News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 06:34AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 82
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 70
Total: 72

General Question about Cages

Started by Freebird123, 23-09-19, 01:01PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambi

totally depends on if your store pre sorts cages

as bad as working at my store was one good thing is all dept's cages were presorted saved loads of time and yes you could get most done in 20mins

Siwel123

What's everyones thoughts on cardboard cages on the shopfloor?
We've recently been told if filling on days we're not allowed cardboard cages on the shopfloor, so that either means try find one of those elusive bags to attach to your cage or you've to try balance all the cardboard in your cage while still working it.

NightAndDay

Days it's not acceptable (health and safety for customers) nights is fine if you keep all cardboard in a small area and have a cage on the shop floor (used to do a cage, put all cardboard and plastic in a cage then do next cage.)

lucgeo

Why?? 8-)

What reason has been given for no cardboard cages?? The blue cage bags became defunct years ago in my old store, though  I note a nearer, smaller store, are still using them. There should be cage locations on your aisles, for filling and cardboard.

So which silly sausage dreamed this one up in your store ??? Way I see it, you either carry on perching the cardboard on your cage, fold it into a large empty box as you go, or, and this would be my personal choice and probably my old team's also, you carry the empty cardboard into the warehouse every ten minutes or so, just to ensure that none slip off the cage, which could result on a customer/colleague, slipping/ tripping on it, as health& safety must always be paramount. They'd soon get fed up, as to the amount of time walking back and forth to the warehouse took  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightManager

Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-10-19, 08:35AM
Quote from: NightManager on 04-10-19, 03:03AM
'Getting in their grill' isn't an appropriate response to anything...and hopefully anyone who thinks that it is isn't in a position to influence or lead anyone else.

If managers are unable to follow the process or don't understand then that is down to poor leadership in that store...and I can only speak for myself but if any of my managers were acting in such a way it would not be tolerated...and in fact would never become an issue!

I don't think you've ever worked in Express going by your comment, arrogant 20 something kid Store managers are the norm in Express, with Express being stripped out as it is, they have little oversite in how they conduct themselves, by "getting in their grill" I mean be challenging and confrontational, it might not apply in superstore, but in Express it is a dog eat dog world.

Chiller chats, out of process disciplinaries and forced resignations are the bread and butter of the Express SM mantra.

I don't think I want to either by the sound of it...although I'm always up for a challenge...

Long gone

When I started 13 years ago I was placed with a lady who had been at the company for 5 years and knew the job inside and out, when she worked with me I got a lot of support and advice from her but if I did something wrong she came down on me like a tonne of bricks. I think I worked with her for 2 solid weeks and when I was asked to do cages on my own I felt confident to do them and she always worked cages herself but came over and found time to see how I was doing, I got faster and faster and eventually I was as good as the lady that trained me, and eventually went on to teach her new things too.

At that time no one knew how to use a pda on our department( laughable to look back on it ) so I was always in charge of getting labels to put out for promotion ends etc. The managers I had were unbelievably supportive, never timed me, never came up to me every 15 minutes asking me what I was doing , why I was doing it that way and why hadn't finished yet. I came into work, had my line manager say good morning to me and just said with a smile " you are on the usual today" and then I got left alone all day because they trusted me to do the job and do it well. We had a great team and it's sad to look back on how our department went from having 17 staff members to just 5.

Nowadays new starters get the job and then get thrown on the shop floor with no knowledge or training , they get a pda or cage chucked at them and told to "work or scan it" and it never gets done right, Then management get angry because things now aren't getting done. We had people in our store with decades of invaluable experience who were thrown aside because of money and old contracts and now the company is in the state it's in.

You work at your own pace and do the job as professionally and as able as you can and if management pressure you to go faster then tell them to work the cage for you and you watch as they show you how it's done. I guarantee not one manager in your store would even know where to start on a cage full of crisps never mind anything else

lucgeo

Yea, they were called buddies, every new starter had one for two weeks. I wasn't allowed to touch a keyboard, or do any routines for the first week, I just watched and learnt  :thumbup:

optout

One thing about asking managers to show you how to fill is, that they will often fill very quickly (at or above the pace that they are asking you to do) knowing full well that they have just been doing bugger all, and that as soon as they have set-an-example for you, they will go off into the canteen or toilets and spend half-an-hour recovering from doing 5 minutes of work at a pace that they expect you to keep up all day/night.

Best thing to do is just nod, and carry on as usual. They soon go elsewhere for their jollies.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

NightAndDay

Quote from: NightManager on 09-10-19, 05:59PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-10-19, 08:35AM
Quote from: NightManager on 04-10-19, 03:03AM
'Getting in their grill' isn't an appropriate response to anything...and hopefully anyone who thinks that it is isn't in a position to influence or lead anyone else.

If managers are unable to follow the process or don't understand then that is down to poor leadership in that store...and I can only speak for myself but if any of my managers were acting in such a way it would not be tolerated...and in fact would never become an issue!

I don't think you've ever worked in Express going by your comment, arrogant 20 something kid Store managers are the norm in Express, with Express being stripped out as it is, they have little oversite in how they conduct themselves, by "getting in their grill" I mean be challenging and confrontational, it might not apply in superstore, but in Express it is a dog eat dog world.

Chiller chats, out of process disciplinaries and forced resignations are the bread and butter of the Express SM mantra.

I don't think I want to either by the sound of it...although I'm always up for a challenge...

The last cuts they made to Express was quite recent, in group 801 you have the AM, 1 people parter and 1 SOM to look after something like 110-120 Express stores, the SOM has even said that unless the store is in dire straights he won't bother coming, as a result what I have described is commonpoace, one of the express stores had something like 800 gaps because of how the SM conducted himself (800 gaps is extremely serious in Express).

Due to the oversite issues I expained earlier, the store was in that state for a good 2 months before the SOM had a "conversation" with the SM (he got a new job out of the company 1 month after said conversation.")

Billy Cob

Hi New to Tescos, I'm very worried about how high a 2 side cage is stacked with wine & spirts, looks very unsafe for me and customers, plus i'm told to pull not push the cage as unable to see over the 6.5 ft stacked cage. Also I should do a cage in an Hour.

lucgeo

Pull not push is correct and basic training you should have done...regardless of cage height, if the cage is half full, anyone kneeling or below the height of your line of vision ( such as a child ) risks you running into them.
Boxes should not be stacked higher than line of the top of the cage.
You should not be attempting to lift heavy boxes from above wrist height.
Timings of fills are guidelines, an hour to fill a full cage of big cereal boxes V's a full cage of H&B products are not comparable. Your timings should be based on each individual cage of contents. But that's irrelevant as every manager will estimate any extra job they ask you to do will only ever take you 5 mins!!
You will be slower to start, and this should be taken into consideration by your manager. If your being told you're too slow, ask to work an aisle with an experienced colleague and gain tips from them e.g. Slitting the packaging in a way to enable you to pull the wrapping away from around it whilst putting it into position on the shelf. Spotting products...this is where you get used to the locations of the products, taking a few boxes off the cage at once and putting them ready on the floor in front of shelf to be filled whilst walking past to go fill another shelf, it saves time walking back and forth to the cage for the next box.
Use any really big boxes to fold the cardboard of smaller boxes into, this saves cluttering the floor and cage with cardboard, and it's quicker to then just put the big box full of cardboard back on the empty cage to go tip the contents into the cardboard cage and flatten the big box.

Billy Cob

is that wast or wrist hight?

lucgeo

Wrist height...in when you reach up, with your arms extended above, the box must not be higher than your wrist.

Nomad

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/dloads/fis33.pdf HSE PDF document on roll cages.

Exert from that document.

QuoteThe following precautions have been shown to reduce injuries. Operators should:
●only move one roll cage at a time;

●use the handles provided;
●move the roll cage no faster than walking speed;
●wherever possible, push the cage rather than pull as this is ergonomically better and will reduce the risk of foot trapping;
●seek help from another person when moving a roll cage up or down a ramp or on an uneven surface or when a cage is heavily loaded;
●not ride in, or on, roll cages as they can easily overturn or trap the operator;
●wear gloves and safety shoes when moving roll cages - softer sole shoes will reduce slips;
●wear gloves when assembling cages to protect hands and fingers;
●stack heavier items at the bottom of the roll cage to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible(the correct lifting technique is particularly important at this low level);
●not load the cage above the load line or above the level where the operator can see over the load; and
●move no more than three to five empty, nested roll cages at one time.

As you can read although the HSE is the recognised body on work place health and safety there are many points where the company believes they know better.  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Scruff

Isn't there times on the system that work out roughly how long it would take to work each aisle based on case/cage count? or have they got rid of that?

lucgeo

The timings of the cages you work on your designated dept, should be on your job description...remember it is a guideline only...not set in stone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk