Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:34PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 270
Total: 274

Health and Safety (is it taken seriously within tesco)

Started by optout, 01-10-17, 12:11AM

Previous topic - Next topic

optout

Please give your examples of where Health and Safety has been taken seriously or completely ignored.

.....and of course your general experiences and opinions.

:thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Trolleywally

Health and safety was always taken seriously at my store as we had reps for each dept,a union rep and a first aider rep with the store manager attending as we met once a month with a pre agenda meeting usually 2 weeks before but was disbanded when the store,regional and national forum was set up as it incorporated health and safety.I was a dept rep for a while and then a first aider rep when I qualified as a first aider as also the union rep and a dept rep did a walk around a few days before the pre agenda meeting and cards that staff could fill in that were read out at the monthly meeting and from that things we're done  by passing to the dept manager and the dept rep would act on it as the store manager would have ultimate responsibility.Of course expect things are done differently now as I am retired now.

OvaSees

Yes, Health & Safety is taken seriously in the sense that there are lots of policies, audits, processes and bureaucracy surrounding it. Whether or not anything actually happens about Health & Safety is another thing altogether.

Health & Safety is another classic example of life at Tesco - it's been relegated to something that gets talked about a lot, generates a lot of meetings with a lot of next steps, has a lot of forms and tracking mechanisms to complete but nothing actually happens because there's no people or money left to actually do anything about it. It's evident enough that H&S infractions seem to occur regularly and Tesco's respose is always reactive to it, as seen at http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15230.msg203469#msg203469

blutopia

I can't give examples of the many health and safety issues that have occurred in my store as it would identify me.  The ONLY part of H&S that Tesco treats seriously is to do the online Safe & Legal training so that they can claim due diligence if an incident happens - as ever with Tesco, management just doing enough to cover their ar$es!

captain

All health and safety issues get reported, and that seems to be it for at least 3 weeks, they seem to join a long list of issues.
The only exception is when an accident occurs then gets rectified within 24 hours to conceal the problem.

Equalizer87

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

blutopia

A previous store I worked in had the same problem, although to be fair not quite so many buckets, but the roof was never repaired during the 5 years I was there!

minion

I was in the office with the sm whos office overlooks the back yard and the backdoor man was moonwalking past the window which seemed to be comedy gold judging by his laughter. He didnt seem to notice the lack of a high viz... or the lorry doing a 3 point turn in the very tight space.

Tornado

Quote from: blutopia on 01-10-17, 10:36AM
I can't give examples of the many health and safety issues that have occurred in my store as it would identify me.  The ONLY part of H&S that Tesco treats seriously is to do the online Safe & Legal training so that they can claim due diligence if an incident happens - as ever with Tesco, management just doing enough to cover their ar$es!
I have the same problem as if I was to expose what I have been allowed to observe and knowing at same time it would be like being a kamikaze.  Tesco can not trust management on application of Rules & Regulations. It is a fact. The level of corruption and anarchy like it is the proof that if they do not make a real transformation inside the system the absurd reality and deterioration we are living nowadays it will keep coming for worse. How do Tesco know that any Tesco employee has received his/her training and are fully aware of his/her functions and duties? I am not and I do not already know what to do or who I should contact to ask for help.

We have online WMTY which in my opinion is a JOKE and helps to increase the level of HARASSMENT and  deterioration of many colleague's lives but it's an example why they do not use online to inquire every one about what's his/her situation and knowledge and then making an inquiry about information & results they have got to take an action ? Why does not exist online a Training Manual ( as the one each department receives where managers have to give  :D through it the information & training to everyone ) where everyone may ''be able to see whether they have received all they need to know or not and then to report if there is irregularities ?

Everyone who is depending of something from someone responsible it should be aware of what he/she have to receive not what many times is said : " I am the manager I do what I want ".
Tesco, in my opinion, should have a centralized department to any rising enquiries or doubts from any employee to give them the answer they are looking for if they can not receive from the one or ones who are responsible for.
Just my opinion.

Trolleywally

Quote from: blutopia on 01-10-17, 10:36AM
It would not worry me about being identified now as what can they do to me IE: cannot sack/dismiss me as I am retired.

FatFraz

Trolleywally

By who don't care you mean the Management!As I am not worried as what can they do to me being retired.

alf

Trolleywally

Yes I am retired as are you trying to be funny as I am retired after 35 years employment/service/experience with Tesco as I am in interested in what's happing at Tesco that's why I joined Very Little Helps and became a supporter.I joined Tesco Retired Staff Assocation or it is now called Tesco Retired colleagues but fell out with them as found that there was a them and us IE Management and staff attitude as feel we just retired Staff getting together to attend meetings together,go on holidays and trips.So I feel that you are also taking the mickey.I am not Management but was a Team Leader for two years when Tesco decided to put Trolleys,checkouts and TKL together as one department so I stepped down and became a Customer Assistant:Trolleys.Also I don't have to jusify myself to you or anybody.So hope this clarifies things for you.

alf

Yes, I was trying to be funny.

The way you brought up your retirement status in quick succession, with no prompt or relevance struck me as odd, hence my jesty comment.

No real harm intended, enjoy retirement.

Trolleywally

[gmod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/gmod]
Thanks I am enjoying my retirement from all the idiots at Tesco.

southernsofty

Under legal age member of staff using meat slicer, knives on meat and fish, cleaning chicken ovens, etc.

Not supposed to, but they do when there are staff shortages

Wearethehearts

protector line was called in my store because its so bad and just accepted,they  came mid afternoon and while the group health and safety person signed in and awaited the sm to go meet her , every manager was told to sort everything and if anything was found amiss on her walk round, he would manage them through audit governance.

So we got a Good visit , nothing found but fire exits still getting blocked etc now as before

lackofinterest

the only time health and safety is taken seriously is when theres an audit. i wish they would come unannounced

forrestgimp

In the last 4 months we have had 2 people sacked for breaches of health and safety and 2 others with written warnings all for different offences.

It seems on the surface that we take it very seriously doesn't it.  However the people who got sacked were disliked by the SM and if he dislikes you you know about it.  The other 2 did things that have been done over the years by management and has been done by GAs at the behest of management and will no doubt continue to be done.

Then there are the health and safety rules the management ignore because its inconvenient like safety shoes being warn by the trolley person, It doesn't seem to matter when the trolley person is not at work they grab any able bodied person man or woman there is no sexism here and tell them to do it, Oh they have to wear a hi vis but shoes Nah that's not important.  Of course we old timers who are not petrified of the jumped up bells just say Nah not doing it without the correct PPE which leaves them with a sour taste.

Then there are the fire escape routes with 'KEEP CLEAR' signs every meter or so, You know the over spill warehouse... The capping shelves the ones you are not supposed to use unless you use the blue stairs thing, LOl never seen that used yet and it can be nights filling it we don't have one any more.

Pulling cages and cages being puled one at a time is a complete joke it simply never happens except by a minority of GAs. LMs and the newer CAs the gullible ones have 2 pulling them like a train at breakneck speed smashing through the double doors to the back like they are in a wild west saloon.

So no I don't think Health and Safety is taken seriously at all except when

• When we have an audit that they know is coming

• When its not too inconvenient

• When they want to get rid of an employee they don't like

All of these things happen daily (except the sacking obviously)

One last thing which is pertinent, The fire works system, only so much at a time no open boxes only a certain weight of explosives, It all works until it gets busy or they used the overtime money for something else then its 'Oh get so and so to go fetch some from the container and they can sell them'....... Training LMAO what training? it consists of having the book shoved under your nose by a disinterested LM who signs you off 2  minutes later and makes you sign your training records so they can pass the buck if anything goes wrong....

Redshoes

Some stores now do the legal training online. It's hard as the systems are so slow so takes a long time to complete. Very hard for the bigger Depts.

JL

Take your time reading and answering the questions if you get the chance. But no doubt the LM will tell someone who is meant to be getting trained as well to read out answers. Then you will be back on the shop floor quicker. H&S regard my arse!

londoner83

It always amazes me with fireworks that we have all these rules yet they turn up in all manner of delivery vans with no fire extinguisher or flammable warning signs in sight. Last year even had 1 lot dropped off by someone smoking...

cbhubby

In my store if a GA is tipping a wagon without steel toecaps and a hi-vis on they get told to sort it or bollocked, if your the store manager or a manager though, its ok.
In my experience when there is an audit coming thats when the training is gotten up to date or people are reminded about health and safety, otherwise its heads in the sand and lets get the shop filled.

JL

In my store anyone can be working at the backdoor.

Unless your contract says you are backdoor safety boot orders are declined.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk