News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

25-04-24, 12:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,408
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 510
Total: 512

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

@Cinderella

They'll tell you any old c**p, and hope you'll believe it...no redundancy as job is there in different time slot/ department/ even store....only if you're matched to the availability Windows you've agreed to, as for store?? Well that depends on locality. Regarding the employees who can't work more hours?? They have a contract of core hours, if the new hours are more than their core hours, their contract hours can't be increased to accommodate.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

@Redshoes

From your usual stance and replies I take it you are either a checkout manager or team support, as you often state how shopfloor should be supporting the checkouts under the "one team" banner!

Indeed your last post stated that..." Stock control etc have to support checkouts when needed. This is now working the other way, it's that simple" therefore am I to take it that all of the checkout teams are fully trained on stock control routines, readily available to assist in delivering the set targets within daily set timescales for the s/c department to achieve green...stock control are expected to be trained on checkouts, how many checkout teams are trained to use a PDA, count stock on or wipe off, check bookstocks, locate and instore, gap scan, DSS, product enquiries etc...etc...yep..."it's that simple"  :-X

Have you personally ever used a PDA for stock control enquiries and routines?

lucgeo

And to add further to the above....how many cashiers, who have helped on the shopfloor, return to a backlog of customers waiting for them to catch up, like the backlog of routines waiting for the shopfloor colleagues when they eventually get to return to their own departments...many are away from their sections for hours, "supporting" whilst the cashiers are sent for their breaks, ignoring the fact that most of the "supporting" shopfloor colleagues are way past their due break times!

The most time cashiers spend on shop floor supporting is 15 minutes tops!! And then it's only filling...so no payback or use to stock control there then...One call to return to checkouts, off they go...never to be seen again! Immediately followed by the checkout manager calling all the shopfloor colleagues back again, regardless of the fact they've not long got off the checkout...and then given the third degree if they say they're going on an overdue break... :-X

Walker

I'm really getting confused...

Obviously, you can only be asked to carry out a role if you've been trained on it.

Personally even though I'm a checkout worker I started out working counters before moving to tills, and have been trained on Produce, Grocery, Backdoor, Fresh, self-service and Trollies.

Obviously, I help support other departments when there is a quiet spell.

This doesn't seem to be about that,. Despite what Redshoes says it really seems more about cutting hours on checkouts. Checkouts won't be "supporting" these departments but instead workers will be moved onto other departments whether they like it or not...

Walker

... and to add, I can't think of realistic scenarios where it makes sense to move someone from Checkouts to Stock Control for only an hour in a shift.

Katarn2000

I hate to s*** on the drama here but as an ex checkout and compliance manager I'm pretty sure in most cases this will be dealt with through natural wastage because checkouts had incredible staff turnover anyway. You guys who are staying in the department probably won't know much difference except being asked if you can tweak your shifts when someone leaves.

madness

Number one gripe from my staff and others. Checkouts never let us off if we go on.  Also because the checkout manger reports tot he store manager we have to support them so strore manager gets to say the department he overseas always passes but it f***s over the shop floor.

Or the checkouts havnt managed their holidays properly despite your department being right. So you suffers as they have huge holidays at this time of year and the shop floor has to cover.

londoner83

Bottom line is if you as a team manager you fail to deliver sba, sales, waste, shrink etc it is down to you alone to fix it with your team.....
Yet if as a checkout manager you cant pass IDQ you can pull resource from all other depts to deliver.

Redshoes

I may have picked on the wrong area when I used stock control as an example but it still is what it is. For years people have been complaining about a one way flow to checkouts and even though there is built in time to support checkouts there is resentment. It is now saying that checkouts have to give back, they can't sit idle on a till and do nothing. The idle time is looking to become as big a target to manage as IDQ.
As for the rest, nobody know how to do something until they are trained. It's unrealistic to expect a full checkout team to all train in stock control, I should maybe have said fill fresh or grocery. In the store I work in we have a few early morning checkout colleagues trained to support PI. We have another few who like to support in fresh and in the evenings they can support with grocery, even if only facing.
We don't have any checkout operators that are trained on stock control but we do have two stock control colleagues who regularly pick up overtime on checkouts.
I have done nearly 30 years with the company. I have worked in several stores and in most Depts over the years. I am personally comfortable with a PDA but a bit rusty on the stock control side of things. This is not however about me.
People have been complaining on here for years about having to support checkouts. They have also complained that checkouts are not always as busy. The company (not me) is now saying they need to reduce idle time at checkouts, it's specific to store how it's done but idle time will be reduced. People are now saying on here they don't want untrained checkout colleague helping them. They are only untrained until they are not. Until this settles and kicks in can we aim to support each other. Checkouts are still colleagues going through structure change, even if soft structure. As a company we have often put people on checkouts with health issues so they may well be very worried about how this will all affect them. In my store and a few others I have worked in we have tended to have long serving colleagues on checkouts, many fall within long term absence. Last year we had a bad time after Christmas with just two long term absence people come back and then need holidays. Dot.com tends to be only dept bigger than checkouts. The company are saying that there is a resource we are not effectivlly using but it's going to take time to land, it is far from problem/issue free but the two way flow could be much better.

rayinski

If you are one of those people who complain that the checkout staff who can now leave tills when its quiet arent' trained, help them out and show them. Yes, for the short term it will slow things down, but in the longer, it will help you and them.

I for one am glad that as a part of the checkout team I can now leave my till when its quiet and help out, I don't like how the company went about it, i.e. making more people redundant, but that's something outside of my control.  I'm lucky, I didn't need someone from shopfloor to show me how to fill correctly, as I used to fill at my old store, so I have shown others and I know staff on other departments appreciate it as they've told me (inc. managers)

lucgeo

8-) aye in an ideal world maybe... 8-) stock control is a complex department, it's not only about training, it's about understanding the reasons things are done a certain way, and the impact it can have on the store and shrink if it is done incorrectly. It's not as easy as, here's a PDA point and scan...someone getting off a checkout for even an hour, will have little impact on helping the dept out, as it takes that long just to go through the different screens available for each scenario, never mind understand and remember them. It's pointless putting a checkout person on the section, at the wrong timeframe window. An hour would help to do a gapscan, but that would need to be done first, early morning, and how many checkouts are manned at that time?
Colleagues are taken off their departments for a long length of time to train on checkouts, yet the same timeframes aren't given for cashiers to train on other depts, so their "help" has little, if any impact. Most cashiers don't even get training on their own depts...how many are put to train on CSD or in the cash office, during their idle time, or any time. Non, as again both depts are more complex, other than serving the fags or lottery, they again have little impact, as they can't cover breaks, due to being untrained on every routine and scenario.

NightAndDay

In Express, unless it's a 40-50k a week sweetshop, designated till people have always been expected to work delivery/rumble the front ends of the stores while being sole checkout person.
Back in my twilight years I had to do scratchcard counts, news and mag returns/deliveries, costa machine cleaning cycle and 2 aisles of delivery while being sole checkout person. Superstore has had it too easy for too long.

lucgeo

You were trained to do all these routines though?? I don't think anyone minds working different depts, variety is good. The frustration here is that it's all one sided, and workload and routines are backed up, to then see a cashier go face up an aisle for ten minutes is pointless. It's not about cashiers, it's about the muddling along without any proper plan of action.
All new vacancies should be filled by people who are immediately trained on every dept...so when the store is recruiting it should be taking volumes on rather than dept specific individuals, then rotate those people for two weeks training on each dept...but it doesn't happen because everyone is taken on as a temp, on short hour/term contracts, the older trained are leaving or taking redundancy. One of Tesco's core values was " sharing the knowledge" that was a core value for a reason, yet very few people have ever heard of the core values, they're no longer displayed on posters throughout anymore ???

Mojo2012

Hi there
Just wondered if you have had an actual brief? I work for PI but have not been told what's happening yet. Hope your job is ok and it's just a gossip

StinkyPoo

Mojo2012, I work in pi but not been told anything other than it is being restructured and paperwork going online from week 1.

yelsel

Hoped we would heard something by now this waiting is not good

thecleaningwoman

Blackcat3

Looks like we won't find out probably till week 1

Mojo2012

Fingers crossed we will hear soon 😁

ETUKL

Regarding pi I can confirm it's not a rumour definitely a reduction in hours, each store be different based on what hours your pi work. 

Blackcat3

EtUKL are they doing away with nightshift do you know?

renown

m360 has posted recently saying nightshift will not be going.

Blackcat3

I think that was for replenishment not pi

ETUKL

Unsure was just told we were over hours but not where those hours were.

Mojo2012

Our store currently has 2 shifs. Evening of 7pm-12am
Morning of 3am -8am and a full timer doing 3am till 11am. Do you think we are already on the correct hours or will they change even more?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk