News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 04:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 321
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 299
Total: 300

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picktocube

Maybe people are opting to have it delivered to their home as the delivery charge isn't much different. 
Is the 70% reduction based on the same period as last year?

fruitdogs

26% loss in sales from same week last year, 70% less parcels per week from Jan'16. Silly thing is CD's and DVD's are £2 to come  in to Store but free home delivery!

fruitdogs

The majority of our orders are under £30. Used to receive 40+ parcels a day now between 9&18!

Equalizer87

So in other words, they're  trying to make money from something that clearly is no longer viable.

It used to strike me as funny when they announced the costs of home delivery was about £16 per delivery, yet it would cost a customer about £2 for the slot. And then there is the added cost of delivering products to the stores which then has to ship it out again.

Why didn't  they just build RDC sized DotCom centres,  ship large amounts of the needed products into them and roll out online shopping from there. Surely it would have saved a fortune.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

redders

Equalizer87, that's the way ocado do it. Pick the order in massive purpose built picking centre's then load onto trailers and ship it out to the little delivery hubs that they have all over the country, load onto delivery wagons simple. Wait till Amazon really get going in the online grocery market, it will hit the takings of dotcom, drastic needs to open more dark stores.

Equalizer87

Stockrotateman,

Yes I am aware that's what Ocado do, but you would have thought Tesco would have thought of this by now.

I agree, once Amazon start hitting the ground with their Amazon Fresh it will obliterate DotCom. Amazon customers being able to use their customer benefits in more ways than the big supermarkets can offer.

And for Morrisons  to be in league with them is a real coup. Drastic must have seen that news and cried when he heard it break.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

mexicopete

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 28-03-16, 03:07PM
So in other words, they're  trying to make money from something that clearly is no longer viable.

It used to strike me as funny when they announced the costs of home delivery was about £16 per delivery, yet it would cost a customer about £2 for the slot. And then there is the added cost of delivering products to the stores which then has to ship it out again.

Why didn't  they just build RDC sized DotCom centres,  ship large amounts of the needed products into them and roll out online shopping from there. Surely it would have saved a fortune.

When you look at the resource that is used to run Dot.com I can't for the life of me see how it is profitable even in larger format stores. :( :( :(
The worlds me lobster

Equalizer87

Which begs the question why they throw so much into running it? It drains resources from other parts of the business to sustain itself, while making no profit in real terms.

No one in the right mind would throw money into a fire. So are they really that scared of axing DotCom just because they lose a market sector in favour of making profits?

If that's the case they really deserve the pain the company is going through. Sad thing is the staff will always suffer first.

picktocube

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 28-03-16, 03:07PM

There are are a few Dot com centres that have been around for several years and I believe that Tesco are in the process of getting more.

Equalizer87

Does too little, too late come to mind?? Tesco could have been a market leader with massive DotCom  centers that covered large areas, but they decided to go for more stores instead. They will be competing against retailers whose bread and butter is making money through the Internet and be a latecomer to this. It's  all reactive, not proactive, which is what is needed to stay ahead in the modern retail world.

fruitdogs

My original post is about Direct,not .com. We obviously have problems in so many areas.

aj1981

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 28-03-16, 04:23PM

I agree, once Amazon start hitting the ground with their Amazon Fresh it will obliterate DotCom. Amazon customers being able to use their customer benefits in more ways than the big supermarkets can offer.

Can't say too much but that day is coming sooner than you think

redders

Let me guess June.

Equalizer87

Quote from: Weyoun on 28-03-16, 07:23PM
Quote from: Equalizer87 on 28-03-16, 04:23PM

Can't say too much but that day is coming sooner than you think

It certainly is, just waiting to see the next spouting of garbage from the High Tower about how things are "improving".

redders

Is it this week or next for end of year results.

Equalizer87

I think it's about two  weeks  off, they usually announce around 14th- 16th April depending on which falls on a Wednesday ( as I last remember ).

Ideally check it up online if need be.

Equalizer87

April 13th, preliminary results announcement.

redders

Thanks, probably let us know about the bonus at the same time.

Equalizer87

The bonus is still not confirmed????

picktocube

The Turnaround bonus ,if achieved should be announced in May.

Equalizer87

So all the rumours back in February about it being garrentee was garbage???

BANDERSNATCH

Yes.. Never was guaranteed . My management put up posters advertising the 5% turnaround bonus , they came down when it was pointed out you MAY get UP TO a 5% bonus . So MAY means perhaps and UP TO could mean zero to five percent .

Equalizer87

Exactly as I thought, my old TL was spouting  bs about the store manager saying it's confirmed as it came by email. As I told him it's not confirmed and I said we most likely won't  get it.

Loads of staff at my old store are holding out for it. Can't  wait to see their reaction if it's pulled.

oliver

Once They know what the profit is they will decide what percentage will go here and there, they still have to pay back our £250 million pounds deficit  into our pension.in other words we will be paying for it our self's.just a thought.

Equalizer87

That's not including the £250 -£500 million they are looking at for a fine from the SFO.

Either way, it's looks to be an even bigger unlikelihood of getting 5%. Surely with results about two weeks away from being declared they would have an idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk