Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:38PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 309
Total: 312

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensible_woman

Having worked at Tescos for 25 years I now have strongly come to the conclusion that they are slowly but definitely, trying to squeeze us old timers in to leaving.  In my experience the new starters are being put upon to an extent that they either can't hack it or are not prepared to put up with the pressure and moving on.  Us old timers (many of more mature years)are being left to mop up and put things right and sorting hash up jobs done by newbies.  I understand that recruiting people to work at my store was very difficult as very few were coming for interviews.  Therefore doesn't it make sense to keep the oldies many of which have good old fashioned work ethics ie very few absences? I am now at the point where, if I'm going to get paid the same as a newbie will work like one.  It achieves nothing but it does make me feel a whole lot better in the name of being 'fair' as head office keeps banging on about.

JL

Do a few hours work and get to France. The place is always going to look unfinished. They cannot spend money like they did in the past on tidying aisles. Margins are a lot tighter due to the amount of competition.

Equalizer87

@ sensible_woman

I know plenty of "Older" staff who have poor work ethics, it's nothing to do with age of the worker, it's their personal mentality that counts.

And it's took you 25 years to come to that conclusion? Wow.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

tescopleb

Equalizer,I take your point but I think you are deliberately missing the point sensible woman is trying to make and as much as experience is a dirty word in store right now it's the one thing holding many together.

bugsbunny

I totally agree with you sensible woman that is exactly what I am doing been with company 30 years. I have never seen it in such a bad state as it is in now

Equalizer87

Quote from: tescopleb on 15-07-18, 07:30PM
Equalizer,I take your point but I think you are deliberately missing the point sensible woman is trying to make and as much as experience is a dirty word in store right now it's the one thing holding many together.

Not "deliberately" missing any point, but to presume all newbie (young) workers are all dead weight is simply ridiculous. The night shift I worked on had two people over the  age of 35, both being managers. The rest were all aged between 18 and 32 and without them the store would have failed.

Experience helps, yes, but older age/length of service is not a guarantee of an effective workforce. Experience  isn't holding the stores together, it's the lack of will in experienced staff to find something different when they're fed up of the state of things.

Long serving  staff are certainly be squeezed out, so rather than put up with the c**p, find something that values  your effort and let the big T sink without you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

surlaroute

that's a very narrow window of age you've left there to justify your shaky argument equalizer lol... also as I wanted to comment earlier but decided against it, consider that you're talking about people who have found themselves pretty much "stuck" in this job that has f-ed with their heads so much they're not fit to apply for anything else they might even want to move on to. The implication in a lot of this pay review is that people are miserable because they're not getting a raise, like they're all entitled or something. Most of us don't even care about that - if our pay remained completely unchanged we'd probably just muddle through like everyone expects us to. It's the fact that they're making us literally unable to pay at least one whole bill for the next 5 months and parroting RISE RISE RISE at us that is making us want to riot.

bugsbunny

Exactly that tandemwerk, well said.

Equalizer87

Quote from: tandomwerk on 15-07-18, 10:16PM
that's a very narrow window of age you've left there to justify your shaky argument equalizer lol... also as I wanted to comment earlier but decided against it, consider that you're talking about people who have found themselves pretty much "stuck" in this job that has f-ed with their heads so much they're not fit to apply for anything else they might even want to move on to. The implication in a lot of this pay review is that people are miserable because they're not getting a raise, like they're all entitled or something. Most of us don't even care about that - if our pay remained completely unchanged we'd probably just muddle through like everyone expects us to. It's the fact that they're making us literally unable to pay at least one whole bill for the next 5 months and parroting RISE RISE RISE at us that is making us want to riot.

Just proven that your head is stuck up your backside.  The "narrow age gap" is because that was the age group on the shift, yet git more completed than others with "older staff" on them. Experienced staff are constantly moaning how bad it is, then get the f*** out, why stay in a job that pisses  you off so much.

Still not answered how long service translates as a "good" indicator of experience or ability. Plenty of people in Tesco with 10-20 years under there belt and as useless as some of these newbies you hark on about.

surlaroute

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 16-07-18, 12:49AM
Just proven that your head is stuck up your backside.

you're just saying that your experience is more valid than mine, when I didn't even bring my personal experience into it. I actually agree with you there's about 3% of people I work with who work as hard as I do, and there's no correlation in either age/gender/whatever, and I only put up with it cos I know I work fewer hours than most of them but it still shouldn't matter. This thread has nothing to do with the effort anybody is putting in... that is something to be dealt with in another manner. My point was to highlight the most disgusting part of this period which is that some people may be getting a significant cut to their pay that was in no way sufficiently signalled to them, in fact it is still consistently being sold to them as a raise. It cannot be said enough times, and you sounded like you were in the "suck it up or get out" crowd, which is a crowd that deserves to be shot down at every opportunity, because what is happening right now is unbelievable in the 21st century.

Lacky

A question if by cutting Sunday premium are tesco not treating a minority differently than the majority of staff and as I see it a form of discrimination under the pillars of which Tesdaw is founded  hypothetically speaking 😕

Hammer10

We tried that one in court for losing double time but lost.

JL

Just give them very little help. I have seen some of the tactics used by day shift to appear busy when they are doing nothing. Going to tell the SM when I next see him. Hopefully he sees for himself who should get a rise and those who shouldn't have a job atoll. Unfortunately there is no fairness just now.

Equalizer87

Quote from: tandomwerk on 16-07-18, 01:31AM

you're just saying that your experience is more valid than mine, when I didn't even bring my personal experience into it. I actually agree with you there's about 3% of people I work with who work as hard as I do, and there's no correlation in either age/gender/whatever, and I only put up with it cos I know I work fewer hours than most of them but it still shouldn't matter. This thread has nothing to do with the effort anybody is putting in... that is something to be dealt with in another manner. My point was to highlight the most disgusting part of this period which is that some people may be getting a significant cut to their pay that was in no way sufficiently signalled to them, in fact it is still consistently being sold to them as a raise. It cannot be said enough times, and you sounded like you were in the "suck it up or get out" crowd, which is a crowd that deserves to be shot down at every opportunity, because what is happening right now is unbelievable in the 21st century.

The issue in regards to a person effort was brought up by Sensible Woman, who doesn't believe that Newbie/young staff are as good or effect ad Older staff and is therefore disheartened that older staff are having to suffer the same pay reductions as younger/inexperienced staff. That is where the issue is.

lucgeo

Quote from: GreenGrocer on 16-07-18, 12:00PM
Just give them very little help. I have seen some of the tactics used by day shift to appear busy when they are doing nothing. Going to tell the SM when I next see him. Hopefully he sees for himself who should get a rise and those who shouldn't have a job atoll. Unfortunately there is no fairness just now.

Ooohh I'm telling on you :D :D what does that achieve, apart from causing a rift amongst colleagues and making yourself look a right plonker into the bargain :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Equalizer87

Quote from: tandomwerk on 16-07-18, 01:31AM

The issue in regards to a person effort was brought up by Sensible Woman, who doesn't believe that Newbie/young staff are as good or effect ad Older staff and is therefore disheartened that older staff are having to suffer the same pay reductions as younger/inexperienced staff. That is where the issue is.

As the the cuts in pay, well nowt you can do about it. As I said before if you're not happy with your service, loyalty and experience  then leave, simple as that.

Duracell

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 15-07-18, 08:21PM
Quote from: tescopleb on 15-07-18, 07:30PM

Not "deliberately" missing any point, but to presume all newbie (young) workers are all dead weight is simply ridiculous. The night shift I worked on had two people over the  age of 35, both being managers. The rest were all aged between 18 and 32 and without them the store would have failed.

Experience helps, yes, but older age/length of service is not a guarantee of an effective workforce. Experience  isn't holding the stores together, it's the lack of will in experienced staff to find something different when they're fed up of the state of things.

Long serving  staff are certainly be squeezed out, so rather than put up with the c**p, find something that values  your effort and let the big T sink without you.

A generalisation as ridiculous as everyone is better off without USDAW as there is no benefit to anyone being a member. Yes apathy of staff!! not willing to change anything or even attempt to!! Absolutely part of not only the problem but the cause of the problems that keep compounding into even more.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Shafted

Quote from: bugsbunny on 13-07-18, 11:22AM
Shafted, maybe you would think differently if you were doing the same job, same hours for less pay.i am afraid to say I don't care what my other colleagues think I only think about myself now. T***co have made sure of that, those at head office only think about themselves so time we did the same. There is no such thing as one team, no one works as a team anymore. Hammer 10 I am with you, and Leigh Day.
I do exactly that, day in and day out but taking time off sick does not solve the problem. It just makes more work for others. You can't always leave if it's so bad, see what else you can find out there in the greener grass 🤔

arron_ramsey

Newbie here with my first post :P

The What Matters To You Surveys have now started, as shown on "Our Tesko". This is our time to let Tesko and Management know that we are very unhappy with Sunday premiums being reduced without the "Compensation" stated, which in my case will affect me massively now :thumbdown:

Also if anyone has the Head Office and any other majorly relevant email addresses I would be very thankful for, as I am looking to report my management in my store, as we are all treated in a disgusting slavery manner, and when complaining to them nothing is done hence the next process of action is to be taken.

roughyedspud

Has anyone received new contracts yet?...

Beverley

Quote from: arron_ramsey on 17-07-18, 12:12AM
Newbie here with my first post :P

The What Matters To You Surveys have now started, as shown on "Our Tesko". This is our time to let Tesko and Management know that we are very unhappy with Sunday premiums being reduced without the "Compensation" stated, which in my case will affect me massively now :thumbdown:

Also if anyone has the Head Office and any other majorly relevant email addresses I would be very thankful for, as I am looking to report my management in my store, as we are all treated in a disgusting slavery manner, and when complaining to them nothing is done hence the next process of action is to be taken.
davelewis@uk.tesco.com

JL

There should be a contact Dave Lewis thread with details for the CEO. The way our night lead and TMs speak to people is terrible. Everyone has a story. I am fed up with complaints against TMs being brushed under the carpet by Senior Team and SMs who want the easy life.

dotnochance

I strongly suggest everyone sends a polite email to Dave saying how much this Sunday pay will effect you

lackofinterest

and you really think he'll give a s***???

Hammer10

Just signed up for equal pay claim.i wonder how many there will be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk