Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-09-17, 08:58AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7528
  • Latest: Nickjay
Stats
  • Total Posts: 70604
  • Total Topics: 1535
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: New PDAs  (Read 4130 times)

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
New PDAs
« on: 13-09-17, 04:58PM »
What's everyone's view on the new PDAs in store?

fruitdogs

Re: New PDAs
« Reply #1 on: 13-09-17, 05:28PM »
No soft pen for click and collect customers to sign.

Wagegirl42

« Reply #2 on: 14-09-17, 12:22AM »
In our store it seems a lot faster.
The batteries last my whole shift.
There are now enough pdas to go round as each dept can only access limited pdas
I quite like tapping in the number so I miss that aspect.
It speeds up reducing of labels as you can see when last sold without looking it up.
One negative I would say is on price integrity you no longer have product enquiry which was handy to price check for customers.

FarmerFred

« Reply #3 on: 14-09-17, 09:22AM »
Much faster & better battery life, but I miss having the keyboard as quite a few sequences could be done without looking.  Waste - the ability to add more than 25 units is useful for the odd occasion.  I don't like the layout for milk deliveries - too much wasted space & just seems clunky compared to the old - this is one of the areas that I could do by touch. Another bonus is the ability to switch between apps without having to keep logging in and out.

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 14-09-17, 04:56PM »
What's everyone's view on the new PDAs in store?

Quite good, but they do seem very fragile.

With a glass screen I can't see them lasting too long, and at £900 each, when broken I can't see them being replaced quickly.

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 14-09-17, 05:05PM »
In our store it seems a lot faster.
The batteries last my whole shift.
There are now enough pdas to go round as each dept can only access limited pdas
I quite like tapping in the number so I miss that aspect.
It speeds up reducing of labels as you can see when last sold without looking it up.
One negative I would say is on price integrity you no longer have product enquiry which was handy to price check for customers.

Product enquiry is on our new pda's. Tells you everywhere something's mapped to.

heyyouguys

« Reply #6 on: 14-09-17, 05:36PM »
Not had them yet

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 14-09-17, 05:53PM »
Yorkshire dave

"Tells you everywhere something's MAPPED to"  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 14-09-17, 09:53PM »
Whats so funny?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 14-09-17, 10:16PM »
Well obvious you have a better/fully manned merchandising team than ours?? Non existent mapping is the norm in our store. Mainly comes up as "other" for mapping location ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Emzilli

« Reply #10 on: 15-09-17, 12:15PM »
Wage Girl - Product enquiry has a separate app on our PDA's so the function is still there!  :thumbup:

I'm still in shock we actually got them, I wasn't holding my breath. So far they do seem better and I haven't had as much signal problems this week as with the old ones. I suppose I'm still getting used to the new layouts on screen and such. I couldn't get a keyboard to come up to type in a tpn/version number when doing P.I which was slightly annoying. I do like the ability to switch between the apps quickly and can go straight back to what I was doing before switching. I did find when doing osi there was a delay in the labels printing and the print option leaving the screen as I pressed again thinking it hadn't worked and printed my labels twice. doh....

rage

« Reply #11 on: 16-09-17, 12:34PM »
The new PDAs are slightly faster then the older version.... but the network bottlenecks are causing problems when using certain apps! (Network bottleneck is referring to times the pdas grind to a halt, e.g. 9 or 11 or 3.... same as the old ones when the network is over capacity) even the upgrade to fiber last year has had no impact on the bottlenecks.

But yes, outside these times the new pdas do excel over the old ones..

The-shelf-filler

« Reply #12 on: 16-09-17, 09:45PM »
The battery's are only good because they are new,wait 6 months when they are used every day and watch the battery go down,bit like a new mobile phone.

MartletMercher

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 17-09-17, 08:03AM »
Ours appeared last Wednesday - without warning or advice on how the apps differ from the old ones (although to be fair it doesn't take much effort to work out the new procedures).

They also seem to be fairly robust -- managed to drop one SIX times on Thursday (not very far though, fell out my pocket when bending over to replace labels on bumper strips).

By far the biggest problem we had was the fact that the fingerprint database has been wiped, and only one Manager on Weds had been re-added (but without authority to add anyone else or to release Non-Food units).  Will be interesting to find out later today if anybody still in at 4 pm can do this (won't be doing much of a range reset if not!).

Deckard

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 18-09-17, 07:00PM »
 Some things are better but we have had major issues with the count function,(the application has actually been taken off on our PDA`s until it gets sorted!), we have been told by Head Office only count by the Investigation application i.e lows and overs; as they seemed to be  corrupting some  counts which were downloaded.To be honest  though I did find the old ones easier to use to count using the BAR function as it gave you a lot more information such as Delivery information,stock-holding, where it was mapped to,mind the gaps information;I just found them a lot easier to use when counting. I do wonder how they can design the PDA`S test them? and still have problems after launching to stores.

StoreTL

« Reply #15 on: 19-09-17, 12:24AM »
Waste of money. When colleagues across stores and offices are still losing jobs due to restructures etc. did the company really need to spend so much money on new
PDAs for every shop... that will also be ridiculously expensive to replace when damaged or dropped due to the touchscreen.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 19-09-17, 07:48AM »
Could be they had to. The chargers for the old ones were no longer made and potentially other parts to.

dkede1983

« Reply #17 on: 19-09-17, 04:50PM »
The new pda seems to be a lot better compared to the old ones. I work on price integrity and have encountered some problems that neither i or others can't work out. Example how do you scan off labels for counters/mobile phones/clothing/etc. On the old pda you scanned the barcode and then entered the EAN, on these new pda you can't seem to be able to do this because you can't pull up a key board. This morning we had just under 100 clothing labels come down at 3 am and we have no idea how to get them off the system even though it set to a unlabelled subgroup. Any ideas on how we get these labels off the system?

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 19-09-17, 05:52PM »
Zero them off maybe?

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 19-09-17, 05:53PM »
Yes. Simple. Don't do them. If it's like our store no manager has shown us anything about the new p.d.a so if your manager wants your job completed then they need to get off their bloody arse and find out for u