Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 296
Total: 299

Newbie questions related to Pay

Started by castroscousin, 09-11-23, 03:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

castroscousin

Hi all, just started working at a DC after over 30 years in a totally different industry and I'm having a few issues working out my wages. For the last 30-odd years I've worked as a price-worker and as such, our pay packets used to come with an attached breakdown of all the units etc we had claimed in the previous weeks so it was easy get everything to tally. However, now I'm salaried I can't seem to get anything to add up !

Basically, I'm contracted for a 37½ week, any 5 from 7 days, 6-2 & 2-10 shifts. I understand that the 4-week reference period (not including any OT which I'm not interested in booking) runs from the Sunday after your pay date until the Saturday after your pay date, is this correct ? If it is, I would've thought it very easy to tally the wages I am due as No. of days (X 7.5) at basic rate + No. of days at weekend premium rate (X7.5) but this doesn't appear to be the case  8-)

I was told that my basic hourly rate is £13.97 (although on my Payslip it says £13.974 - does this make any difference ?) so I thought it would be easy enough to calculate as hours X £13.97 (or hours X (£13.97x1.33 for weekend working) all added together to get the final 4-weekly amount. I guess I am missing something here ?

The only other thing I could possibly think of is that I usually clock-on between 2 and 5 mins. before my shift start time and (after waiting in line for the queue to dissipate - lol) the same to clock-off. Does payroll take these extra few minutes into account (or even down to the second, I don't know  8-) ) Because of my previous employment history, getting TUPE'd roughly every 4-5 years as companies kept getting bought by bigger companies etc. etc. so having to deal with new payroll departments, it's now almost ingrained into me to double-check my wages are correct every payday and not being able to get mine to tally "gets my goat" so to speak, so if anyone could actually give me an ipso-facto way of doing the calcs, I would really appreciate it.

Finally, I tried to join the workplace pension as soon as I started my employment but the our tesco link just keeps saying "there has been an error" even though the preceeding page on the site says I can join asap ! Is there a specific procedure to follow to do this as I've asked my Manager at the DC but he doesn't appear to know himself.

TIA.

grim up north

You're not salaried if you're paid by the hour. Clocking in slightly early or clocking out slightly late makes no difference to your wages or everyone would be clocking in early and sitting in the canteen getting paid. However if you clock in over 3 mins late or clock out 1 second early your manager will let you know about it

hesketh

The 4 week reference period is offset by two weeks from the pay weeks.

There will be several tech savvy managers and colleagues who can help you with the pension issue. Ask around and someone will know who to speak to.

A couple of links you might find useful....

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/payday2.php?npd=1699617600

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/dloads/Payslip_Explained.pdf

Good luck working for Tesco, pretty safe to say you won't be TUPE'd for a while.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

castroscousin

Quote from: grim up north on 09-11-23, 05:08PMYou're not salaried if you're paid by the hour. Clocking in slightly early or clocking out slightly late makes no difference to your wages or everyone would be clocking in early and sitting in the canteen getting paid. However if you clock in over 3 mins late or clock out 1 second early your manager will let you know about it
Well that's what I thought to be honest but it's always worth checking with people who are a lot more "in the know" than me  ;) Thanks for the reply  :)
Quote from: hesketh on 09-11-23, 07:29PMThe 4 week reference period is offset by two weeks from the pay weeks.
Could you expand on that at all ? My understanding was that from the Sunday after your payday until the Saturday after your payday are the 4 weeks that  your pay is based on but what you've just quoted sounds different to that  8-) Do I take it then that my pay is based on a different timescale ?
Quote from: hesketh on 09-11-23, 07:29PMThere will be several tech savvy managers and colleagues who can help you with the pension issue. Ask around and someone will know who to speak to.

A couple of links you might find useful....

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/payday2.php?npd=1699617600

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/dloads/Payslip_Explained.pdf

Good luck working for Tesco, pretty safe to say you won't be TUPE'd for a while.
Thanks for that fella and yes, I would hope to be able to stay here (if I hit the percentages of course !) for at least the next 5 years or so until our lass starts to claim her pension, then with my own old BT pension, I'll be able to finally call it a day  :thumbup:

castroscousin

Little bit more info:-

I started 26/9/23, next five days Induction/Training where we were all allowed to leave about an hour early. Will this impact hours or would Tesco just pay 'till normal finish time ? If that's the case, that will make a bit more sense towards the figures not tallying.

I worked 3 weekends before the 13/10/23 payday (1st, 7th & 8th October) but on my first payslip, only basic pay was shown, with no hours shown against the "weekend premium" section at the bottom-left of the payslip. With it being my first one, would Tesco have just put the gross amount against Basic Pay ?

I have now worked a total of 8 weekends (including the Sat. coming) up to today's payday but only 4 (i.e. 30 hours) are shown on the current payslip. I guess those will be the 22nd & 28th Oct, 5th & 11th Nov ? All weekends were fully worked, no early finishes taken. The one weekend worked that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on either payslip is 21st Oct.

I'm not too worried about the discrepancies as they're not £100's out, it's just that I would like to be able to understand how Tesco are arriving at the figures.

I tried emailing the payslip address, to ask for an explanation but have got no reply from them.

TIA

ll

Not sure why you're expecting a 'weekend' premium? You are not entitled to Sun premium so all your hours worked are basic rate.

castroscousin

Quote from: ll on 10-11-23, 04:05PMNot sure why you're expecting a 'weekend' premium? You are not entitled to Sun premium so all your hours worked are basic rate.
On my latest payslip, I've got 30 hours paid at weekend premium which I presumed to be the 4 Sat. & Sun. I worked in the period covered by this payslip. I was told (admittedly not by a manager but by a yellow jacket in the DC) that weekend hours are paid at x1.33 rate. I seem to remember it being mentioned in the job advert as well  ??? Or is it just Sat's that are paid at a higher rate and Sun is classed as basic ?

Could always be wrong of course, wouldn't be surprised  ;D

ll

Apologies, I missed that that this is in DC so was basing it off the pay structure in stores, so I may well be wrong.

castroscousin

No worries, I'm just starting to realise myself that Tesco have a very strange (compared to what I've been used to) pay structure where different DC's can have different pay rates, even if they're the same type  ???

I can understand why there was such a hubbub over the equal pay news I saw on TV a while ago now.  8-)

I'll just make myself a spreadsheet up and see if I can eventually get things to add-up  ;D

Thanks to all who have given advice.  :thumbup:

grim up north

You should be paid for a full 7.5 hours per day on your induction/training week so I'd keep that they let you get off early to yourself. You don't say if you've worked out your figure to more than you think you should've got, or less. If it's more again, I'd keep quiet. Weekends you should be paid a premium which it should say in your contract. Also, are you contracted to 37.5 hours per week with one hour paid at overtime rate? There are that many different contracts now in DC's it's hard to say who gets what

castroscousin

Quote from: grim up north on 11-11-23, 03:14PMYou should be paid for a full 7.5 hours per day on your induction/training week so I'd keep that they let you get off early to yourself. You don't say if you've worked out your figure to more than you think you should've got, or less. If it's more again, I'd keep quiet. Weekends you should be paid a premium which it should say in your contract. Also, are you contracted to 37.5 hours per week with one hour paid at overtime rate? There are that many different contracts now in DC's it's hard to say who gets what
Sorry for the late reply, I've been fairly busy with personal stuff as well as having to get used to working shifts but I'm getting there  ;)

I've always kept speadsheets for my wages coz my last employment has always been on a piece-work basis so it was basically a necessity, otherwise you didn't know what you'd earned  :question:  However, trying to work Tesco wages out is proving to be a bit awkward to say the least  :o

My basic hourly rate is supposed to be £13.974 (off the payslip) & the weekend premium is x1.33. Those figures appear to be correct as much as I can work out, so no problem there. The issue starts when I try to figure out when the cut-off dates are for each 4-week period. There is a sheet you can download off colleague help but that makes no sense whatsoever so I can only presume that will be used for OT cut-offs, not contracted hours.

If it helps, I'm working the wages out from the Saturday after payday to the next Friday payday (which again, doesn't make sense to me coz if I take an early finish let's say on the Friday payday, how can they work this out as the payslip has already been issued) but I'm presuming this is wrong coz it doesn't add-up at all.

I've also heard that the pay period is from the Sunday after payday to the Saturday after payday ! As you can imagine, coming from an industry where clear cut-off dates for wages (basically a week in arrears) where obvious, I'm struggling to get it to stick in my head  ;D

To make it worse, I've recently done Jury Service where my Manager said I'll just be paid as normal but unless there is a cut-off in the middle of my service, that obviously is not the case  8-)

As far as I can tell, I have been underpaid (by what amount I can't say as I don't know what to base my figures on :'( ). I'm not so strapped for cash that it's a problem at the moment but I would like to be able to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

There doesn't appear to be a contact No. on the Tesco Site to directly get in touch with Payroll, it just seems to point you towards speaking to your manager but to be honest, I don't really think he knows himself !

I'll just have to keep tabs on what I'm paid next payday to see if weekend payments are paid in arrears etc etc and see if it eventually makes itself clear.

Elly1519

DCs have different cut-offs to stores I believe. Why don't you raise a ticket (query) on Colleague Help and ask for the relevant cut-off dates? I assume depots have the option to raise tickets too.

hesketh

The cut off dates for Distribution are offset by two weeks from the payday.

Any overtime or deductions are therefore two weeks in arrears.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

castroscousin

Thanks to all that gave assistance  :thumbup: I've finally sorted it out  :D

I got a bit of mis-information from one of the lasses in the offices who said that basically the payday amount is your basic pay (including weekend premiums) for the 4 weeks from the Sunday after your last payday until the Saturday after your payday. This is then corrected by any OT/sickness/manual adjustments for the 4 weeks offset by two weeks before payday. After inputting those figures etc into a spreadsheet and STILL not being able to get it all to tally  >:( I decided to see what I could do to get it to work and it dawned on me that the 2 week offset DOES actually include any weekend premiums as well  8-) Once I realised that, I was able to get my sheet to agree with the payslip  8)

The one "fly in the ointment" was the jury service as that appeared as a totally separate payment on the payslip but as it was the last week of the offset period, once I totalled all the expected payments up for that week including the weekends, it was the same amount as I had been paid, so payroll must have to treat that as a separate payment for whatever reason  ???

Anyway, I'm all sorted now so once again, thanks to all that contributed, it's appreciated.  :thumbup:

castroscousin

Well, it looks like all my working out and help from you kind peeps on here was in vain as I've only got a week left because I couldn't make the performance figures  :'(  The nearest I got to the 85% required was 75% so after my last chat with my Manager he told me that he'd let me work to the end of my 4 week probation period extension so I get another weeks wage, which I'm grateful for anyway.

Kudos to the people who actually manage to get to that figure coz it's intensively demanding on your spirit and physical capabilities  :o I did manage to get a few high 80's or the odd 90+ at the start of my shifts but keeping that pace up was unfortunately way beyond my remit  ;D

Thanks again to the contributors who answered my questions on here and I hope you all have a nice Xmas.  :thumbup:

grim up north

Make sure you are putting delays in when you get held up(and make sure they are entered on the system). You'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes. If you have a 4 cage pick down one aisle you're basically screwed, but try to go like the wind if you get a pick that has 1 or 2 items per aisle.

grim up north

Also, did the 2 weeks you were on jury service get added to your training/probation period? Otherwise that's 2 weeks you've missed out on. I speak to a union rep if you joined them, that's if you want to keep your job

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk