Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-02-18, 10:02PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 76912
  • Total Topics: 1658
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Night Closure Discussion  (Read 63999 times)

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
Re: Night Closure Discussion
« Reply #175 on: 09-06-17, 01:03AM »
Just last week our SM told them they're safe and it wont happen. Couldnt make it up.

I genuinely hate to say 'I told you so', but...
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15947.msg196193#msg196193

SMs saying their night teams are safe have their heads buried in the sand.

Terrahawk2016

« Reply #176 on: 09-06-17, 02:49AM »
Just last week our SM told them they're safe and it wont happen. Couldnt make it up.

I genuinely hate to say 'I told you so', but...
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15947.msg196193#msg196193

SMs saying their night teams are safe have their heads buried in the sand.

Had the same in the store I used to work in, she told me that we wouldn't go twilight because her boss told her that we wouldn't then tried to feed me bs about congestion & being a high footfall store blah blah blah They are now in consultation to lose their nightshift just now! Sm are either deluded or have their heads so far up someone's ass they can't see what's unfolding in front of them! In just glad I no longer work for tesco anymore

OpShunned

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #177 on: 09-06-17, 07:26AM »
These are the very store managers who are trousering between 30-45% bonus?

Do you really expect them to tell you the truth so that you can waltz off down the road or down tools and say f=&& you?

Nothing is 'off the table' at Drastic's desk. He wants a new pliable,flexible and expendable workforce. Where do the longer serving staff fit in with his plans?

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #178 on: 09-06-17, 10:06AM »
Where do the longer serving staff fit in with his plans?
They don't fit. From a structural standpoint, longer serving staff at Tesco are invariably also the most expensive due to their entitlements to certain premiums, being the beneficiaries of historical pay deals, exemption from aspects of multiskilling, pension, holiday and sick entitlements etc etc. It's practically inverted age discrimination, what sticks in the throat is that those people have earned what they have by remaining blindly loyal to a business and simply doing what was asked of them in the past - no matter the circumstances.

Tesco has always claimed to have 'great leadership' but look at where that's led it's people. As the current state of affairs demonstrates, you can be as loyal as you like to Tesco but in the long term it is not loyal to you.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #179 on: 15-06-17, 01:59PM »
"Our Holyhead Extra will cease 24-hour operation from Monday, July 24."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/tesco-drop-24-hour-opening-13180545

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #180 on: 17-06-17, 05:21AM »
For the third time this week I have had a good look at the jobs on offer to us when our night shift goes in July and I still can't believe the dross that's available. We have a room set up with all the jobs up on the wall and my colleagues and I have been in and out all week hoping something changes. Most is 28 hrs but with every Thursday, Friday , Sat*rday midnight finish. There's 19 hrs,16 hrs,14hrs, 11hrs even 6 and a half hours it is depressing viewing. Dave Lewis you should hang your head in shame. I've seen some broken men and women the past couple of weeks trying to put a brave face on and still do a good job. I feel like going home right now and f##k the rest of the shift  :'(

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #181 on: 17-06-17, 09:18AM »
The low hours contracts on offer just prove that the only way this company is making money is to slash hours and overwork the staff. This is the brutal truth of it all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #182 on: 17-06-17, 11:21AM »
For the third time this week I have had a good look at the jobs on offer to us when our night shift goes in July and I still can't believe the dross that's available. We have a room set up with all the jobs up on the wall and my colleagues and I have been in and out all week hoping something changes. Most is 28 hrs but with every Thursday, Friday , Sat*rday midnight finish. There's 19 hrs,16 hrs,14hrs, 11hrs even 6 and a half hours it is depressing viewing. Dave Lewis you should hang your head in shame. I've seen some broken men and women the past couple of weeks trying to put a brave face on and still do a good job. I feel like going home right now and f##k the rest of the shift  :'(
Sad times for you  :'(

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #183 on: 17-06-17, 01:32PM »
People cannot pay their mortgage on so little hours do the idiots in the Ivory towers want their staff sleeping on the streets.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #184 on: 17-06-17, 02:26PM »
The Ivory towers do not care if  you lived in the bins outside the store, they just want you to come in for the meagre hours they will offer and hope you grovel for overtime. This is  Tesco 's brave new world.
« Last Edit: 17-06-17, 02:28PM by Equalizer87 »
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #185 on: 17-06-17, 02:26PM »
Staff will constantly jump ship chasing better hours and salary wasting alot of time and money.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #186 on: 17-06-17, 02:43PM »
Even the Ivory towers are dictated to by those who live on cloud 9!

The sad truth is this is the future of retail, regardless of the company :(

Tesco are not on their own in making these cuts, perhaps it's because they prided themselves on being the better employer in years gone by, regarding privilidges, pay, holidays etc....that now they are bringing their practices in line with others, it is a bigger blow for their loyal and long serving staff :(

There are retail companies out there who don't have the benefits we still have (just). Personal day, building 6 weeks holiday, bank holiday credit days, slightly higher wage, canteen facilities ( on the agenda) premium rates, first day sick pay.

Yes they will all go eventually, but that will only make them the same as every other British retail employer. It's Tesco's lack of transparency and honesty that lets it's workforce down!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #187 on: 17-06-17, 03:34PM »
I don't think anyone is disputing the harsh reality of modern retail but how can you throw over inflated bonuses,  relocation packages at the top table yet the front line get sc**ps at best, then expect 100% drive and morale from them. It doesn't work.

Yes, transparency is a big issue and the lack of it breeds mistrust between all areas of the company which can only be very unhealthy.

But to believe that they will keep the premiums til the end is naive. They  cut premiums last year and will probably hit them again this year as it the easiest option, the future will very likely  be hours per head and reducing them before 2020.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #188 on: 17-06-17, 07:46PM »
Equalizer87

I didn't say I believed they would keep the premiums to the end ???

The redundancies of a lot of CA's, being team leaders, night crews etc. has had a knock on effect for management. They are now facing reality, that fewer staff need fewer managers. So the bell tolls for PM's and CM's.

Overinflated bonus' make me sick to the core, drastics subsidised move makes me sick to the core, hairnett's salary make me sick to the core, but it's not unique to Tesco. In a few years time, people will be reminiscing with....remember when everybody worked full time  :'( :'(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

cityboy

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #189 on: 17-06-17, 08:47PM »
If you work full-time, fixed contract, do you think Tesco can do anything to make you go flexi-contract with less guaranteed hours? This is my fear for the future of all Tesco workers, no matter length of service.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #190 on: 17-06-17, 08:57PM »
If you work full-time, fixed contract, do you think Tesco can do anything to make you go flexi-contract with less guaranteed hours? This is my fear for the future of all Tesco workers, no matter length of service.

Was talking about this the other day. My night manager on fresh can't get most of his workers to do any OT so the 3 people on flexi have to pick up almost of the shifts they need covered. The problem is people dont want to give up there weekends to work the nights needed and half the team get tax credits so wont work over 3 nights.

I believe they would lose a lot of staff if they tried to go all flexi contracts with 1-2 days as fixed hours. The managers would take the p**s out of there best staff as they wouldnt get the slow workers in.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #191 on: 17-06-17, 09:02PM »
Full time, fixed hours contracts are well and truly in the sights of Drastic, the only question is when.

Lucego

I was not referring to you directly, but the general concensus of some here that believe the premiums will be "safe" . Nothing in Tesco is now safe and the fact that premiums were lost last year for a 24p rise can only imply that they are first choice for cutting to implement the payrise in future.
« Last Edit: 17-06-17, 09:04PM by Equalizer87 »

Tom Hardy

• Know All
« Reply #192 on: 17-06-17, 09:22PM »
They got rid of Premium one so they wouldn't have to pay these now moving to twilights. The Premium two will just be gone once nights have all gone.

cityboy

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #193 on: 17-06-17, 09:25PM »
How could Tesco include a loss of fixed hours contracts into a "wage deal"? Sorry, I forgot, the union partnership!

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #194 on: 18-06-17, 09:57AM »
No they couldn't, lol who told you that.

They might go down the morrisons route of saying if we accept the pay deal we have to change to a flexi contract but I for one wouldn't.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #195 on: 18-06-17, 10:30AM »

The redundancies of a lot of CA's, being team leaders, night crews etc. has had a knock on effect for management. They are now facing reality, that fewer staff need fewer managers. So the bell tolls for PM's and CM's.

We actually have more staff since going twilight, just on smaller contracts - flexi and a higher turnover, for the last 10 years very few of the team have left, since we went twilight in Nov, 8 managers gone of there choice as twilight not for them, the original night team they all left, the first wave of twilight team the last of the team left yesterday, I think we are on our third twilight team it's a nightmare for pm and wages they keep recruiting but once in some of think they can move to day hours after a few months get refused due to recruits for twilight then they leave, it's a merry go round. Shop gets better, they leave shops s*** again!

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #196 on: 18-06-17, 11:30AM »
It must be costing the company a fortune keep losing staff and then recruiting more,wasting everyone's time on every dept ,wages ,training ,uniform,buddies,and other areas.

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #197 on: 18-06-17, 11:50AM »
The cost to the company is really trivial compared with the cost of keeping long term fixed contract people on ,this currant model of flexi low hour contracts appears good on paper but is it sustainable we have all been in the shops and other service providers where you are rarely served by the same member of staff, and surely the long serving staff are more loyal and more likely to be pro the company.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #198 on: 18-06-17, 04:21PM »
Chris9997

I totally agree it's an unsustainable model, but as you say it looks great on paper ( especially with the wage bill reductions it entails). This is the reality, they will keep cutting to attain this target of £1.5 billion worth of savings, whilst also trying to accommodate the creeping NLW rises.

There's no point beating around the bush about it, they have their aims and they will achieve it no matter what. They don't care about staff loyalty, experience  or commitment, they just want their profit sheet looking good and will do anything to make that happen.

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #199 on: 18-06-17, 06:28PM »
To be honest if they care why should we .