Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 07:37AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 426
Total: 430

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me2015

dotnochance

The amount of lies being told by management is unbelievable....
Store manager did a team 5 with everyone and he said he's checked about and found staff in other stores and hasn't heard of any problems with the pay rise from staff he said it's just our store that's not happy with it! And there's not a problem, and not to worry about it

trolleyboy96

In my store, no one has opted out, a couple of managers have as the head count is reducing rapidly and it's more placements than managers, and the sm quoted everyone will have to do it so they opted out and to be honest why not.

Some of the staff have queried said its unfair but they need whatever overtime they need so will take it even at single time, so it's business as usual.

We all agree it's not right or fair or transparent...

TillyTuttles

The legality of a pay cut/reduction - however you want to word it - those of us that are worse off!
I also wonder,for those in the union, how many would Sunday workers affected would support strike action?  An old fashioned approach and you usually have the union with you but how bad would it look on the union if we called for it?  I know my store would be hard pushed to get cover on a Sunday if we all walked out - especially now pay is down to time and a quarter - which other members of staff are going to cover? 🤣 It would hit our store massively as it's the biggest earning day!

forrestgimp

If called I would strike without a moments hesitation. I fear there are few of us who think like that though.

Loki

Usdaw wouldn't back it simply because they endorsed the damn stitch up to begin with
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Helpisontheway

Today train drivers on northern rail made themselves unavailable for work. Up to 80% of staff had the day off, maybe this is the way to deal with the present situation.

JL

Helpisontheway

An unofficial strike now and then would be good.

There would certainly be a case to present to mr Lewis and co if every second collegue was on a final warning for attendance.

Even turn in and have a work slow down. Boring as f*** but maybe they would start to see the bigger picture of annoying minions. Our TMs would support. 

TillyTuttles

I know Usdaw wouldn't back it but it might be the frightener they need for going along with it in the first place. I think it would shock Tesco and the public - I mean when did supermarket employees last strike? Never? The bad PR the company would get - especially with their share price on the up.  Bad for business if we even talk about doing such a thing and surely Mr Lewis would want to try and protect that?  If there are people out there that might support it then I think it's worth taking to Usdaw for discussion and we're within our rights, as union and non-union members, to ask for a ballot.

Loki

Quote from: GreenGrocer on 05-08-18, 09:14PM
Helpisontheway

An unofficial strike now and then would be good.

There would certainly be a case to present to mr Lewis and co if every second collegue was on a final warning for attendance.

Even turn in and have a work slow down. Boring as f*** but maybe they would start to see the bigger picture of annoying minions. Our TMs would support. 

Unofficial Industrial action would lead to dismissal let alone a final written.

TillyTuttles

Non union members wouldn't be balloted

TillyTuttles

I know it's got to be official and through a ballot by the union for union members but if successful then  both union and non-union can then join in the industrial action without repercussion.  Or if there is repercussion then can be taken as unfair dismissal.

Just thought I'd throw it into the ring to try and get this thing moving, or at least worrying the higher management, sooner rather than later .

JL

Worrying the higher management  :D

They are struggling to retain staff in many store and they think they can create Jacks. How about sorting out the fine mess of Tesco first.

The recruitment in my store is add your name to the list via the Tesco careers then wait on a phone call with your start date. Everyone is welcome.

Loki

The Union won't provide a ballot over Industrial action regarding a pay deal they already endorsed and agreed irrespective of who shouts what.

That's the harsh reality.

Duracell

As Loki suggests there isn't much scope to officially challenge the negative impact of the pay deal as it was endorsed by the current pay review structure, T and USDAW being happy to point that out.
I would be more inclined to call for a review and changes to that structure to avoid such negative impacts happening in the future. Having said that the call for a review would have to have significant interest and support to be taken seriously.

Not sure of the detail of your pay deal.
How many are currently negatively impacted?
What remains of Sunday premiums and other enhanced rates? If taken in the future how many staff would be negatively affected?

I think these details, what is left, the potential for the current structure to reduce even further and how many people would be affected with further reductions, are the details which need to be realised to gain momentum and support to call for a review of the current pay review structure.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

cityboy

Another pay-cut by stealth is the night premium. When it was announced that the night premium would only rise in the future as dictated by "market forces", rather than the same percentage as the hourly rate, it meant a pay-cut to those who work the anti-social, unhealthy hours most reject. We all know that market forces is corporate speak that means not in the foreseeable future. E.g., hourly pay £8.00ph,£2.00 night premium, 25%. £10.00ph,£2.00 night premium, 20%. I work nights and weekends, no pay-rise for a few years,with double-time taken, time and a half taken, night premium frozen, so I love hearing the 10.5% rubbish.... no morals, no social responsibility, I am now ashamed, where once was proud to work for this company. Thanks go out to Dave Lewis and USDAW. 

Loki

The basic hourly rate may have gone up by 10.57% for everyone, but overall pay rise for weekend and night workers is far less than those who work days.

Misleading with the cushion payment.

No recognition as they so often boast about.

Paulie

It won't be long before everyone will be on same pay whatever shift you do nights/days/weekends. I just seen job advertised on gov jobs for £7.83 an hour for 1am-10am  which include weekends(no premiums).

Tesco are spoilt by the massive amount of labour out there looking for work.

notsofunny

Its not just Tesco that is taking advantage then ? since you say others are paying no premium for night work at all ,

Is it more of Tesco having to follow the pack , than lead them ?

Everyone in Work wants a higher pay pack , and everyone that buys from them wants a lower price ,

JL

Tesco no longer offers competitive wages as they once did. There is such a selection of labour the warehouse in our place is overflowing every night. Some nights top shelf's and back stock don't even get worked let alone delivery. People leave all the time some jobs to go to and others none and few come to replace them. Management don't try hard enough with Rotas. Sometimes every aisle has someone. Then the next night it is team fill after team fill. Managers are constantly filling but a lot of them are managers now due to medical issues which mean they are slow at filling.

notsofunny

I hear this from some , yet wonder if warehouses are over flowing and delivery's are not getting worked then how can stores still get stocked and what do you do with stock that keeps coming in ? all the stores I go to look great and I shop after 7pm avalibilty has never been so good , I always have no problem at tills , unless its past 12 midnight when self serv is the only way ,

And Express and metro w/houses I get to see are near empty with all stock worked every day staffing levels are better than they have been for years , so I can say is that some stores like yours must have major problems that are outside the norm , as it stands If I was in your shoes I would get out and find someone that pays you more than what you are getting paid  ,

Braeboy

Does anyome know how and when this payout is made? Eg wages or cheque.
Apparently i am the only one in  my store getting it, but I've not been told anything as im on a lifestyle break.
Thanks

bugsbunny

If you were going to get it you would most definitely have known about it by now.you would have had the money in end of July pay.

monsterandmadman

Just spotted this on my local rags website!

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/unite-holds-talks-sainsburys-over-15000093

Seems Sainsbury's employees may be in the same boat as us, yet the union seems to want to help them. Hmmmm....

his scots tie

Wouldnt say exactly tha same boat as us.£9.20 an hour from sept as opposed to toscos £8.42 from nov.Even sunday workers will be getting more than tosco at time and quarter.Yet staff want to reject it which just shows how poor a pay deal Tesco and Usdaw have agreed for there staff and members.One thing though UNITE do seem to want to help.Time for a change in union i reckon.

Loki

Unless I've got this wrong, please correct me if I have, but it seems that there are 2 recognised Unions at Sainsbury's.  Unite with approximately 11,000 members and Usdaw with a far larger majority.

Unite opposing the new contracts with Usdaw endorsing them.

Again, please correct me if I have this wrong. If this is true, then it's very interesting indeed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk