Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-10-18, 01:40PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6030
  • Latest: vizyon
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81090
  • Total Topics: 1708
  • Online Today: 123
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 98
Total: 102

Author Topic: Membership meeting at work  (Read 1718 times)

FunkSoulBrother

Membership meeting at work
« on: 11-06-18, 11:37AM »
Regarding organising a membership meeting at work:
* Would 'discussion of recent changes at work' (change of break time procedure, introduction of mystery shopper scheme) count as a valid reason to call for a membership meeting at work
* Would the union have to give notice to management and if so, what is the time-frame we are looking at here
* Is there a regulation re how long such a meeting can last
* Does the union have a right to call the meeting on the premises or can management refuse this
* Can management demand to attend the meeting a) on the basis of being management b) on the basis of them also being USDAW members
* Any other issues to consider when calling for a membership meeting
Many thanks for answers / sharing of experience...
the harder they come...

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
Re: Membership meeting at work
« Reply #1 on: 11-06-18, 01:43PM »
USDAW meeting ? LOL  introduction of mystery shopper why would that be a change in work condition we have always had these in various incarnations throughout the years. There has not been a change of break times...

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 11-06-18, 02:35PM »

Why are you asking these things on line  ??? After all if its a Union Membership meeting then the very first place you should be asking is the Union door , Have you asked them ? if so what did they say , if not why have you not made it a priority ?

As to can Management ,, well why would they have to demand ? after all if they are members then why is it that you dont want them to attend ? ,

From what I can remember Managment will be members of the other Union but all depends on job role ,

All in all If you are a member of the Union  8-) then would you not agree that they would or should have taken time to talk to you and the company before the changes had been made ?

FunkSoulBrother

« Reply #3 on: 11-06-18, 04:55PM »
Cheers!
a) I am asking because there has never been a membership meeting at our FC and management says that we can’t have one (or at least not without them)
b) Why not having management at the meeting?! Clash of interests?! Wanting colleagues to speak openly?!
c) I am a union rep and could ask the higher up levels of USDAW for advice, but thought I would ask other union colleagues first - I thought that’s what this forum is for
d) Mystery shoppers are old news in stores, but a new scheme in dot.com - at least misery shoppers with body-cams are
the harder they come...

amex

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 11-06-18, 05:43PM »
If you’re a rep then your union organiser should be in touch with you about meetings. I was a rep for many years, and a forum rep. Got nowhere with it so gave it up, I like helping people but in the end not worth the hassle and no support from union most of the time.  Get in touch with your area office.   

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 11-06-18, 06:23PM »
Cheers!
a) I am asking because there has never been a membership meeting at our FC and management says that we can't have one (or at least not without them)
b) Why not having management at the meeting?! Clash of interests?! Wanting colleagues to speak openly?!
c) I am a union rep and could ask the higher up levels of USDAW for advice, but thought I would ask other union colleagues first - I thought that’s what this forum is for
d) Mystery shoppers are old news in stores, but a new scheme in dot.com - at least misery shoppers with body-cams are

This Forum is a great way to get Information and advice , But what you are talking about is what you as a rep can get with out asking others that will be as Informed as you or less so , 

And if I was a Union member do you truly think that a Union would be able to ban me from attending a meeting being held at my work place ?

Tell me all these changes , all agreed with the Union, and  you just found the time to want to discuss it ? 8-)

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 11-06-18, 08:02PM »
If a manager is a member of usdaw then they have exactly the same rights to attend a meeting as every other member, to exclude them whilst complaining about unfair changes seems very hypocritical.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 11-06-18, 09:58PM »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kingkong2015

« Reply #8 on: 04-07-18, 12:23PM »
Union meetings, well in Distribution and Unite sites union representatives aren’t on site most of the time, so why are we paying for Union representation when there isn’t any?