Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 07:54AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 424
Total: 428

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plato

Unfortunately the balancing  out does not occur until November, when the next payrise cuts in. All Sunday contracted and overtime staff are in the same position. Poor communication led those affected by the premium reduction to believe they all would receive a cushion payment. Very few did.

barafear

in further response to Buddha:

"new Contract" - is this using the rate of pay you will be getting from Nov 2018 (as previous poster mentioned above)?

Also, it's not quite as simple as "contracted pay" - Tesco actually compare what hours you worked during the reference period (Nov 2016-Nov 2017) - so if you worked any overtime/additional hours during that year, Tesco will assume you'll do the same in the period Nov 2018-Nov 2019.

mexicopete

@Plato affects me to the tune of around £42 every 4 weeks and by my calculations I will still be well out of pocket after the next pay increase in November..... no cushion payment for me by the way. :'( :'( :'( @ barafear whatever way you look at this it's a disgrace that anyone can be worse off after all of the pay increases come into effect. >:( >:( >:(
The worlds me lobster

his scots tie

Quote from: Buddha on 13-08-18, 03:50PM
I've actually lost money because of this, however, I wasn't given any payout.
'
my old contract was £244 a week.
my new contract is £236 a week.

should I contact the Union? I brought it up with my manager but he says it will 'balance out' it clearly isn't balanced because I'm down £8.

any advice?

Thanks.
Think your managers wrong, it wont balance itself out.  You are £32 per month down for five months until Novembers pay rise.  I'm about £45  down till Nov, then I will be earning £1 per month more in Nov 18 than Nov 17, as for USDAW my advice would be give them a call ....and cancel your membership.

Buddha

Thanks for the replies guys.

surely there's got to be something we can do in regards to loss of earnings.
I'm going to try and touch base with USDAW tomorrow and see what they've got to say. if all else fails I'll put it in writing to the company. 

My manager even has the cheek to call me a 'money grabber'  :D

his scots tie

Not a lot you can do, it's a legal pay rise.  Your hourly rate is going up, what's changing are your premiums and you have agreed for these to change through collective bargaining with usdaw.  It's the way it has been done very clever not to give majority a pay out because earning more than previous year, in most cases very little more.  It just shows how tesco value there staff.  If everyone affected dropped membership to usdaw it would give them something to think about.

bugsbunny

Has anyone been told about the pension closed 3yrs ago paying less out to people who take it early. Starting November 2018. Than people who have already taken it early? Yet again affecting long serving staff, very few people seem to be aware of this change

terra

When the company announced that they were closing the defined benefit pension scheme the union negotiated a deal for those close to retirement that was anyone who took their pension within 3 years of the closure would not see any additional reduction in their pension. That deal expires in Nov of this year.

Pfs girly

Good ole tesco ..Does anyone know how much difference this will make as hoping to take mine in the next 2years

Charlie Harper

Quote from: his scots tie on 13-08-18, 06:01PM
'

should I contact the Union? I brought it up with my manager but he says it will 'balance out' it clearly isn't balanced because I'm down £8.

any advice?

Thanks.
Think your managers wrong, it wont balance itself out.  You are £32 per month down for five months until Novembers pay rise.  I'm about £45  down till Nov, then I will be earning £1 per month more in Nov 18 than Nov 17, as for USDAW my advice would be give them a call ....and cancel your membership.

As said here, the strongest action you can take is to quit USDAW. I have. I'm not sure it can change too much this time around, but when premium time & a quarter gets cut to time (and it will) the union may then actually think twice about what it will agree to.

barafear

Unfortunately, what scots tie said is pretty much the truth of the matter.
As for the legality - as far as I know companies can vary your t&C with your permission - and as we're in a collective bargaining position, it's effectively with the permission of USDAW.
What can you do? Join the Leigh Day legal fight or take it to tribunal yourself - but it's very much the big corporation versus the small guy in the street.

There's not really much new to say on the subject. And if you had had the implications of the deal explained in full when it was originally proposed (think it was leaked in Feb of last year) then at least that would have given you the further option of adjusting your budgeting or finding another job.

I don't mean to be blunt - but unfortunately that is the way Tesco or most other companies (and legally) will view it.

I don't know about USdaw membership - but as someone else said - anyone that's getting a 10.5% pay rise probably thinks Usdaw are wonderful - regardless of the fact that the NLW would have forced Tesco to give us a pay rise.

Unfortunately the majority rules - and even if it's way more than 3% of people who are "not 10.5% better off" - it's still likely to be a minority.

Unfortunately it comes down to supply and demand - are you so valuable to Tesco that they couldn't afford to lose you and replace you with someone more flexible? (i.e. on a flexi contract)

JL

Quote from: Charlie Harper on 13-08-18, 10:30PM
Quote from: his scots tie on 13-08-18, 06:01PM
'

any advice?

Thanks.

As said here, the strongest action you can take is to quit USDAW. I have. I'm not sure it can change too much this time around, but when premium time & a quarter gets cut to time (and it will) the union may then actually think twice about what it will agree to.

Strongest action just leave Tesco at first chance. 

RAFCOL

I used to like this site , but it's just turned out to be lots of people bitching , blame Usdaw , blame Usdaw , leave Usdaw leave your job , ffs grow a pair and stand up for yourselves instead of being keyboard warriors !!!! If you all had big enough balls in real life we wouldn't be in such a mess , but oh know I'll hide behind a keyboard and computer screen and put the world to rights #getagrip

fatboy

RAFCOL..... Think you've come to the wrong place dude.

Preacherpauly

'

any advice?

Thanks.

HAHAHAHAHA

Life after tossco

Quote from: RAFCOL on 14-08-18, 02:34PM
I used to like this site , but it's just turned out to be lots of people bitching , blame Usdaw , blame Usdaw , leave Usdaw leave your job , ffs grow a pair and stand up for yourselves instead of being keyboard warriors !!!! If you all had big enough balls in real life we wouldn't be in such a mess , but oh know I'll hide behind a keyboard and computer screen and put the world to rights #getagrip

RAFCOL  I think you work for USDAW! you keyboard warrior!

Nightworker23

Why do people always say, "if you don't like it, get another job" etc?
For many of the older staff members who've worked for Tesco for 20 or 30 years plus, it's not that easy. No experience in other industries, or not having youth on their side.
Why should they be forced to leave? They've been loyal over many years, built the company to what it was before greedy, dishonest directors did all the damage. They stayed for the good pay rates, premiums and excellent pension........all now gone!
Many believed Tesco to be a job for life, and this is the thanks they get.

So yes Rafcol, people are moaning on here, and rightly so.
If you don't like or agree with what you read, then I would suggest you stop reading.... Simple.

cosmosmallpiece

Loki

This site was kindly made to help Tesco employees with the many problems most of us experience at some point during our employment with Tesco. Of course there is going to be lots of debate surrounding controversial issues such as the current pay deal.

VLH is a place where employees can express their concerns, ask questions or even rant with their anonymity remaining intact.  I for one am grateful to Nomad and his team AND the many who have helped others through the forums. The site remains as informative as it ever was in its beginnings.

If you are not happy with people complaining about a company that has not treated its employees fairly nor indeed a Union that has failed its members, then jog on. The likes of you who contribute so little won't be missed my friend.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

bugsbunny

cosmosmallpiece

JL

Sums up the majority at Tesco griping like f*** yet can't be arsed putting any effort into getting a new job. Why :question: because other employers wouldn't accept them doing f*** all and the conduct they display on a daily basis. Those at the top are too busy creaming off minions and shagging each other off.

OvaSees

Quote from: Nightworker23 on 14-08-18, 05:32PMWhy do people always say, "if you don't like it, get another job" etc?
Because you are at Tesco, and remain at Tesco, entirely by choice? At some point in history you entered into a voluntary agreement with Tesco to offer your labour in return for it's terms and conditions. Over time, those terms and conditions, the culture and the working environment have changed countless times under the watch of your trade union that exists to protect your interests - and you continued to choose to stay. So when asked the question 'why don't you leave' perhaps you should consider the reflective - 'why do you choose you stay despite all the changes?'

Quote from: Nightworker23 on 14-08-18, 05:32PMWhy should they be forced to leave? They've been loyal over many years, built the company to what it was before greedy, dishonest directors did all the damage. They stayed for the good pay rates, premiums and excellent pension........all now gone!
Many believed Tesco to be a job for life, and this is the thanks they get.
Ask those petrified corpses in Pompeii who chose to build their homes at the base of a volcano if they ever expected it to erupt...

I concede - it may not be an option for some people such as yourself who remained static while the world around them changed but it is still a choice to remain and thus subject yourself to more change. But the moral lesson of Tesco's history is that you can't expect things to remain the same because it suits you.

Paulie

One thing not staying the same is Dave Lewis take home pay, up, up, up and away.

Mr Grumpy

Quote from: Loki on 14-08-18, 07:50PM

This site was kindly made to help Tesco employees with the many problems most of us experience at some point during our employment with Tesco. Of course there is going to be lots of debate surrounding controversial issues such as the current pay deal.

VLH is a place where employees can express their concerns, ask questions or even rant with their anonymity remaining intact.  I for one am grateful to Nomad and his team AND the many who have helped others through the forums. The site remains as informative as it ever was in its beginnings.

If you are not happy with people complaining about a company that has not treated its employees fairly nor indeed a Union that has failed its members, then jog on. The likes of you who contribute so little won't be missed my friend.

This site over the years has proved invaluable when I worked for the big T. From ease of getting information in a few clicks, to the vast experience of some people on here who have helped when I have been in with a member whose been fighting for their job with the SM.

You take from this site what you want, personally it helped me immensely....  :thumbup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk