News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 287
Total: 290

words fail me

Started by tumshie, 18-10-14, 10:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-refuses-mother-parking-ticket-9236463

Quote"I do not however need to be guilt-tripped by a Tesco employee who has absolutely no knowledge of my circumstances. I applaud your commitment to support breastfeeding however this does not mean you should abuse women who do not breast feed.

"I hope you are able to give your staff the training they clearly require in order to treat women in this situation with more compassion in the future."

A spokesman for Tesco said: "We always strive to provide the best possible service for our customers and we understand Ms Leek's request. However, due to UK law we cannot promote baby formula in any way, including the offering of a parking voucher."

Words fail me  :-X
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

blutopia

One newspaper blamed EU regulations that ban baby milk from being included in any deals or discounts, but for goodness sake, what ever happened to common sense?  What did the Tesco staff think would happen if they turned a blind eye?

Mr Grumpy

I think this has more to do with the "its more than my jobsworth" culture of the big T than the person who refused the free parking. 

I'm sure the store would of quite happily thrown that person to the lions had they done the common sense/human thing and allowed the woman to park for free and then a complaint went in regarding promoting milk formula. 

Well done yet again big T for making staff feel they have no choice but to be a jobsworth to keep themselves in a job..  :-X :-X :-X

optout

one of the commenters posted this,

[size=0px]I think this covers it:[/size]Infant Formula and Follow-on Formula Regulations 2007 (as amended)

72. Regulations 23(1)(d), (e) and 23(2) prohibit 'special sales' to promote the sale of an infant formula or any other special activity at any place where any infant formula is sold by retail to induce the sale of an infant formula. For example multi packs (bulk packs),loyalty/reward card schemes, free formula, price reductions, discounts or mark downs and buy one get one free.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Nomad

Woman 'told to breastfeed in a storeroom' at Tesco cafe

QuoteA young mother claims staff at Tesco told her to breastfeed in a storeroom instead of the main cafe.

Lucy Foster, 24, says she was left feeling ashamed after being sent to a closed-off area where chairs and Christmas decorations were kept.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

TripleAAA

Baby milk is always excluded from anything that requires a minimum spend.  This is due to UK law. Total non - story.  My store runs a similar parking voucher scheme and if  the rules are the same you get half an hour free parking anyway with no need for a voucher then over 30 mins but under 2 hours you get a parking  voucher with a minimum spend.  It doesn't take more than 30 minutes to buy one tin of formula!

notsofunny

Why did she ask if she could ? To me she made a problem out of nothing, The baby cry's you feed , Could it just be that by asking , She made it sound as if she wanted a place to breast feed ? Or is it the Voucher she did not get ?

Leaderofthepack316

Simple answer
1 appogise to the customer
2 sack the colleague like any other retailer would
But as this is tesco, they will probably get a wow comment or a values award..

Nomad

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mums-humiliating-row-over-christmas-20833982

QuoteBut after scanning all their food and paying, Claire claims staff raced over demanding they produce their receipts as proof of payment before leaving the shop in Plymouth.

Do Tesco self service tills give the option as to whether you want a receipt  :question:

Sainsbury's apparently do give customers that option, if a receipt is optional then staff cannot demand to see one.

So if receipt is optional and therefore demand to see cannot be made, what do staff do if they 'suspect' theft without unlawfully detaining the customer  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Teddybonkers

I think the words "Peanuts" and "Monkeys" instantly spring to mind.

penguin

Why are words like guilt tripped, and abused being thrown around, all the staff member did is follow the law. Why do so many people take things like this personally and run to the papers.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

alf

Nomad

Quote from: penguin on 08-11-19, 01:25PM
Why are words like guilt tripped, and abused being thrown around, all the staff member did is follow the law. Why do so many people take things like this personally and run to the papers.

What law is that then ?, it is certainly not law that you must have or take a receipt for your goods.  Useful if returning faulty goods but not essential.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

Nomad, apologies was commenting on the baby milk story, was still half asleep and did not realise the date that one was from, for some reason thought it was today.

Nomad

penguin, no problem.  However I'm still looking for answers regarding receipts not being mandatory and being challenged for one by staff, we don't always see eye to eye but I respect your opinions.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

The receipt is still automatically printed on self serve as far as I'm aware, though many establishments now ask if you want a receipt printed, either verbally or self scan such as ASDA, M&S and I think Morrisons. Add to this, the fact that you choose not to purchase a bag and WAHAY!! Your walking out that door with no proof of purchase, and it's the store whose at fault, if they stop you to ask for proof, and have given the choice not to issue a receipt, then they should be made to prove you haven't paid, by employing more security.

It's all based on payroll V's theft...pretty soon they'll be having honesty boxes at the main entrance. Oh sorry they already do, they leave mountains of stock in the foyers or outside and rely on the honesty of customers to come in and pay. I watched a man park up his 4x4 by the entrance and literally load the back of it with boxes of Coca Cola on offer, I was just leaving store after my shift, still in my uniform and stood looking at him, but he didn't give a s***, and quite frankly neither did I!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

Self service in Tesco lets the customer press yes or no for a receipt, therefore one does have to ask how staff can ask to check them, given the staff could be asking to check something that might not even exist. It is also worth keeping in mind we are told not to detain shoplifters or prevent them leaving, therefore even if it shows up someone has not scanned all the items on self serve what can staff do other than ask the customer to pay for them or leave the items behind, I know people will say call the security guard but Tesco do not allow them to detain anybody either.

Nomad

Thank you both, a truly weird situation.  I have enquired of staff in supermarkets how they would proceed if they asked to see receipt and I did not have one and have received a very strange mixture of answers.  Some of which included detaining me while CCTV covering tills was checked, yea right see you in court  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Redshoes

Quote from: penguin on 08-11-19, 06:31PM
Self service in Tesco lets the customer press yes or no for a receipt, therefore one does have to ask how staff can ask to check them, given the staff could be asking to check something that might not even exist. It is also worth keeping in mind we are told not to detain shoplifters or prevent them leaving, therefore even if it shows up someone has not scanned all the items on self serve what can staff do other than ask the customer to pay for them or leave the items behind, I know people will say call the security guard but Tesco do not allow them to detain anybody either.

Our self service do not give that option. A receipt is automatically printed. It's only optional at PFS in my store and other stores I visit in my area. Customers do however often walk off without.

Nomad

Never shopping in Tesco I would not know the answer regarding their SS tills giving a receipt automatically or not.  However it probably matters not as I have never seen a sign or been informed that the taking/keeping of a receipt is mandatory, it therefore remains that the staff may ask to see something that I am not required to have, and so cannot produce.

So over to the supermarket prove I have not paid, but do not try and detain me while you do that (false imprisonment ?).
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Even if the customer chooses not to print out a receipt, the receipt can still be printed via CMS.

lucgeo

I have just checked the receipts of several stores, and they only state that you must have a receipt as proof of purchase, (on tesco's it just states proof of purchase,) if you want to exchange or have a refund. Different stores have different timeframes, from 14-30 days to return product.

So what now then...no receipt given as choice, so how do you go about getting a refund without proof of purchase which would also state date to show within the timeframe window. What if the item is now reduced in price? Without proof of the full amount you paid, you get the reduced price if you don't want an exchange, which as one receipt states...

'No receipt? We will happily exchange the product within 28 days. We reserve the right to refuse a return' Hmmmm....how do they know it's within 28 days and a bit ominous on their right to refuse a return, also your right to a refund is not offered?? Think I'll definitely be taking every receipt from now on :thumbup:

NightAndDay

Proof of purchase can be done via bank statement and CMS, only at the store purchase from though.

lucgeo

Yep I know, and the load of faffing about it entails..also not overly keen on having my bank statements to hand for all to view. Why does each new initiative rolled out by stores always put more and more, the onus on the customer to prove their rights >:(

Walker

It's not a new initiative at Tesco, it's a consequence of legislation that gives consumers rights to return (the sale of goods act 1979) as long as you have proof of purchase. It's a statement of your legal rights.

Return without proof of purchase isn't a legal right as such, Tesco offers it voluntarily and at it's own discretion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk