Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-06-18, 10:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7900
  • Latest: Hassell
Stats
  • Total Posts: 76928
  • Total Topics: 1599
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 93
Total: 98

Author Topic: Overtime  (Read 15180 times)

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
Re: Overtime
« Reply #75 on: 13-06-18, 12:47PM »
I have a question regarding OT on nights.

I dont want to work on my section on OT can i go and ask another manager if i can do it on his section without having to inform my manager. Ive had a few run ins with my manager about how im sick of carrying people on my isle, been doing it for 3 years a s the staff they get in just cant grasp that they have to do their fair share.

I just want my own isle so i can get on with it at my own pace but I know if i ask my manager for OT he will put me down the same isle i work all the time and its getting harder to bite my tongue.

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #76 on: 13-06-18, 12:54PM »
Yes you can, I have seen a number of people doing it in my store .

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #77 on: 13-06-18, 02:13PM »
You can do OT in any department in any store as long as you are trained. Why not just do overtime in the aisle you know. If management can’t see you are carrying people then they are the problem. In my store you can get a new aisle/department every night and they wonder why you don’t finish. It’s the same mess everywhere. They keep getting part time staff who throw a few cases out because they are  not working the next night or will be moved to another aisle.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #78 on: 13-06-18, 03:05PM »
So what happens if I ask a the manager of another department that I want the OT on his and he says yes and my manager gets wind of it and tells me I need to do it on his. Do i just tell him the truth and say I m not doing it on his and thats that or does it become this big thing where they try and force me to do it on my department.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #79 on: 13-06-18, 04:52PM »
Your own manager maybe annoyed you didn’t offer them first. The management in my store are liable all to take a strop and not offer you overtime in the future because you think you can select where you work. They should just be happy to have someone prepared help.  You might think you colleagues are useless but dropping them in it wont achieve anything. If I wanted OT I wouldn’t be selective about where I was put, only saying! You may have reasonable managers though I don’t.

Charlie Harper

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #80 on: 13-06-18, 07:54PM »
You could always spin your manager some yarn of how you'd like to do the OT on another department as part of your own development, you know, add another string to your bow/gain experience elsewhere in the store etc etc

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #81 on: 14-06-18, 08:17AM »
You can do overtime anywhere you are trained, however you should not do overtime in another dept if your own area has shifts that need to be filled. The expectation is that you support your own area first. You are not obliged to ask your manager but I know some who insist on this. If another manager asks you they should speak to your manager first.
If you are interested in working in another area I would talk to the managers of that area, say you are interested if your own area is covered. If they want you they can then fight it out between them and you make your point but show loyalty and understanding. If they then come to ask you I would take it as cleared to do so, if not cleared you can say you asked the right questions so assumed they did too.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #82 on: 14-06-18, 12:54PM »
You can do overtime anywhere you are trained, however you should not do overtime in another dept if your own area has shifts that need to be filled. The expectation is that you support your own area first.

We no longer have our 'OWN' areas we are expected to work where we are needed and once oracle is in store this is taken out of the stores hands, so bearing that in mind how do you reconcile the whole expectation of working our own non existent area?

To the OP.
Mate if you want to work overtime on a different aisle and have the opportunity then go for it, if they try to tell you cant because you have to do it on your own department (that we no longer have) just complain loudly they will soon back down, Also when you go to work on an overtime shift if they try to put you back into your own department (that you dont have) just go home as they obviously do not need you in as you are not doing the job they said they needed.