Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-17, 01:37AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7681
  • Latest: Amyoliv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 72937
  • Total Topics: 1594
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 86
Total: 91

Author Topic: Absence query.  (Read 1763 times)

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
Absence query.
« on: 13-11-17, 10:33PM »
Hi, can anyone give advice please. I was off sick with a knee injury for 5 weeks. As my knee is no better, awaiting MRI, I am working in my local store as its easier for me to get to. I have worked there for a week but have had to go off again due to a stomach virus Ive picked up, I was sent home as I was very ill at work. My absence percentage from knee injury is around 20%  with one occasion of absence, it didnt go to an A.R. though. When I return to work after this absence will my percentage be added to the existing one and trigger an AR?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Re: Absence query.
« Reply #1 on: 14-11-17, 06:40AM »
I dont see how they can argue you are not fulfilling your contract when they themselves sent you home, Thats why they are massively reluctant to do that.

Thats how I would argue it any way,

madness

• Regular Pain
« Reply #2 on: 14-11-17, 11:33AM »
If you have a great record before your knee issue are a known hard worker, always on time no previous warnings etc then the two seperate instances will be seen as a bad spell. If you have a history of lateness, not turning up for random shifts, "my mums friends dog died" days off and lots of random 1 off "sickness" days then it will go to a 1st absense warning if you have nothing previous on the record or 2nd warning if on a live 1st.

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 14-11-17, 01:34PM »
I have had absences due to chronic ilness which are now better controlled, and had warnings for these absences in previous years. But in the past year or so my attendance has improved until now :'(

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 14-11-17, 06:32PM »
Did they actually tell you to go home? Or did they let you make the decision

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 14-11-17, 07:41PM »
They called paramedics as I was so poorly and apparently looked awful, and yes I was told to go home and get better.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 14-11-17, 08:56PM »
How much of the shift did you work?

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 14-11-17, 09:49PM »
4 hours so had 2 and half left when I went home.

Stephen Merchant

« Reply #8 on: 15-11-17, 02:23PM »
Hi there! I was just wondering what the process is regarding disciplinary actions. I’ve been off work for the last 4/5 months and I’ve jsut returned. My ARI has been now moved to a disciplinary meeting over my absence which is over 70% however I’ve provided a doctors note and I just wondering what the likely outcome is. I have no previous on my record over anything? Anybody know?

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 15-11-17, 02:28PM »
Depending why you were off if you were hospitalised it should all be removed .

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 15-11-17, 02:54PM »
Can anyone help me with my question please? 8-)

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 15-11-17, 06:43PM »
If you have a chronic illness it may be covered by the Equalities Act 2010 - worth looking up.

madness

• Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 15-11-17, 06:45PM »
Sheepy nothing live on your record then 1st absence warning. Current live warning, either the next stage  up or re issue of current warning.

As for the other query in this thread just because you get a doctors note it does not give you an automatic exclusion from a warning.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 15-11-17, 06:54PM »
Sheepy

If you worked over half your shift it shouldn't count as an absence % also if you were sent home by a manager it does not count as an absence %. Your rep should know this  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 15-11-17, 07:56PM »
So are the 3 days Ive also had off with the same illness included with what you said lucgeo?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 15-11-17, 08:12PM »
Sheepy

No, the three days are included in your absence %, only the day you were sent home should not be included. However, if the three days off were after you were sent home, for the same illness, then the fact you were deemed unfit to continue to work and sent home prior to your absence should be taken into consideration.

Just because you are over the absence % doesn't automatically warrant a disciplinary. You have been off prior, from what I recall you requested to move to a store nearer you to enable you to return to work earlier, that should be considered to your merit, the fact that a manager sent you home this time, should also be considered. I hope you have a good rep, who is making these points in you meeting  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

• Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 15-11-17, 08:13PM »
so far you have a long period with your knee and a 3 day period with the stomach infection. If your record is clean i'd say a 1st written. If not expect further.  Also a long history with your knee that you knew about what did you do or are you doing to improve it?

Edited to add following on from the above post moving to another store to support your attendence will go in your favour but you may need to raise it as a point.

Also your stomach infection. Has that been diagnosed by a doctor and could it be related to any medication you are taking for your knee?
« Last Edit: 15-11-17, 08:18PM by madness »

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 15-11-17, 08:32PM »
I'm waiting to have an MRI on my knee as my physio can see it isn't improving, may need an op in the future? The paramedic who came said it was a stomach bug I've got a written report saying this.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #18 on: 19-11-17, 09:01PM »
Even if you have had good attendance for a year, it hasnt been good lately and you said you have previous expired warnings.  I would take a rep and attend work every shift from now on.  If your knee is giving you issues ask for light duties or a job that doesn't make you worse.