News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 293
Total: 296

Tesco Staff Benefits

Started by carpman1, 19-08-05, 05:52PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spidercatcher

As it stands atm: one's age + years worked within the company must add up to 80 I believe, but it would be really interesting to know what the previous requirements were.  Can you (or anyone else) remember, Red Shoes?

Redshoes

Age and length of service add up to 80 but you have to retire or be made redundant.
Age and length of service add up to 80.
It was just a straight forward 15 years service for years.
Before that I think it was 10. I'm a bit hazy on that but I remember I got close to it and it moved.
I feel that there were more changes than this but these are what I remember.

Discount was signed for, only one card.
No 15% weekends of double discount. No double discount events. No rewards.

Uniform was kept in a huge wardrobe and when I started I was asked what size I was and was given previously owned uniform from a cupboard. We had to wear our own black/navy skirt and white blouse and an overdress that was gingham and previously worn. No trousers for women and the name on your badge was Mr Bloggs or Mrs Doe for example. Huge uproar when this changed. People did not want customers to know our names. I always thought this silly as easier to trace by a last name. Many colleagues used a different name, unconnected to own name. We went from calling manager Mr Bloggs and Mrs Doe to Joe and Jane

We did have cooks and a three course meal was available in the canteen for 50p but that was over 30 years ago. There were a considerable amount of full time staff.

Staff shop came and went, several times. Sunday opening came and went. Saturday premium was paid to full time colleagues. Full time colleagues did not work Sat to save on paying premium but customers complained that there were only young students in on Sat so full time colleagues were brought back and after that you would never get full time hours without working Sat.

Spidercatcher

Very interesting!  Thanks for all that, I really enjoyed reading it.   :thumbup:

treetop

Are we having 20% discount in December or just the normal 15 % pay weekend . Sorry if this has already been asked

Minnie Mouse

Treetop the 20% discount is from Wednesday 13th December until Tuesday 19th December

Sherwoodforest

@minnie mouse/treetop the 15% not on.only 20% dates above
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

penguin

[quote}

Uniform was kept in a huge wardrobe and when I started I was asked what size I was and was given previously owned uniform from a cupboard. We had to wear our own black/navy skirt and white blouse and an overdress that was gingham and previously worn. No trousers for women and the name on your badge was Mr Bloggs or Mrs Doe for example. Huge uproar when this changed. People did not want customers to know our names. I always thought this silly as easier to trace by a last name. Many colleagues used a different name, unconnected to own name. We went from calling manager Mr Bloggs and Mrs Doe to Joe and Jane

[/quote}
The crazy thing is the name badge issues was still causing issues as late as 2019, for example a newly appointed SM decided a CA had to change there badge to one matching there legal name despite said person being known by the name on his badge since childhood, several grievances and two SD's getting involved later and the outcome was yes you can have a name on your badge that is not your legal name.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

101reef

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned I cant actually search for this answer. My Mother in Law is employed by Tesco and has been off work now for 6 moths with cancer but is due to go into Hospice next week. Its not looking good probably only a week or so before we lose her. Tesco offered her a £50 voucher for her to retire! I was fuming. Obviously she told them to shove it! Just sorting finances for my Father in law. What is the death in service benefit and will he get it?  :(

Doggiedoodle

Don't take Tesco on your mother in law will be entitled to one and a half times her annual salary for every year she has worked for them.

Beanny

If in the Tesco pension 5 times salary, if not 1 yrs pay. Best wishes.

lucgeo

@101reef

I'm sorry to hear of your mother in law's failing health, and am shocked at this offer made for her to retire!!
Is this something that came down from head office or just from the store? Do you have it in writing?

Your mother in law will have probably filled in a form for her 'expression of wish' which would have instructed to whom she's bequested her pension and 'death in service' payments to.
The union should know the exact amount of entitlement years in regard 'death in service' payment which should go to your father in law unless your mother in law expressed another or others to receive.
If your mother in law is a union member she will also be entitled to a small death grant, its is a very small amount, but nevertheless it's her entitlement.
Contact either the union local office or Tesco helpline with regard the amount of in service payment years entitlement, they should be able to tell you immediately.

Regarding the £50 payment offer...make a note of date, time and name of who made that offer...if you have it in writing even better!
Not only is it insulting...it's discriminatory...it's totally wrong, unacceptable and highly insensitive to your mother in law!

In time, when your father in law and the family have come through the grief and loss, take out a grievance against whoever made that offer!
My thoughts are with you and your family at this very difficult time  :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Only Tesco employees can raise a grievance against other Tesco employees, Reef101 from their message implies they don't work at Tesco. A complaint would be the mechanism to bring up dissatisfaction and insensitivity of the managers.

While the mother in law is employed by Tesco, the death benefit will apply as well as any pension she has saved provided she has filled in the pension nomination forms and stated her beneficiaries which would have been done at the same time usually.

If she hasn't done this, then It's very difficult to get this through.

Whatever you do, make sure she doesn't retire before her death otherwise she'll no longer be classed as employed by Tesco and will lose her death benefit (I believe it was 5 times gross salary last I checked, but this could have changed in recent years).

Sorry to hear about your situation.

lucgeo

Yes I got that they aren't Tesco employee...they'd not be one in the sad end either!

They will still be able to take a grievance out against either the store or Tesco itself for the offer!! The lady could put in a written grievance to the area PP the meantime...preferably by Email for the communication trail and then take it further at a later date, after the poor lady has passed, as the initial grievance was still lodged whilst an employee.
Tesco can't brush it under the carpet then...can they >:(

NightAndDay

I'm not sure what happens to grievances after the death of the aggrieved employee, from Reefs comment, she doesn't have long left to go, I'm not sure what the value would be of a grievance being raised in such a tragic circumstance, if it's as a record of dissatisfaction that such an offer was made, a complaint from a relative or beneficiary would probably be more fruitful in getting some sort of acknowledgement of insensitivity from Tesco if that is the aim.

In her final days, I doubt she would want to go through with the bureaucracy of raising and following on a grievance
As long as she's still employed by Tesco when she dies she shouldn't need to worry about anything else and focus on the more important and sentimental aspects of her life and legacy.

lucgeo

Again I agree with the majority of your post, however...as many will testify, once you are no longer in the employ of Tesco, it is nigh on impossible to get any contact or access to anyone in Tesco.
You're mainly left with unanswered'phone calls or emails. You can't just wander into the workplace and ask for updates. Doubly hard for a non ex employee.

I doubt any grievance will proceed instantaneously, as any investigation would need to be conducted thoroughly . Due to its nature, and adding to the sensitivity of the situation, nominating a named person to be a point of contact, as their chosen representative, should  be accepted. The grievance should be made against the store, as this automatically gets taken out of any internal investigation. No one from their workplace can ask, approach, question or make comment regarding the grievance. Especially important in this case that the store manager cannot be involved as I would wonder if that £50 gift voucher idea came from them, as I can't see any other employee making that offer without their knowledge!

If this only serves in an initial written acknowledgement from Tesco, it will give easier access for referral at a later date. If the lady is a union member, her union rep and area rep should be made aware of the grievance and witness it's handing in by her chosen representative, by being given a copy of the written grievance letter. Their names and contact details should be kept for future reference also.

Let's not forget the grievance is against an employee of Tesco offering a terminally ill colleague an offer of money, to forfeit their rights to a substantial amount of monetary payout! Losing this benefit to their family after their passing. How easy do you think that's going to be to prove, taking out a complaint later on?
The wheels need to be set in motion whilst still an employee and their right to making that grievance against the store under her T&C's!

It may be that they wish to take legal advice at a later date, so any names, dates, contact details and written responses will serve them better than being ran round in circles by Tesco becoming very evasive.

Elly1519

Is the £50 gift voucher not the retirement gift?

3. Retirement awards
Retirement marks the end of a colleagues working career and the beginning of a new chapter in their life. We recognise and celebrate this special moment with all colleagues who retire (providing they have at least one years continuous service with us at the date of their retirement) through the presentation of a Retirement Box. The box contains:

Glass block engraved with your name and date of retirement
£50 Tesco Gift Card to select a gift of your choice
An invitation to join the Retired Colleague Community (providing you are 55+ and have 5+ years of continuous service)

lucgeo

But the lady isn't retiring  ???

Elly...bless you...I can see you mean well but the retirement rewards section you've highlighted doesn't really apply in this sad situation.

Sherwoodforest

Maybe it does,maybe the offer of giftcard was misinterpreted as part of ill health early retirement maybe was offered to the lady,still abit underhand though
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

chris9997

This £50 gift card for retirement is correct, but this offer surely can not just be made by management surely she would have to apply to retire on health grounds through payroll/ pensions dept. if she has not done this and not signed anything then the family should just put in a claim for death in service when the unfortunate time comes.

Elly1519

Quote from: lucgeo on 04-12-23, 09:08PMBut the lady isn't retiring  ???

Elly...bless you...I can see you mean well but the retirement rewards section you've highlighted doesn't really apply in this sad situation.
I know she isn't retiring. I just thought the offer had been misinterpreted. Given the circumstances the retirement suggestion should never have brought up in the first place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk