Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:31PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,121
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Store temperature(and/or lighting) when closed

Started by surlaroute, 27-11-22, 09:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surlaroute

the former is more my concern but seems to me to be connected to the latter (the lights go down when it closes at midnight and gradually the store becomes intolerably cold, even wearing layers, I'm not on chilled or frozen and my fingers become icy - my RING changes size to the point it's in danger of falling off - and they come back on about an hour before Dotcom are due in, at which point it begins to warm up, extremely convenient as far as witnesses are concerned... sorry I'm freakin paranoid about this at this point), I guess I'm asking if anyone recognises this situation, I have now complained 3 times via protector line (once before they switched how that was run, a second time earlier in the year, and a third time at which point they claimed they couldn't find my earlier complaint). I just know it cannot be right. At some point in my earlier complaint I seem to remember a notice was put up acknowledging similar complaints and declaring "this is a 'cold store'" whatever that means but that notice was literally gone the next time I went in. It's bewildering and uncomfortable and demoralising and for now represents the mere tip but most clear and workable of my issues with this company.

gomezz

I work as a dot com driver so I am used to working in the cold outdoors during the winter months and dressing appropriately with extra layers and gloves.  But I accept that the nature of my job means five minutes in the cold alternated with five minutes in a nice, heated cab while driving to the next customer.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

StinkyPoo

My store is freezing overnight too :(   cools down a lot between midnight and 5, then warms back up!

surlaroute

Quote from: gomezz on 27-11-22, 11:10PMI work as a dot com driver so I am used to working in the cold outdoors during the winter months and dressing appropriately with extra layers and gloves.  But I accept that the nature of my job means five minutes in the cold alternated with five minutes in a nice, heated cab while driving to the next customer.

this is another important point I guess posting it this time of year ... it *isn't* just time of year, it's all year round, and at this time of year they often manage to make it *colder* in the store than it is in the warehouse (essentially outdoors)... this is the bewildering part of it...

stockcontroller

Before I left I used to start at 5am with the rest of stock control and we always used to be freezing the first part of our shift until it became unbearabley warm after picking up the work that night shift never wanted to do (actually filling the shelves). This has clearly been a thing for years. Clearly I can't comment on it now as I saw sense and left Tesco in 2019 with a large redundancy package.

surlaroute

Quote from: stockcontroller on 28-11-22, 02:57AMBefore I left I used to start at 5am with the rest of stock control and we always used to be freezing the first part of our shift until it became unbearabley warm after picking up the work that night shift never wanted to do (actually filling the shelves). This has clearly been a thing for years. Clearly I can't comment on it now as I saw sense and left Tesco in 2019 with a large redundancy package.

y'know, sometimes the deliveries never come in, and then even when they do someone tells you not to bother and looks at you darkly if you do or tells you it's Sunday's or "we're not doing crisps today" for some reason. but at least you started on topic. looking forward to redundancy too.

Juicecorner

Quote from: stockcontroller on 28-11-22, 02:57AMBefore I left I used to start at 5am with the rest of stock control and we always used to be freezing the first part of our shift until it became unbearabley warm after picking up the work that night shift never wanted to do (actually filling the shelves). This has clearly been a thing for years. Clearly I can't comment on it now as I saw sense and left Tesco in 2019 with a large redundancy package.

Left 3 years ago but still commenting on this page 😂😂

lucgeo

8-) and what exactly did you add to the topic or help in any way?  8-)

Well for your information I too left in 2019, with the stock control cull!

Why do I still contribute to this site? Because as the older, long serving colleagues leave, they are replaced with low hour contracts and naive people recruited, who may never even get the chance to speak to anyone on a different dept ( more so on days ) as they either don't have a shift long enough to warrant a break in the rest room, or find they're sitting on their own in there! Therefore being aware of the rules and their working rights by speaking or learning from another colleague with knowledge is pretty much a non starter. I then see that other posters are not always able to offer much help or advice, but then I see posts such as yours, whose only effort of a response is ridicule :-X

So getting back to surlaroute's post...there are guidance recommendations on working temperature's and Tesco does purport to adhere to these guidelines which are...minimum temperature working is 16c in a sedate working environment, or 13c in a more rigorous job. Filling would come under the 13c guidelines.

There should be thermostats around the store recording the temperatures, some parts of the store are colder than others. If anyone is working in temps below the guidelines then they are entitled to take more hot drink breaks. They should also be speaking to their H&S store rep, to have the thermostats monitored, also the union reps are there to help in getting the store temperatures raised!

I'm not surprised the note of "this is a cold store" was taken down! It admitted it was below the guidelines, accepting there was a notable problem! Anytime a suss notice is put up, take a photo for future reference!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

jonty

I took redundancy in May 2019 but went back in December 2019 :D

Our colleauge room gets really warm and when you go back to shop floor you have rosey cheeks lol

londoner83

With energy prices going thru the roof it's probably simple economics that means store is heated to just above legal minimum rather than matching the temperature on a Caribbean Beach.

Spongbob

My store is the same gets cold around midnight warms up around 6am..baffles me why all fridge and freezer lights go off yet front of store lighting can be seen from mars

stockcontroller

Quote from: lucgeo on 28-11-22, 03:20PM8-) and what exactly did you add to the topic or help in any way?  8-)

Well for your information I too left in 2019, with the stock control cull!

Why do I still contribute to this site? Because as the older, long serving colleagues leave, they are replaced with low hour contracts and naive people recruited, who may never even get the chance to speak to anyone on a different dept ( more so on days ) as they either don't have a shift long enough to warrant a break in the rest room, or find they're sitting on their own in there! Therefore being aware of the rules and their working rights by speaking or learning from another colleague with knowledge is pretty much a non starter. I then see that other posters are not always able to offer much help or advice, but then I see posts such as yours, whose only effort of a response is ridicule :-X

So getting back to surlaroute's post...there are guidance recommendations on working temperature's and Tesco does purport to adhere to these guidelines which are...minimum temperature working is 16c in a sedate working environment, or 13c in a more rigorous job. Filling would come under the 13c guidelines.

There should be thermostats around the store recording the temperatures, some parts of the store are colder than others. If anyone is working in temps below the guidelines then they are entitled to take more hot drink breaks. They should also be speaking to their H&S store rep, to have the thermostats monitored, also the union reps are there to help in getting the store temperatures raised!

I'm not surprised the note of "this is a cold store" was taken down! It admitted it was below the guidelines, accepting there was a notable problem! Anytime a suss notice is put up, take a photo for future reference!

Exactly some people on here don't realise that even though we left 3 years ago. Stock controllers knew literally everything in store as we were the most experienced colleagues with the longest tenure. Now it's mostly students on low hours and not doing it long term (I am aware that's not the case for everyone). I could probably still tell mr juicecorner more about Tesco systems than they know even now lol acting like chief chocolate ar*e as he still works for the worst retail company in the UK.

me-only-me

Last week most of nights worked with jackets on, thought it was just our store cold.

surlaroute

QuoteExactly some people on here don't realise that even though we left 3 years ago. Stock controllers knew literally everything in store as we were the most experienced colleagues with the longest tenure. Now it's mostly students on low hours and not doing it long term (I am aware that's not the case for everyone). I could probably still tell mr juicecorner more about Tesco systems than they know even now lol acting like chief chocolate ar*e as he still works for the worst retail company in the UK.

if the planet survives long enough congratulations you will survive in memories because one day people will study how insane it is that two [2] ex-Tesco staff hi-jacked a random post on a secret message board cos they were still so traumatised by their experience working for this absolute head case of a company. thanks for proving points I wasn't even trying to make, both of you. [runs off screen and straight into a wall]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk