jobs in abundance, all low paid, and not my forte.
My six month JSA payments have now stopped as of last week, and my redundancy payments and savings take me over the threshold for any benefit entitlements.

THE FUTURE IS DULL.....THE FUTURE IS GREY!!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: lucgeo on 30-11-19, 11:22AM
Having been made redundant in May I haven't cast my vote, but I would have voted reluctant, my situation being similar to Redshoes in as much as age and finding another job, plus the fact that I liked my job, and my team, the only fly in the ointment being the SM.
Since leaving, I decided to retrain into my previous, pre children occupation of Admin/personnel, and not to go back into retail, as I no longer wished to do Xmas/Easter/BH silly seasons.
Enrolling for courses in my local colleges was a non starter, as they were ending the academic year and then closed for the summer, so finding information of suitable courses with days and times, proved fruitless.
With outdated I.T. qualifications, I've only managed to secure one interview along with 85 other applicants. The only other interview was for a charity, who mistakenly mixed me in with a voluntary vacancy.
There are loads of retail jobs available, mainly low hour, flexi contracts, even some full time but wanting continuous shift change patterns. Carers jobs in abundance, all low paid, and not my forte.
My six month JSA payments have now stopped as of last week, and my redundancy payments and savings take me over the threshold for any benefit entitlements.

Lucgeo stop feeling sorry for yourself and get yourself out there. Don't tick boxes for what you think will fit you. Go retrain and apply for jobs that have no inkling to retail. You've just got to believe in yourself and fight. If you stay back then many suitable jobs will pass you buy. I retrained as soon as i left and constantly applied for jobs by looking first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Keep positive!
I ended turning down job after job and settled for one that was in no way shape or form related to tesco. Great pay, pension with free healthcare insurance and flexible working. Never looked back since.

lucgeo

8-) not self pity, more like stark reality... I am fortunate in one respect regarding my age, in that I don't have the commitments of some younger colleagues with young families and mortgages, suddenly facing an uncertain future, and having to take anything and everything offered.

I have all the alerts coming up constantly throughout each day, but in my area it is difficult in securing interviews in certain sectors, due to a language barrier...add a non recognised allergy to certain working environments, and the opportunities are drastically reduced.
Most courses that would be suitable, are two to three years,( again the environment in the classrooms may cause an allergy reaction), which then puts me only three to four years before my official retirement age, which would likely deter any future employer from investing their time and resources in training me instead of a younger applicant. Though they wouldn't admit to it.

I appreciate your reply of support and encouragement, and pleased you have secured suitable employment. I hope the younger posters are encouraged by it.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cuddlypup

It may depend on what area of the country you are in but of all the ladies who got made redundant from the restaurant and counters in May everyone who wanted jobs have got them, some retired but the others are all working and only two are in retail and they are both Cafe's. Non of the ladies regret leaving even though some were devastated at the time.

NightAndDay

Retail and managerial experience can open doors elsewhere outside of retail, as a last straw, you can just work for a competitor after being made redundo, remember, retail has the highest staff turnover rates out of all industries (partially an indictment of how the industry is to work for, but mainly attributable to it being a temporary stop gap for uni students who leave for something better and part time workers whos situation changes along with the economic challenges facing the retail industry resulting in "steam lining" (read laying off) roles.)

High staff turnover means regular vacancy opportunities, of course that is if you want to work retail again, I'd recommend getting management experience, getting a degree or level 3+ business admin or personnel development diploma and applying for hr type roles if you want an easy job for ok pay.

lordadmiral

My IT is outdated aswell. I am still at shitco but i do courses online. When i get some certificates i will start looking for IT job.
I am on so many job site's and yes, number of retail vacancys is huge. Ridiculously huge.
Good luck in new role when u get it.

Redshoes

I sympathise. As I'm six years from retirement I fear what you say is happening to you. Not having dependants and being mortgage free does not go hand in hand with with being financially stable and not needing to worry about working again. Nearly 30 years in a job in the lower pay brackets and on a single wage does not go towards being able to take early retirement.
It's easy to slip into a cycle of what you can't do and knock backs will add to this. I can relate to wanting to move outside of retail. I think I would be the same but no idea what I could do. A former colleague was made redundant after same length of service as me and all she has been able to find is a Christmas temp job with a different retail company. In fact the others that went at the same time have all only been able to find Christmas temp jobs. They are now working shift patterns that they turned down with us.

lordadmiral

Retail is some sort of 'career closing job'. Here you retire and end up working just to make some extra towards pension. Thats why its very hard to find job outside retail. You must leave it in 40s, early 50s latest to be able to set yourself  in some job that allow you work there till you retire or even more. Its possible to be 65 and find great job elsewhere but number of such jobs is limited, extreamly limited.

Siwel123

I think another thing is people jidge themselves too much and think if they don't meet all the criteria for jobs they shouldn't apply, if you hit say 75% of criteria, submit an application, don't put yourself down and think you're not qualified

dilligaf

For me it would depend greatly on the situation, I deff wouldn't take it if there was a job for me with the same hours, pay, & T&C's, but if they were going to change my contract, T&c's etc I'd be away in a heart beat....

fartooflexible

I had 12 years service, when I was offered redundancy.  People  thought I was mad for the small amount I was getting but I had...had enough I was going 2 look out anyway so I jumped ship.  Soon as I left I was straight away looking and applying for everything.  I was and fully understand I was extremely fortunate.  I was two weeks unemployed.  I was back receiving pay before I had even received my redundancy.  With my ten grand I put in a new kitchen and did up my living room.  I absolutely love my new job,  thus one is also full time whereas in Tescos i was part time.  I would never go back.  Id never burn my bridges but I don't believe in going backwards in life.  Thanx Davy Clarke u gave me the kick I needed ps my new kitchen doesn't look bad either

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: fartooflexible on 06-12-19, 07:35PM
I had 12 years service, when I was offered redundancy.  People  thought I was mad for the small amount I was getting but I had...had enough I was going 2 look out anyway so I jumped ship.  Soon as I left I was straight away looking and applying for everything.  I was and fully understand I was extremely fortunate.  I was two weeks unemployed.  I was back receiving pay before I had even received my redundancy.  With my ten grand I put in a new kitchen and did up my living room.  I absolutely love my new job,  thus one is also full time whereas in Tescos i was part time.  I would never go back.  Id never burn my bridges but I don't believe in going backwards in life.  Thanx Davy Clarke u gave me the kick I needed ps my new kitchen doesn't look bad either

It was the same story for me and even the managers thought I'd be jobless for years 😂😂 how wrong they were with everything in life.  I chose to spend my redundancy on a new car and towards retraining.  I had a job within two months of leaving with twice the salary I was on in tesco.

I also gained new qualifications and licenses, so that if by unfortunate circumstances were to happen again, my cv will look so much better in gaining new employment if need be.  If I was to have taken the reduced pay and stayed at tesco I would of been miserable as can be, poor, working the most ridiculous hours and pretty much given up on life to be honest.

Anyone facing the option of redundancy, grab it with open arms and run from this joke of a company.

NightAndDay

One thing I have been wondering is if you did go back to Tesco for whatever reason, do they operate on a principle where the salary you're earning in your current job should equate to capability of performing a role in Tesco that pays around the same sort of money?

Jobless

I am going in January. But voted reluctantly. I don't like the job. It helps buy the iPhones and laptops 7 year old seem to want though. I am only there as it allows me to do the school run and I can work next to my house. If it wasn't for this I'd have walked a few years ago. The managers in my store are all leaving and looking for easier stores they can work in. Company is a shambles. I will miss some of the characters though. Had some good times.

The-shelf-filler

I voted redundant but as I've just handed my notice in I'm not hanging around waiting to be made redundant.

As a few have said,the last 5 years have been helll and not one member of staff in my store wants to stay at Tesco but for some people it's not that easy to leave I'm afraid.

Samantha

Just wanted to wish Lucgeo all the best in regarding the job hunting.
Like others have said on here, you have full potential and you area very hard working and dissent person.
All the best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk