News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:06PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 292
Total: 295

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheesy cob

If going to lose skill money over the next few years. I don't see that as a job
Match can I just say I want the money

Hammer10

You should be able to do aspects of the bakery ,this is the trouble many have been been stuck doing the same for years and no one likes change if you want a job you need to suck it up I know it’s harsh but the way things are now there won’t be many jobs out there for some time.

mrs blobby

Quote from: BakerBum on 26-03-20, 12:04PM
:( Today i have been given the job list for the new roles and i feel sick... they want so much from such little staff.. i need advice, if i've been baking all these years and now they want over half my job to packing. Is that a like for like job or can i turn it down and take redundo

When you have to pack are they taking away the skilled payment or are you keeping it.

Baker4life

Surely if you are a baker how can you be job matched doing a packers job. The baker role is being made redundant in my store so I can't see how I could be job matched packing part bake products and being classed as a g.a. Even if they match the number of hours the job title would have changed. Funny 4 weeks ago bakers were no longer needed in some stores, now the shi@ has hit the fan we are now classed as 'key workers'.

lucgeo

@mr blobby
That is a good question, as if their job match means a drop in hourly rate per part shift, then they shouldn't be able to push you to take a drop in payment, even if it is protected.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

cheesy cob

Think I will get job matched in hours as having a 5-1 so called baker, packer
But I really what redundancy so not sure how I can get a pay out if I job matched, must be a loop hole or something anyone have any ideas....

BakerBum

Quote from: cheesy cob on 26-03-20, 04:51PM
must be a loop hole or something anyone have any ideas....

thats what i want lol

now i had a nap the list doesn't look so scary. but it seems like i need to grow another set of hands  :thumbdown: plus you really have to work as a team and i don't have much faith in that lol

Quote from: mr blobby on 26-03-20, 03:42PM

When you have to pack are they taking away the skilled payment or are you keeping it.

i think its all as a skill baker, but still seems a bit crazy to do unskilled packing at that rate.. this one i have to wait to find out  :thumbup:

Baker4life

I can't see them paying bakers rate if doing more packing but you never know.

Nomad

Alternative position should be very similar in pay, hours, shift times, skill level, responsibility and distance from home, if in employees opinion it is unreasonable in one or more of those criteria then it can be refused.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

cheesy cob

Me and another baker both put down the same hours and been told  have one job  matched as going to be a job for 5-1 .how can they offer one without the other both done over 15 years service.he works Sunday's I don't. We both want redundancy any one know how they choose

Jethro

They'll probably keep whoever works Sunday

Hammer10

There are 9 levels to choose from it was on the the last USDAw update they look at disciplinary record whether anyone has a live warning ,what you can offer the company regards level of experience ,can you hand mould,sickness record ,and other things like these.hope this helps.

Hand Made

I'm a baker in a store where we're still doing all white from scratch, browns moving to part bake. I've been told that the bakery operating hours are going to be 3am-6pm. I know they want a baker to start at 3am, but other then that we've been told no other shifts. The 5-1 shift that has been suggested on here, is that in a store like mine or a full part bake store? Also is that going to be for a baker or a packer?

Baker1

An update came earlier in the week, the 3am is now an unskilled shift, the baker start time is advised as 8am

Paulie

Unskilled at 3am, skilled at 8am. Who does the actual baking?

Baker1

The unskilled person bakes off everything, slow, pastries, part bake. Then later on packs. Its a massive job. The baker starts at 8 and makes roll for the day, then has to pack it later.

Paulie

What about white bread?

Baker1

Yeah all slow french and white bread as well

cheesy cob

Must be a skill baking white bread and sticks

Hand Made

The conversation we had yesterday, it was hinted to us that the skilled jobs would be 3am starts. We were asked if the availability forms we submitted were actually the best we could do. From the conversation we’ve had as bakers, none of us have put 3am down as the earliest we could start.

Baker1961

Quote from: Hammer10 on 26-03-20, 03:29PM
You should be able to do aspects of the bakery ,this is the trouble many have been been stuck doing the same for years and no one likes change if you want a job you need to suck it up I know it’s harsh but the way things are now there won’t be many jobs out there for some time.

I have been packing between ovens for years quicker then the paid packer I can do every job in the bakery so this will not be anything different for me and help the production baker when I am not doing production actualy sounds easier job for me

BakerBum

Quote from: Baker1 on 28-03-20, 10:57AM
The unskilled person bakes off everything, slow, pastries, part bake. Then later on packs. Its a massive job. The baker starts at 8 and makes roll for the day, then has to pack it later.

i think your wrong .. as i have the form in front of me and it says colleague 1, colleague 2 and pm colleague... the first two are skill bakers .. one to bake morning bread and french and pack everything.... and the other baker makes, retar.d, bread, french and makes and packs fresh roll .. pm colleague trays up frozen and packs cookies.. and everyone does a bit of slicing

Hand Made

Do they have start times for Colleague 1 & 2 on the form? I assume colleague 1 starts at 3am

polar

:( not looking good, if that's the case. Only hope is no f/t hours.

kaled78

they can job match you and take hours off you as well,they just offer you protected pay for a while,that's what they did with some stock control/counters staff last time round

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk