Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:27PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 286
Total: 291

Bakers, are you affected how do you feel?

Started by forrestgimp, 25-02-20, 07:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polar

Trouble is, once the wind blows over we will all be back to square one. Getting shafted....

They played their hand, I think it's right to have you cake and eat it. I know everyone's situation is different.

If the company asked, hay let those who want to stay, stay. But I don't want to be messed around any. Wages cut, bonus cut, hours cut,jobs cut.

If they pull out, it's just pure greed. Whatever the spin.

Get on with it and stop messing with peoples lives, it's just a job.

lucgeo

Quote from: Jethro on 21-03-20, 03:39PM
Should give people their redundancy package, then the option of staying on  on a temporary contract until it's all over.

Once you are paid redundancy, you are no longer employed, therefore all your official documentation is processed...P45...P60 etc...you would then have to re apply, which could take weeks to sort out!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

polar

Maybe they could do like a deferred temporary contract thingy. Not sure on the legal technicalities but....

forrestgimp

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-03-20, 05:32PM
Should give people their redundancy package, then the option of staying on  on a temporary contract until it's all over.

Once you are paid redundancy, you are no longer employed, therefore all your official documentation is processed...P45...P60 etc...you would then have to re apply, which could take weeks to sort out!

Application to starting is taking about 24 hours in the current climate.

polar

I am right in thinking that when we where all called into a meeting, that's the start of the 90 days? Anyone able to confirm this?

Redshoes

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-03-20, 05:32PM

Only way I know of to do this is to take deferred redundancy. You have a sort of trial in new role to se if it suits. I believe you can agree a given time but either side can pull it at any time. Recently, when the electrical desks went some colleagues took temp Christmas jobs, at the end they either paid off or stayed. You just can't leave and get your lump sum but stay, but these are not normal times so things could change. Constant updates. The way we are recruiting is not normal, the way we are inducting these new people is not normal. Normal does not exist just now.

Bakersdozen

If they do put it on hold until reality is back to normal then us bakery staff should be compensated out of good will. Not sure how they would work it out maybe a 'uncertainty payment'  20% of our past years earnings should see reasonable.

Baker4life

What happens if you have been accepted for a new job elsewhere thinking your end date is 1st may, but then Tesco keep you on for longer. Then your new job offer gets withdrawn because they are not willing to wait!! Either leave and take new job but no redundancy, or stay for X amount of months and get pay off but no job once you leave.

Bluebertie

Exactly we were going to bake off and I was told there was no job for me.  Accepted a new role elsewhere and due to start 9th May. I was told my leaving date would be 2nd may and have been given a redundancy figure.

Baker4life

Bertie blue maybe ask if your redundancy figure matched the vlh calculator?

Bluebertie

Quote from: Baker4life on 23-03-20, 02:57AM
Bertie blue maybe ask if your redundancy figure matched the vlh calculator?
. No it was 2500 more

cheesy cob

If we go lock down, how we going to have the chance to find jobs

lucgeo

Quote from: cheesy cob on 23-03-20, 07:38AM
If we go lock down, how we going to have the chance to find jobs

The chances are other companies will also be in lockdown, so finding alternative employment will be drastically reduced?

Quote from: Bluebertie on 22-03-20, 04:59PM
Exactly we were going to bake off and I was told there was no job for me.  Accepted a new role elsewhere and due to start 9th May. I was told my leaving date would be 2nd may and have been given a redundancy figure.

If you have a redundancy figure on paper, and a letter stating your end date, then I would think the status quo should remain. You may be asked to defer to a later date, to remain in your current position to support. Everything is up in the air as the situation changes on a daily basis.
Your new position may even go into lockdown, they may temporarily close operations, as a new employee would you be on a trial period there? Would you have the same income protection as you have now?

These are all considerations that, I personally, would be weighing up  ??? I would play everything by ear, until nearer the time.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Bluebertie

My head is set to go now after 18 years of loyalty. Luckily I'm in the position where I don't need to work so it was purely to give me structure to my day as i have generalised anxiety so lack of routine drives me mad. I have plans in place to use the redunancy money wisely and a new role with another supermarket as a skilled baker on the exact same hours its a 6 month probationary period but i just want to go now. I don't want to be used just because they're taking more money at the minute because that is effectively what they will do. I just hope they don't choose to extend it and if they do they give people the option. I spoke to my aunt this morning who is a lawyer for the government and she said until we get the official notice of redundancy letter (which is 2 weeks away) they can move it or cancel it as much as they want

Jethro

If they want to delay it, then it should be for a minimum of 6 months and give people the option .

Fabbakery1999

My store has said no delay to process and are doing the job matching this week

Edit*  also we have one full time baker off in isolation for 12 weeks

Bakersdozen

I think it's an absolute disgrace the company haven't updated affected collegues by now, we have been going like the clappers all week, we've not sold out of bread/roll/hot-x all week Doing 50+ bags of production per day.
If they want to delay the process that's fine but it needs to be a minimum of 6 months and there needs to be an uncertainty 'stress compensation' package in place minimum 20% of last years earnings.

They are going to need our skill more than ever now. You can not replace that skill/experaince like you can other departments especially when under pressure. 

Fabbakery1999

They say that it's come from above that it continues as planned.
We work our rear ends off and even more so this last week as it didn't matter how much we produced it was all sold that day to then do this >:(

Surely the process can't be fair especially if any one has time off through no fault of their own due to isolation requirements

King1999

With all the uncertainty with jobs full stop now,what exactly are the twats in their ivory towers playing at.Stores are f***ed at the minute they've made out they give a s*** by recruiting and it sounds like you bakers have been the putting bread literally on peoples tables.Maybe the papers need telling this.Absolutely infuriating way to treat dedicated staff but let's face it they've done it plenty of times before.Disgusting way to treat people and the deafening silence from the union gets louder everyday.

Bluebertie

Tell me about it. They said in Feb we were going to part bake, gave me a form with redundancy amount and proposed leaving date, said if I wanted to take that I don't need to fill in availability form. After 18 years service even though I knew it was coming I felt like someone had pulled the floor out. I went home chatted to hubby and felt better. I started looking for job and was offered one to start in May a week after I leave. This meant I could do something useful with payout and it wouldn't be wasted covering wages.

Now if they extend it yes I'll still get a payout at the end but I'll loose the job that I have got to walk into, it's all rumours that they're extending it but my boss keeps telling me they are and they shouldn't be allowed to mess with people's lives like that.  They made a choice they shouldn't be allowed to change it just because they're taking more money.

Hammer10

We are only doing what’s on production so I have been told no hot cross and minimal roll waste on french yesterday was horrendous.

Gymbunny

Just found out if you have had holidays since the 9th March you don't qualify for the 10% bonus. I'm sure I didnt read that in rhe email.
Tosco at its best.

Jethro

Think they mean you won't get the bonus on your holiday hours,  just the hours you've actually worked.

Gymbunny

Quote from: Gymbunny on 23-03-20, 03:37PM
Just found out if you have had holidays since the 9th March you don't qualify for the 10% bonus. I'm sure I didn't read that in the email.

Got this wrong, just heard from my boss you do get the bonus but not for hols, which is OK.
My store manager had posted a message  that made it sound like you got nothing.  My mistake.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk