Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-17, 06:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 72951
  • Total Topics: 1595
  • Online Today: 167
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Christmas working hours for nights  (Read 7524 times)

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
Re: Christmas working hours for nights
« Reply #25 on: 02-11-17, 06:01PM »
the only time "reasonable" is in their vocabulary is when it comes before"request" >:(

heyyouguys

« Reply #26 on: 02-11-17, 11:49PM »
As stated earlier you should get rep involved on night's and get everyone to vote and go with majority it's not down to store manager or any night manager to decide you still have time to get it sorted

Ă‘otsohappychappy

« Reply #27 on: 05-11-17, 04:17PM »
I work nights and I'm contracted the Sunday, Monday & Tuesday I have volunteered to work Sunday have Christmas day off, but have been told I have to work the Tuesday if its a bank holiday I thought it was voluntary to work it.  I was told that you can't have a bank holiday on the Sunday so it would be the Monday/Tuesday.

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #28 on: 05-11-17, 05:08PM »
Christmas Eve is not a bank holiday Christmas Day is a Monday which you take as a holiday day also boxing day is a holiday which you do not have to work unless you are new to the company in the last few years it should be in your contract if you are supposed to work you should work it but you can try and book it off.Some managers will let you have it off depending if they are nice.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #29 on: 07-11-17, 01:06PM »
I think newer colleagues can be forced to work 'normal' bank holidays but not christmas ones.  If you cant work Sunday night because the store is closed you will have the option to work that shift back within a reasonable time period.  Ideally around christmas.  However you should still be entitled to have the Monday /tuesday off and use bank holiday days.

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #30 on: 07-11-17, 01:30PM »
You cannot be forced to do anything. The sickie is always an option.

Night with the owls

« Reply #31 on: 08-11-17, 04:53PM »
It all depends on what your bank holidays are over Xmas. This is how it works...

First there are 3 bank holidays over Xmas/new year
Yes it is agreed sometime during the year what days days these bank holidays for nights are taken on. ( usually night managers, union rep and majority of staff are asked )
It then is announced to night team that over Xmas, bank holidays are on these days.
Unless a big majority of night team are unhappy with these days then you cannot change them.
3 bank holidays 2 over Xmas and 1 over new year

Night options are....
1. Xmas eve & Xmas day as bank holidays or
2. Xmas day & Boxing Day as bank holidays
&
Over new year....
1. Year's Eve or
2. New Year's Day

My store bank holidays are Xmas eve, Xmas day and New Year's Eve
All other shifts are normal shifts so Boxing Day night in my store is NOT a bank holiday and must be worked if your contracted. We have been offered options of swapping with others as some people want New Years day off and don't mind working Boxing Day.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #32 on: 08-11-17, 06:02PM »
Night with the owls is that the offical briefing if it is have you a copy you could put on here please our store manager & union rep seem to have made the decision for us.

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #33 on: 08-11-17, 08:39PM »
Usually its Christmas eve , Christmas day and new years night or Christmas day boxing night and new years eve. That's the usual choice. If you have got Christmas eve and new years eve , brilliant.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #34 on: 09-11-17, 11:32PM »
What do you? Bank holiday arrangements ? If so that's done by an instore vote by nights were they pick which 3 allocated bank holidays they want . Check with your union rep or PM

Its a shame out store took the vote away from us and the store manager and senior night manager make that decision now on all bank holidays so we end up getting screwed. They moved our good friday to a sat night so we couldnt get time and a half 2 days in a row. They said needs of the business lol.

Are you saying that Your store manager gets to make up which day is a bank holiday ? and its not the company or law ?

Yes that is what im saying.

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 10-11-17, 02:04AM »
I work nights and a few years ago they switched all our Monday bank holidays to Sunday. I just book all the Monday's off as bank holidays I refuse to work on a bank holiday for flat money.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #36 on: 10-11-17, 04:19PM »
They moved all our Friday BH to Sat*rday night and the Mondays to Sunday as well.  Just so they can save some money.  But days get to keep all their time and a half days as normal.  Nights really get screwed over, then they wonder why people toss it off and the manager ends up doing more work then the staff to get the shelves filled.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #37 on: 10-11-17, 04:25PM »
Still could do with the Christmas briefing info for nights, if anyone could pop a copy on here for me please

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 10-11-17, 05:13PM »
 Cosmosmallpiece , if neither  your rep or manager can show you the choices and how the vote went , ask the pm . If there's no joy there ring your local union office for clarification . If there's still no joy stick a grievance in against the store manager. Gauranteed it will be sorted pronto! Lol.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #39 on: 13-11-17, 05:56PM »
Lol even the Union Rep said we have no choice so that's it then I don't think so 😠

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #40 on: 13-11-17, 06:41PM »
As a Union Rep I have had no briefing and my AO said ask the PM who said ask the night lead who said 'I have no idea what you are talking about' lol

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #41 on: 14-11-17, 12:16PM »
Lol even the Union Rep said we have no choice so that's it then I don't think so 😠

Union reps have no power on this matter. They do what they're told. SM and Senior night manager make the decisions on bank holidays.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #42 on: 14-11-17, 12:20PM »
the staff make the decision if they turn up or not because tesco has p**sed them off

madness

• Regular Pain
« Reply #43 on: 14-11-17, 12:59PM »
This getting a bit like bar and pub workers complaining about working xmas eve and new years eve. I'm sure the entire store would like xmas eve boxing day 31st 1st jan 2nd jan off etc but no-one is forcing you to work in retail. That is the way it is. Frankly the undesirable working days should be time and a half but not optional bank holidays. Stores should not be open on the 25th or 1st though.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #44 on: 14-11-17, 01:04PM »
supermarkets should not be open 7 days any week  :)

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 14-11-17, 02:12PM »
That would never happen, plus the supermarkets rely on weekend/Xmas trade or they'd end up bust.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #46 on: 14-11-17, 04:59PM »
Do wish Tesco would take a lead and close all stores Boxing Day and New Years Day. Most suppliers are closed so there is seldom fresh stock to sell.
Would make it stand out as valuing their workforce.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #47 on: 14-11-17, 05:09PM »
Totally agree !

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #48 on: 14-11-17, 06:30PM »
Otherwise perhaps they need to do another Xmas ad of a family sitting down for Boxing Day Meal with the strap line "Everyone's Welcome" - unless you have to work in one of our stores.....

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #49 on: 14-11-17, 10:00PM »
That would never happen, plus the supermarkets rely on weekend/Xmas trade or they'd end up bust.
All additional trading hours and days have ever done is spread existing trade out over longer time periods making the operation more manageable over time - opening on Sundays for example took the 'sting' out of Sat*rdays which were becoming logistically impossible to operate and took sales out of Mondays. And it wasn't until the late 80's that Tesco stopped closing at lunchtime on Wednesdays which put an end to those mad busy Tuesdays, so promotion changes were thus moved to Tuesday nights instead of Sat*rdays. If you truly understand the UK grocery retail market, you understand that there has never been any empirical or financial evidence to suggest extended trading hours or additional days delivers increased sales across the sector. Perhaps the first to do so took trade from those who didn't open longer/extra days but since they all do it nowadays there is nothing to suggest that these extended hours and days have delivered growth in the grocery market - when adjusted for inflation, the UK grocery market value has remained static for a very very long time, independently of how many hours and days the shops are open - there's only so much money people have to spend on food. Hence, Tesco can claim sales have increased despite the demise of it's 24-hour trading operations - it's just moved sales from nights to days. If all retailers closed on Sundays, we'd go back to having extremely busy Sat*rdays and a surge in Dot Com customers, both of which would create an operational nightmare. People would not stop buying food because the shops are shut one day a week, they'd simply buy it on another day.