News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:04AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 286
Total: 289

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

Quote from: belfast driver on 20-09-18, 07:53PM
Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 06:14PM
Quote from: belfast driver on 20-09-18, 01:08PM
Does anyone know if Tesco are supplied the new Jacks stores through there own distribution network or are they using the booker part of the company?

Our DC has branded Jack's MU's, so I imagine we'll be delivering to the stores.

Is jack's classed as T then or a separate entity? If, for example T made a loss, but Jack's made massive massive profits, would T staff still get a bonus? Or if T made a profit, and Jack's made a loss, would this be used to not pay a bonus?

Grim  up North what depot are you based in?

A T one

grim up north

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:50PM
Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 07:46PM
All the MU's for Jack's are from the same suppliers as T. How much price difference is there, for example 2l Ashbeck water, or plum tomatoes?

There are no Tesco branded products in Jacks.
But for example, Jack's baked beans are 23p. T E Stockwell beans are 23p. Aldi and Lidl are 26p

T sell ashbeck spring water. Jack's sell ashbeck spring water in different packaging. If there is a difference in price for the same product, do you think customers will be happy with it?

ManyFormats

Quote from: OvaSees on 20-09-18, 07:58PM
Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:40PM
Quote from: Spongbob on 20-09-18, 07:22PM
Why  not just reduce our stupid over priced items  just cut prices no need for all this c**p jacks  omg

What facts can you back this up with?
Erm... https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/the-grocer-33

Well...  https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/went-shopping-big-tesco-compare-15177937.amp

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:40PM
Laurence Harvey has been leading this project for Tesco and he is an Ex Aldi Exec - he knows what he's doing and therefore so do we.
I remember being told that when Matt Davies jumped on board. How long do you think Laurence will be around then?

Did you stop reading the article halfway? Or did you expect me not to have already have read it?

To quote:
"The thing is, a Tesco spokesperson says the prices taken from the launch, which are being widely used to compare against other stores, aren't necessarily accurate.

And our shopping basket from Burnage contained products from the 'exclusively at Tesco' range of brands, which quite often undercut Tesco's own prices.

A spokesperson said: "By beating the lowest national price on products with similar quality, we believe Jack's will be the cheapest for shoppers in its towns.""

Go out and buy that exact basket in Aldi and Lidl.
You will pay more, you will queue, amd you will have your shopping thrown at you at the checkout bagging area.
Use the app in Jack's do your shop, scan the self scan screen and out you go.

ManyFormats

Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 08:12PM
Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:50PM
Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 07:46PM
All the MU's for Jack's are from the same suppliers as T. How much price difference is there, for example 2l Ashbeck water, or plum tomatoes?

There are no Tesco branded products in Jacks.
But for example, Jack's baked beans are 23p. T E Stockwell beans are 23p. Aldi and Lidl are 26p

T sell ashbeck spring water. Jack's sell ashbeck spring water in different packaging. If there is a difference in price for the same product, do you think customers will be happy with it?

What prices are they selling at? Is there any difference this morning?

grim up north

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 08:23PM

What prices are they selling at? Is there any difference this morning?

I've no idea. That's why I asked. You seem to have your finger on the pulse

Duracell

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:33PM
Critical is wholly different to most of what I've read on some of these forums - there is a general apathy towards the company and a naiive belief that an individual's singular experience in one store represents everyone else's experiences - eg to get promoted you have to somehow be a swot, a smartarse or a relative. Just rubbish.

If we kept the final salary pension scheme, then the business would have been crippled with debt and probably collapsed. To stay competitive, we have to innovate.

What makes Jack's different to the criminally neglegent Phil Clarke era is the relevance of the business direction.
Clarke bought Giraffe, Harris & Hoole, Freds (remember them anyone?) as well as all sorts of other weird money wasting ventures.

DL has binned all those off, rightly so, and bought the world's leading Wholesaler and set us up with a new discounter with a British provenance.
Keeping it simple and relevant.

As for naive belief and singular experience, to then go on to say if we had kept the Pension scheme.... you do realise that "A defined Benefit Pension scheme"  wasn't closed to all and some are still enjoying the benefit and paying into such a scheme .. don't you? Or are you expecting me to believe your limited perspective?

Also grim up north has a point, please speculate what the reaction will be when T's customer base (loyal ones), realise that indeed spring water sourced and packaged by the same supplier is cheaper at Jacks, do you not feel the existing customer base at T will feel a little cheated.
Or are going to try to imply not one product line from Jacks will be from the same sources as T lines just in different packaging.

One other thing what is your opinion about my earlier post with regards to the sourcing company for Bookers and the Euro Shopper Brand, with The History Of The Euro Shopper Brand having to be rebranded in Other countries, and the impending fate of the UK leaving the EU, will a Brand with Euro in its title be able to survive in the UK having Migrated the EU, and could a "Jacks" Brand play any part in a rebranding of the Euroshopper Brand?
Having the Euroshopper brand survival question in mind, is it coincidence that the Jacks brand name is accompanied by 🇬🇧 on packaging and shelving?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

rogersmart

Duracell makes a good point about the feelings of existing Tesco shoppers regarding "identical" products having Jack's labels instead of Tesco, and being sold at lower prices.  But .... isn't that what Jack's is all about?  Providing a more basic, no-frills store environment - many fewer staff, no Customer Services counter, a fraction of the product range, etc, etc.  It's very much a question of "You pay your money and you make your choice!"  I think it's a brave concept and as has already been said here, it's up to all of us to highlight the benefits in terms of service and shopping experience in Tesco to offset any price differences.  We can all see this as a real opportunity to take on Sainsbury's and the rest, or we can be beaten before we have started.  I for one want to give it a go!

Duracell

I understand the concept, I hope it makes a difference for the company and consumers.
Yet based on the information about roll out, and geographical locations and how limited it is, I can't see it impacting the discount market that much, yet if it expands to be able to, it will inherently have a negative effect on T's core business.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Nomad

Staff in medium size stores need to beware if Jack's is a success as they will run with a lot less staff.

DL in an article, if successful we have optionality going forward  :-X
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

fatboy

How many new Jack's stores have opened this week?

madness

I wonder if the offset in reduced till staff for using steal as you shop will balance out the cost in shrink?

Nomad

@fatboy, 2 apparently.

https://forecourttrader.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/15667/Tesco_launches_Jack_s_discount_chain_and_own_brand.html

QuoteOver the next six months Tesco will launch 10-15 Jack's stores in the UK. The first two stores will open on 20 September in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, and Immingham, Lincolnshire, on sites which make use of excess Tesco space. The stores to follow will include a mix of new sites, sites adjacent to existing Tesco stores, and a small number of converted Tesco stores.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Has 'manyformats' been kicked off the site?

[gmod]Yes[/gmod].

woody505

Managed to find a few prices for Jack's and confused tesco is either lower already or identical by time you allow for the pack size. You don't have too pick up brand names going round tesco plenty of competitive prices on the basic ranges. So opening new shops with mainly just the budget lines where margins are tite is going to turn things round. Sainsburys had ago with netto a few years ago and couldn't make it work. Looks like a massive gamble.

Trickster

I will throw a spin ......with my thoughts.....from my crystal ball

Facts

•   5 are ex metro store.....Clearly non profitable stores

•   Others are mothballed stores or land....buildings or land that is being de-valued each year as no-one apart from house builders want land and retail speaks for itself with the amount of empty retail units throughout the past few years and more to come no-one wants bricks & mortar buildings.

•   Extras/superstores etc not fit for purpose too big for the ranges and sales apart from Xmas  as far as i am aware. As above no retailer really wants to open any more stores or get into bed within Tesco using their space to promote their wares. you only have to look at house of Fraser and Debenhams as to what the public want Big department stores with concessions is a thing of the past. so the answer is who wants the space in our shops?

Here is my opinion for what its worth.....

•   At least one of the stores is on the property of one of our big stores.

•   The amount of money invested is not huge in big corporate circles, £25million is only 6 Dave Lewis`s salary and bonus`s

•   I believe that each and every site that they are using is a test pilot unless I have missed the news there was no anouncement of any further concrete openings after these. Although I am sure they do have a plan if its successful and a list of stores will be in the confidential box, where the open and honest approach got put that Dave lewis promoted when he took over all that time ago but never delivered,to his loyal staff, you only have to look at the amount of redundancies loss of premiums over the years most of which were speculated on here before he had the open and honesty to tell is loyal staff .

•   The Metros that are being used cannot be making money ....otherwise they would keep them open as Metros so possibly without this Jacks project potentially they would  have been on a closure list, in the future. Not knowing the stores it may well be they are on a long lease that would cost them to get out of.

•   As previously stated the land and mothballed property they own is de-valuing and dead money being held up so why not give it a go and get some income from a derelict property

•   So therefore my theory is this  it is a test to see if they can compete for customer loyalty in the jacks format and drag some customers from Aldi/ Lidl as indicated stop their expansion with a one stop shop next to, within or within the vicinity of the big stores.

•   if they can specially with the trial within the vicinity of a nearby large store they will split some of the extras store buildings into a jacks and Tesco. keeping them as separate business`s under the same roof, Different entrances Jacks would drag in the footfall  with the prices and profitability with the staffing level ( and no extra rent to pay) whilst visiting the Jacks format they would nip into the Tesco and get the rest of their shopping, at a premium price.

•   I believe after 12 months if it does what I predict there will be a major rollout over the whole of the extra and superstore estate, at least where they own the building or on a long lease

As for Asda /sainsbury they have a plan otherwise they would not have tried to merge.

My Theory is-:
•   They will do similar to what I said above with the Asda being the discount arm managed similarly to Jacks, of the retail outfit and the Sainsbury being the Tesco.

•   The 2 business`s will be as already anounced run separately from separate warehouses but both run under the same roof with Habitat and Argos thrown in to make it a one stop destination.

•   As for lonely Morrisions........Already in bed with Amazon it would not surprise me in the long term they will become part of Amazon maybe not yet but in the future.

Here endeth the lesson from Mystic Trickster.... time will tell if I am right

grim up north

Quote from: grim up north on 21-09-18, 06:39PM
Has 'manyformats' been kicked off the site?

Yes.

Differing points of view are valid I think. I had no problem with them.

[admin]I have no problem with differing points of view, except when the point(s) being expressed are on the character of others. Please also consider that there are those in Tesco and USDAW hierarchy who have a big dislike of VLH and will do whatever they can to 'spoil' it for those genuinely seeking help or wanting to give help, one such spoiler method would be to flood it with members who are little more than a mouthpiece for the company or union, if that is what the majority of VLH members want then I and the moderators will sit back and let them destroy the main purpose of VLH which is for members to help each and have 'friendly' differing opinions along the way. Nomad [/admin] 

woody505

The depot that is supplying them is probably using the same supplier put paying a tiny bit more for a different label from the printer. How can 15 trial shops provide better buying power than the rest of the company. How can the buyers of Jack's go too the baked bean factory and negotiate a better price than all over supermarkets? I'm not paid too think but somebody we'll above my pay grade thinks it's a worth it. Hope for shareholders and ppls jobs it's not another hudl

Welsh-Hugh

Could this be the new Jack's store built in Extra car park. Says won't sell food but have to wait and see  https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/tesco-new-shop-exeter-vale-1203024

Nomad

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/jacks-prices-vs-normal-tesco-13279629

QuoteSo we're getting the same basket for less money at the 'proper' Tesco.

Hmmmmm....

QuoteThe thing is, a Tesco spokesperson says the prices taken from the launch, which are being widely used to compare against other stores, aren't necessarily accurate.
But the store was open to everyday customers, is he saying a lot of the pricing was wrong, does not say much for efficiency.

Hmmmmmm  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Totot

I think this is show that tosco's bosses are chasing the after image of aldi and lidl that they dont even create. From calling them discounter to the advert war whose the cheapest, tosco really fell into that game.

In most business it will be all about market segmentation and where you aim it, single or multiple target. Tesco seems forget about this. the hardest part about this is to know when condition and culture change, in where and how fast. Good budgeting forecast ability would be a must in this game, and the art side of managerial as good managerial instinct will be as important.

And price wise, it is even more simple.  Cost of product, sunk cost, operation cost, asset value and depreciation cost etc with profit margin target is almost all about it. While cost of product can be negotiate, but stuff like lease, rent or even buy a property was already decided before the shop open, along with sunk cost and non accountable cost. If tosco made mistake in the beginning will result to have higher cost no matter what format we have. And all of this will need to be taken account against target market and the size of the market, and this is long before all the small adjustment. As we know, the change value of asset few years ago gave a huge impact on revenue statement.

Who knows about these financial number and how the project and forecast that. Low price alone wont be enough if you cant get your market target. For example, pound stretcher prices, some of their stuff have the best prices i know, including branded item, but they got no clear target or not big enough with often wrong location. No target for shopping type even.

So let see what gonna happened in the future, for me i still cant see retail and management skill from big bosses up there. Still can see so many inefficiency in daily routine, wrong selling forecast against ordering quantity. No substantial "trick" come out.
But even if everything so good, with this low level of human resources management in almost all level, any company or body wont last.It might be not the core management but it is one of the most essentials.

forrestgimp

Quote from: ManyFormats on 19-09-18, 07:20PM
Reading the comments on this thread had been hilarious, frustrating and downright embarrassing.

It is clear from the majority of the comments that most of you have no idea how the. New format will work, what the rollout plan is, why it is needed rather than being done in a Tesco store, and why we're doing it.

How about, for once *just for once* you look at the project with an open mind and optimism?

The facts are:
💡80% of the products are British
💡We will open 10/15 stores this year
💡5 of these will be from existing Metro stores - the colleagues in these stores are already aware of the changes and have been spoken to/offered options
💡The remainder of stores will therefore be NEW. This means the company is trading well and is in a strong financial position. This is good for the Share price, Your Pension and your longevity working for a profitable business
💡We are taking on the German discounters at their own game, levelling the playing field in terms of operation, but with an added buying power of Tesco, Booker and Carrefour, and the world class distribution networks of Tesco and Booker.
💡imagine being in Sainsbury's or Asda this morning, limited to big stores, facing the prospect of dozens and dozens of store closures, integration of 2 replenishment systems, distribution networks, working agreements and supplier negotiations, losing Market Share to the discounters and now a new challenge to face from Jack's

We should be getting behind the business on this, recognising that it benefits everyone for it to be successful and be proud that Tesco is back doing what it is best at - being disruptive in the market and fighting for Market Share.

Still seems a bit weird when you have a huge retail set up with hundreds or thousands of shops with turn over in the billions and yet the only way you can see to take on the Germans as you put it is to start from scratch. Are you saying Tesco is incapable of doing so, bit of an admission that is eh. Are you also telling us that we face the very real prospect of dozens and dozens of store closures because I cant see 15 shops doing anything against that can you?

No this strikes me as someones big idea when they needed to prove how great they are at their job and why they are worth the few million a year they get paid. Wonder how you swung it......Hey dave we suck moose bawls so I recon we should open another set of stores called something different like Daves or at a push something else that way we can sell the cheap stuff we already sell put a different label on it and take on the Germans........ What do you think dave eh, eh, eh.

Like I said can you hurry up the store closures I want my redundancy.

usualsuspect

Is the Tesco brand now so tainted that it is put out to grass , and a new identity brought to the public ?

If we are so proud of Tesco and so optimistic then surely we should strengthen the brand identity through retailing diversity under the Tesco Local banner .

We are Tesco , be proud and wave the banner , forward and upwards under " all things to all of the people " via a variety of identifiable retail formats .

The Tesco logo must be worth billions and we subjugate it to " JACK'S " ?

Steve

Us

grim up north

The value range has all been rebranded hasn't it? Now though it might be called jacks in those stores?

woody505

Yeah not much left for value now just water lemonade crisps soap

Nomad

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/23/i-fear-for-shopping-when-its-goop-for-glitz-and-jacks-for-austerity

QuoteTesco and Goop are both engaged in full-on retail segregation – but only one is being upfront about it. With Jack's, it's not the produce that got rebranded, it's the consumers.

I thought the entire article a good read, with the above line being food for thought.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk