News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:49PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 402
Total: 407

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mildew

All very boring now. This six months can’t end soon enough.

Wirey2020

Thanks m360....any thoughts around what we discussed above regarding the apparent criteria of team larger than 15 would generate a second stock managers yet that doesn’t seem to be the case....are there any food stock managers left untouched as a result of this informal change?

The company’s logics behind the change seems to rely on these two factors!

mike360

The 15 won’t be based on physical people employed.  I believe it’s budgeted headcount and one head equals something like 25 hours.  So if you have 25 hours x 15 = 375 hours budgeted across all the stock control departments, you will get or keep a second manager.

mike360

Annual Review and Soft Structure are the same process.

The management structure for each store is reviewed once per year, hence Annual Review.

Soft structure refers to the fact that any changes in roles are resolved informally rather than through use of redundancy.

Mildew

My reply said dependent on sales and colleague headcount.

Wirey2020

Thank you m360...I suppose my next question is based on how the annual review proposed change is resolved once it hits the 6 months mark?

Me2015

As much as the explanation gives some insight into the ‘behind the scenes’ thought process, it can’t give us any further answers to our main question, and that is what is the next step after 6 months!

The fact remains, that we, am I right to include you Wirey2020, you had the same conversation, that the Stock Manager job no longer exists in our store, so any working out of the headcount is irrelevant as a conversation had taken place to explain our role is being removed from the store.

Obviously there is still 2 weeks to go, and I can’t believe there has not been any chat in the centre with what to do with the remaining Food Managers

mike360

I would be extremely surprised if redundancy is offered, especially with the move away from using redundancy in the Q1 changes this year.

Could be wrong, someone somewhere will have worked out the number of people that haven’t moved and the cost of resolving it.

Far more likely is store managers being put under extra pressure to get it fixed using the vacancies that are available locally.

Mildew

The mention of formal process in the first meeting leads me to think the remaining managers will go into consultation. This cannot go on indefinitely.

Mildew

And was started well outside the q1 plans so may be the last of the redundancies.

Me2015

I can understand that reasoning m360, however there are still areas, such as mine, that no vacancies exist and 'putting pressure' on the store manager who will do the same to the stock manager may lead to unreasonable behaviour especially if the conversations that have been had are sound in relation to say, not moving to another store due to transport issues or not taking a role in a store where the hours worked currently are far different to what is expected in the 'new' store....then where will that leave Tesco??

mike360

I'm not defending that approach, it's just what I think will happen.

Could be wrong though.

Wirey2020

Me2015, I'm trying to ascertain whether there is any other stock managers left who are not affected in the wider business as like I said it's what the logic behind the change being an informal one. But yes, not long now, the cynic in me though doesn't think they'll come out with a resolution bang on the end of the 6 months!!

Hopefully I'm wrong too!!

Me2015

That is fair enough m360.

Wirey2020, I've asked this question at the start, and given the answer I can be certain that NO Food Stock Managers will remain.  Following on from WK12 simplification and ongoing reduction of accountabilities for us, the role is no longer required in stores, as the Stock and Admin Manager now has the similar spans of control similar to the Grocery and Non Food Replenishment Managers.

I'm hopeful for a transparent conversation at the end of the 6 month period, as promised at my meeting.  I've already started the process of getting a resolution by making requests to my store manager about the impending timeframe.  I will make further representations to the relevant executives in WGC come the end of Feb

Mildew

Me, what you have been told  about no food managers remaining completely flies in the face of my grievance response. They need to get their story straight.

Me2015

I recall you saying something similar a little while back.

They are obviously not going to disclose the information on demand, however can I ask if you were told that was the case?

I've asked the question too, I've done some research into this also, I know lots of people who know people around the country, none have come back to say the role is being kept.  There are some very large extra stores who at first glance would seem to warrant 2 managers but the 'informal' discussions are being had with every manager

Redshoes

All should be asked, no matter how big the store. Managers don't always live local, many travel as they have to go to where there are jobs. It opens up options for all if all are consulted. It could be that somebody is happy to move roles in a store that retains this role but that gives the option for another person who wants to retain this role to move into that role. It could be that this opens up a role in a store closer to home, for one or two. Granted it won't be many but if these questions are not asked it closes the door to one solution, even if does not apply to many.
In my store only two managers live local, all the rest travel in from about 15-20 miles. All that travel have stores nearer to home.

Mildew

Me2015, if you scroll back a bit I directly quote what I have in black and white which says the role is not being removed from every store.

Me2015

I have reviewed this thread and understand you put a grievance in about the situation. In terms of the hearing, who completed this; was it internal or out with your store?

They have obviously given you feedback based on your questions however how has this feedback been validated?

What I'm saying is, given we are in the same position, and very likely have followed the same avenues to challenge, the responses seem to be different hence my questions about the feedback given to you!

I'm in no doubt this situation is a clear money saving exercise.  They have spent an absolute fortune on redundancy payments, from the little amounts from GA's to the astronomical amounts given to Store Managers and above.

Given previous leaks, I'd say this process is one which keeps the resources rather than throw away and allows those who want to stay, to do so in another role.  I can say, and I may be wrong, but the job is going in every store. 

The next couple of weeks will be interesting to see how they progress, either drag their heels a bit like the current government and Brexit, or a well thought out plan is ready to go!

Mildew

It was heard by a people partner from another group and I believe the information in the response came largely from Colleague Relations Team.

Me2015

That's interesting then, were they coy about making such bold statements or matter of fact, as my experience was very nonchalant, clearly trying to make me feel like I was in the wrong for not accepting a move?!

Wirey2020

Getting the same treatment Me...got another meeting soon regarding moving 🙄

Me2015

By sounds of it you are well versed in saying 'no' so good luck and stick to your guns!

Mildew

Me, it was very much a statement of this is the policy and a categoric statement that the job role is not being removed by the company, just at stores which fall outside the parameters.

NightAndDay

Remember you're not in the wrong if the move is unreasonable, a redundancy situation is where your job role is removed for you (just because it exists for some in the wider business doesn't change the fact it's still a job removal and therefore still a factor in a redundancy situation) and any job moves offered must be reasonable, this is where they'll try to coerce you into thinking what they're offering is reasonable and any refusal will mean you're out of a job without a payout, remember Tesco conforms to the law, not the other way round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk