News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:20PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 279
Total: 281

opting out of Sundays

Started by loser38, 05-03-14, 09:37PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loser38

hi,asking as a favour for a friend...she is a team leader and has been employed for about a year with Tesco and wants to drop her Saturday nights...i said there was a policy of "opting out" of Sunday working,but seeing as she works nightshift,i think we can opt out of Saturday nights instead....would i be right,and would it make a difference to her as she is a team leader,would she be allowed to do so without being demoted or losing her job.

notsofunny

Sat nights are regarded as sunday, for night workers if I am correct?,

If it forms part of her contract then she cant change it,

There is a opt out , where she can give 3 months notice,

But that does not mean that the company has to do so if the job requires her to work that day,

As it is iv yet to find a team leader that is allowed to work Monday to Friday,
and its not just about if she would be able to keep her job as team leader,
Its also about would she be able to move to a higher roll

woody505

they way I read the handbook I thought anybody can drop sundays giving the notice period unless they only work sundays. Tesco don't have to replace your hours else where in the week so its your choice wether u can afford to drop sunday working?

zRSo

Anyone can opt out of Saturday nights/Sundays unless you only work that day. Three months notice must be given unless you are not given a written statement explaining your opt out rights within two months of your employment start date.

Also, you cannot be dismissed/selected for redundancy or any other kind of detriment for refusing to work Saturday nights/Sundays. I would expect this would cover demotion.

I have opted out Sunday as I was contracted it from Ideal Schedules, I gave 3 months notice and my PM then asked why 3 months and not 1 month. I said because I was not sure whether I was given a written statement about the opt out right so I played it safe.

You can choose to opt in again at any time but the employer does not have to offer additional hours. You can also work occasionally by agreement without opting in too.

"You cannot be dismissed, disciplined or treated less favourably, such as being denied overtime or promotion or training opportunities, if the reason for such treatment is your refusal to work on a Sunday."

More information can be found on the VLH wiki -

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sunday_Working_%28Opt-Out%29

Loki

You can work as many Sunday overtime shifts as you want without having to opt back in.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

loser38

brilliant,thanks for the advice..i will pass the info on to her,she is quite happy to drop the Saturday night and not look for any additional hours to make her pay up...wether its as easy as you all say is another matter as her manager is a bit of an idiot,and more often than not its him thats off the Saturdays...she was using her holidays to take as many Saturdays off as she could,but he has put a stop to this..thanks again.

loser38

lol,am guessing there is a problem typing the word Saturday on here

Loki

Armin

I do nights too, am I right in saying that they are not obliged to replace the hours lost by dropping saturday nights, ie changing the saturday night to work another night in the working week instead?

zRSo

Correct, they do not have to and probably will not offer additional hours.

tumshie

you can always ask, tho.

Loki

They should make every attempt to accommodate.

loser38

she is more than happy to lose a shift as she is finding working nightshift is messing with her home/family/social life..esp when she is working all weekend.

Ibanez

If she is a teamleader I would say she would have to go back to ga as the role is 5 nights per week in my opinion

loser38

we have had a few TLs that only work 4 nights in the past,they were started on 4 nights

Luchagore

Team Leader is not a full time job. You could have two part time team leaders - the allowance is there to have a FT equivalent.

Ibanez

But what I am getting at is they could tell get if she wants to drop a Sunday she would have to step down

tumshie

our dept T/L spends most of their time doing the normal work of the dept.  if they dropped to 4 shifts, surely they could do the T/L stuff within the 4 shifts and someone else could be given the 5th shift of normal work (or the branch could just save money by not bothering with that).

i guess it depends on how flexible her management wants to be.

Loki

Quote from: Thailand on 08-03-14, 05:06PM
If she is a teamleader I would say she would have to go back to ga as the role is 5 nights per week in my opinion

Based on what? A Team Leader has the right to opt out of a Sunday. No different to a Customer Assistant having the same right.

Your opinion is irrelevant and on the brink of ridiculousness.

Tesco bird

We have just been given Sunday opt out forms and told for nights it's a Sunday. Most believed it to be Saturday. Where can we find out  (-*-) (-*-)

troll-hunter

Irrespective of rank what then would the situation be if a night-shifter who worked Saturday into Sunday and Sunday into Monday wanted to opt out of Sunday working, ?

cosmosmallpiece

Hi can anyone tell me if you work a Saturday night shift can use the opt out sunday option because you work more hours on Sunday than Saturday? And if so where can I get this information from thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk