Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-18, 10:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7900
  • Latest: Hassell
Stats
  • Total Posts: 76928
  • Total Topics: 1599
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 91
Total: 95

Author Topic: Occupational Health ?  (Read 2467 times)

homelycop

• VLH Supporter
Occupational Health ?
« on: 07-06-18, 06:33PM »
Been off work 3 months and had been suggested I get in touch with Occupational health via the Our Tesco website.  That's fine by me but I emailed them more than a week ago, and all I got back from them was a message "Thank you for your enquiry, we are dealing with it and will be back to you shortly".  Not heard a thing since, has anyone else been down this route???

Stevil

Re: Occupational Health ?
« Reply #1 on: 07-06-18, 07:28PM »
I have had a few dealings with OH, I was referred in December last year and only had my assessment in April.  You have a long wait on your hands I am afraid.

homelycop

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 07-06-18, 07:38PM »
Really???   I mean I'm keen to return to work, and I'm sure tesco are keen to have me back but that's so long.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 07-06-18, 09:54PM »
Keen to have you back ;D

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4 on: 08-06-18, 03:45PM »
I got referred to them, I didnt even get a medical or anything they just looked at my records from the nhs.

RogerCo

« Reply #5 on: 12-06-18, 12:55PM »
Did you get any answers by now, Homelycop? You would have thought they'd be more prompt than that.

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 14-06-18, 08:37AM »
I may be wrong but my understanding is that occupational health sit in the middle. They review your work history, your medical condition and then find a way forward. I always thought that they talk to your Dr and they discuss your what is expected of you in your role and the Dr says yes or no to what you can do.
Example, you broke your collar bone and you work on back door. You have ongoing issues since broken collar bone and as soon as you think back to normal it plays up again. Occupational health may talk to your Dr who might say that you need longer to recover. You may feel better but you are not getting full chance to recover. They may then advise a longer return to work plan on light duties or subject to what they have been told they may say not able to work in that role again and you need a lighter duties role. If really bad and they say will never fully recover and will have restricted movement ongoing and they found you broke collar bone due to an underlying medical condition and you are not fit to return to work they may then put you forward for ill health early retirement.
Occupational health are more like mediators, if my understanding is correct.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #7 on: 14-06-18, 10:21AM »
"If really bad and they say will never fully recover and will have restricted movement ongoing and they found you broke collar bone due to an underlying medical condition and you are not fit to return to work they may then put you forward for ill health early retirement."

Which opens another huge can of worms regarding partial or full ill health retirement, a road I travel for a few years with OH and pension trustees before getting an agreement.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 14-06-18, 12:33PM »
Am I correct in thinking that any Pension you get will depend on if you are a member, how much you have paid in, also if your problem was new or had been something you suffered with before you joined as well as if you will ever be able to work in any type of job again not just in Tesco but any place.

Would I also be correct in thinking that most companys companies use OH as a way to get you out of the job you are in.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #9 on: 14-06-18, 02:08PM »
Can you ever work again? that can be the problem as the question that follows in ones mind is, "in whose opinion ?".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 15-06-18, 07:59AM »
Take Fictional Jenny. She hurt her ankle on a skiing holiday. She works on dairy and is no longer able to do this role. At the moment it's unsure if permanent so she is supported and moves to checkouts. if she recovers that is great and can go back to her normal role but if not checkouts is over hours. Jenny can only work mornings and that is why dairy suited her. Should we now move someone from checkouts onto dairy when they have been in the role for a long time and has built up a good rapport with regular customers. Likewise should we make them move into other checkout hours because we need to give Jenny her hours. The other option would be to leave Jenny in the hours she wants and run at over hours.
The hard fact is that we can't afford to pay people to do a job and work hours not needed. We need to look at the roles that have been seen as light duties as service roles, such as checkouts, CSD and PFS.If it's a suitable role for all then that's fine but someone who is not customer focused should not be moved to checkouts just because they need light duties. In the past we have ended up with a whole host of people in these roles with a high level of health issues giving poor service and then still with high sickness as they are still ill. The ankle may be a poor example but the spiral is the same. We need the right people in the right jobs and if someone really is not fit to work they need to be supported into ill health early retirement rather than sit at 35% sick level in a job they are not happy in or good at. We need occupational health as they mediate. They are impartial and can get full picture. We also need to protect people so that they are not forced out during just a bad patch in life because the face does not fit, hence impartial mediation.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #11 on: 15-06-18, 10:02AM »
"They are impartial" ?
"and can get full picture" ! but do they ?

Would anyone find them to be impartial if they 'sided' with the company taking the opposite view to a government appointment health assessor, particularly as the latter had carried out an examination, and OH had never seen the person.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 15-06-18, 06:45PM »
Take Fictional Jenny. She hurt her ankle on a skiing holiday. She works on dairy and is no longer able to do this role. At the moment it's unsure if permanent so she is supported and moves to checkouts. if she recovers that is great and can go back to her normal role but if not checkouts is over hours. Jenny can only work mornings and that is why dairy suited her. Should we now move someone from checkouts onto dairy when they have been in the role for a long time and has built up a good rapport with regular customers. Likewise should we make them move into other checkout hours because we need to give Jenny her hours. The other option would be to leave Jenny in the hours she wants and run at over hours.
The hard fact is that we can't afford to pay people to do a job and work hours not needed. We need to look at the roles that have been seen as light duties as service roles, such as checkouts, CSD and PFS.If it's a suitable role for all then that's fine but someone who is not customer focused should not be moved to checkouts just because they need light duties. In the past we have ended up with a whole host of people in these roles with a high level of health issues giving poor service and then still with high sickness as they are still ill. The ankle may be a poor example but the spiral is the same. We need the right people in the right jobs and if someone really is not fit to work they need to be supported into ill health early retirement rather than sit at 35% sick level in a job they are not happy in or good at. We need occupational health as they mediate. They are impartial and can get full picture. We also need to protect people so that they are not forced out during just a bad patch in life because the face does not fit, hence impartial mediation.
Funny how no one seems bothered about colleagues being customer focused when there are Red or Amber calls to checkouts. :-X :-X :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 16-06-18, 06:25AM »
If we had not grouped all the people with health issues into one dept we would not have to keep supporting them