Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-10-17, 05:53AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7596
  • Latest: FF2017
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71768
  • Total Topics: 1564
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 69
Total: 71

Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 292110 times)

OpShunned

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: News Articles
« Reply #1175 on: 16-06-17, 07:13PM »
We've been seeing headlines lately highlighting Tosco's gimmicks which purportedly are rivalling Amazon's advances, so it made me chuckle that on the day of Drastic's AGM in London, Amazon hit the industry with today's 13  billion (and further) venture into retail. The Kno& will be gagging on his Tesco Thai Fishcake this evening.

Listen up Drastic, Amazon could pick you up and mop the floor with you if they wanted to  ???

Hell, they may even offer your mistress Booker shedloads more incentive to jump into bed with them instead of getting misled by you  >:D

« Last Edit: 16-06-17, 07:14PM by OpShunned »

JL

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1176 on: 16-06-17, 07:20PM »
As long as it is a "slow roll out" OpShunned  :)

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1177 on: 19-06-17, 11:49AM »
Shares just fell to 1.74 on back of amazon paying over 13 billion for whole foods.

The share price may have fallen due to the £8 million fine that Tesco received on Friday afternoon aswell

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1178 on: 19-06-17, 11:58AM »
Great, another fine, what next?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1179 on: 19-06-17, 12:19PM »
To be fair it was a fine relating to an incident nearly 3 years ago, but had only just gone through the court system.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1180 on: 19-06-17, 12:21PM »
Timeliness is regardless, that's £8 million worth of overtime gone through stupidity.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

whatever

« Reply #1181 on: 19-06-17, 03:52PM »
The share price went down due to Amazon declaring they want to purchase "Whole foods"
It shows that they want a presence on the high street which is ominous for Tesco's......

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #1182 on: 19-06-17, 04:14PM »
Actually the share price was in sharp decline all day from the very moment the stock market opened once these results were out, and by 10am (after just 2 hours of trading) Tesco had one of the biggest 5 drops on the FTSE. It was at 2pm, when Amazon's announcement went public, that it really fell off a cliff.

Before the Amazon announcement, Tesco had already lost 5%of it's value - see https://qell.co.uk/tesco-do-not-pass-go/ (source: Financial Times). Note that by comparison WalMart, the world's biggest grocery retailer and the one most likely to be affected by the Whole Foods deal (since Whole Foods is USA based and only has a handful of shops in the Souht over here), only dropped 5% in total on the day of the Amazon announcement.

So the share price drop was not just down to 'what Amazon are doing', there was more to it than that - the City was seeing through the spin of another set of results. If Tesco is using the Amazon announcement alone to explain it's decline in share price then it's simply trying to bury bad news, in the same way it neglected to point out that grocery market and price inflation of 2.9% since January has driven LfL sales of +2.3%.
« Last Edit: 19-06-17, 04:21PM by OvaSees »

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #1183 on: 19-06-17, 04:39PM »
Just to brighten the mood I thought I'd post the scenes from the board room following the results which explains everything;-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1owcncKCHg

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1184 on: 19-06-17, 05:53PM »
Ovasees nearly wet myself there  :D ;D

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1185 on: 19-06-17, 06:42PM »
I recognize a few of those faces from store visits that we have had in the past, just can't put names to them at the moment.
« Last Edit: 19-06-17, 06:43PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

OpShunned

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1186 on: 19-06-17, 07:25PM »
You remember Optout, they were the guys who put the Fresh and Easy roadmap together!

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #1187 on: 19-06-17, 08:57PM »
Hey OpShunned there is footage of that meeting too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQBYawJmNk

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1188 on: 19-06-17, 11:09PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

OpShunned

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1190 on: 20-06-17, 09:26PM »
Interesting strategy that is probably unique for a company that size?

I hope Drastic doesn't read it given that he's trying to eke out a paltry dividend to keep his major shareholders on board. If Amazon enter the GHS market and continue to make zero profit, but at the same time force the opposition to cut its margins it would be carnage for what would be small fry companies compared to the beast. Don't expect to see Aldi and Lidl entering the GHS market any time soon if Amazon are looming large?

Great analogy made somewhere comparing Amazon's threat to that of someone drinking a glass of water in the film Jurassic Park. The water starts to wobble, thunderous footsteps become audibly louder and louder as they approach. You know the monster is coming but you just don't know when, and from where it will appear  >:D

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #1191 on: 20-06-17, 11:34PM »
It's very interesting, Amazon's 'startup' type model delivers value to its investors by it's stock price growing over time in line with the growth of the company - if you bought shares in Amazon when it first offered them back in 2001, each share would have cost you $7.49. Today they closed at $995.17 - show me another company or investment opportunity that has grown in value by more than 13,200% over 16 years... that even makes property price rises look like peanuts.

Of course when you understand their model and how they work by carrying and generating little or no cash/profit on a quarterly basis, then you will join me in rolling your eyes when they are accused of paying no tax - tax on what? They make little or no profit to actually tax them on because they simply don't follow the capitalist model that we have become accustomed too for quite a long time. It's very clever, they keep their own money to reinvest and grow and it's the future. This is why you see a lot of vitriol (unfairly) thrown Amazon's way - because it's smarter than everybody else who can only watch in envy, shackled to outdated business models that they have become hopelessly dependent upon.
« Last Edit: 20-06-17, 11:44PM by OvaSees »

whatever

« Reply #1192 on: 21-06-17, 12:22PM »
There's a reason why morrisons shares are trading higher today than they were when this announcement about Amazon was made,  Morrisons have a deal to  supply groceries to Amazon customers in the UK already in place.....Could we see Amazon buying/partnering  Morrison's, it would make sense with morrison's bricks and mortar stores and Amazon's delivery network....It would give morrison's a massive edge over Tesco and Sainsbury in the home delivery market.

JL

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1193 on: 21-06-17, 01:53PM »
Simplifying our customer services operations
Wednesday 21st June, 2017
Send LikeYammer iconYam it! Comment
Dear colleagues,

Over the past couple of years we have been taking steps to transform our business and set up Tesco for the future.

Today we have announced plans to simplify our customer service centres by moving the operation into our existing site in Dundee and expanding our operations there. As part of the changes, we have taken the very difficult decision to close our Customer Engagement Centre (CEC) in Cardiff.

Bringing all customer services into one site will allow us to run our business in a more sustainable and cost-effective way while still delivering the high levels of service our customers expect.

These changes are about improving the way we operate and ensuring the best use of our existing sites.

We are proposing the closure of the CEC in Cardiff in February 2018.

We have been speaking to colleagues in Cardiff about what these changes will mean for them, and we will continue to do all we can to support them at this time.

Matt Davies
CEO UK and ROI

silver surfer

« Reply #1194 on: 21-06-17, 02:01PM »

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1195 on: 21-06-17, 04:08PM »
They could give each and everyone of the Cardiff colleagues £140k to relocate to Dundee. I'm sure I read somewhere that they had done this for one of their colleagues elsewhere. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

stockrotateman

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #1196 on: 21-06-17, 04:53PM »
 :thumbup:

Arizonarugby

• Know All
« Reply #1197 on: 21-06-17, 07:45PM »
“To help us achieve this, we’ve taken the difficult decision to close our customer service operations in Cardiff.

“We realise this will have a significant effect on colleagues in the Cardiff area, and our priority now is to continue to do all we can to support them at this time.”

Yet again another LIE by MtT, Tesco will do absolutely nothing to help support those effected by the announcement.

If they're lucky , they will be given a list of "opportunities " that they can apply for but have zero chance of getting or be able to afford to take i.e. a job 500 miles away with no relocation package and on less money .... in the words of morrisey " that joke isn't funny anymore "

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #1198 on: 21-06-17, 08:10PM »
Today we have announced plans to simplify our customer service centres by moving the operation into our existing site in Dundee and expanding our operations there. As part of the changes, we have taken the very difficult decision to close our Customer Engagement Centre (CEC) in Cardiff.
Can somebody point me to the announcement we made that said 'today we have announced plans to complicate our customer service centres by opening one in Cardiff'? I seem to have missed that one.

Oh wait... they were never complicated in the first place, this is just another job cull of a group of colleagues who probably applauded when Drastic arrived on the scene.

If they really want to simplify things by this logic they could shut down in India and simply have the jobs in one place. But that wouldn't be cheaper would it?

Has Matt ever been to visit the Cardiff CEC and talked with the colleagues there to, you know, reconcile this 'difficult decision' in his mind? And whilst he's referring to the 'Tesco for the future' when will he tell us all exactly what that future looks like and when it will arrive, i.e. what his plan is?

These people make me sick, sick of hearing about 'difficult decisions', closures, job losses and redundancies whilst they claim £140k to move down the road.

</rant>

Truthof theMatter

« Reply #1199 on: 21-06-17, 08:27PM »
Well I am now looking forward to how devious a company Tosco is !
Yes I am one looking at a demise in Feb :P
It is all something of a farce.
The more clued up knew something was afoot it didn't need rumors so the only shock is in my opinion those that say they are shocked!
The lease of the building was up in Jan 2020 and the rent was and easily found on line just short of a million a year.
No consultation as of yet , no official warnings just the odd things and comments hidden in plain sight for the more savvy of us to recognize.
I wouldn't trust this shower as far as I could throw them.
It wouldn't surprise me if the building has been purchased for the online available offers starting at 8.8million............has some entity given them a sweetener to vacate early and release them from 2 years of the lease? It wouldn't surprise me in the least!