Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-11-17, 04:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 72986
  • Total Topics: 1596
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: 2018 - 2019 Bank Holidays  (Read 2132 times)

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
2018 - 2019 Bank Holidays
« on: 13-09-17, 01:21PM »
There are more "bank holidays" / "public holidays" than are recognised by Tesco, but can anyone tell me please who actually decides which ones will be recognised by Tesco, and which won't (in particular for Express Stores in Scotland) when this decision is made, and where this information is available, as next year's holiday book is already open?

Thanks.   :thumbup:

Me2015

• VLH Supporter
Re: 2018 - 2019 Bank Holidays
« Reply #1 on: 13-09-17, 01:28PM »
Different dates for different stores; you will see some stores in same town/city with differing Bank Holiday dates, daft I know, but it's agreed each year at Group Level, signed off by Store Manager and SD plus the Productivity guys so they can adjust the wage bill

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 13-09-17, 02:47PM »
Different dates for different stores; you will see some stores in same town/city with differing Bank Holiday dates, daft I know, but it's agreed each year at Group Level, signed off by Store Manager and SD plus the Productivity guys so they can adjust the wage bill

Thanks for that, but is that the same for Express Stores?

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 13-09-17, 03:02PM »
Yeh same for Express stores in Scotland we go by local holidays from councils website.
One around Easter the 2 May ones summer dependent on your trades fortnight autumn one again dependent on your area ( some town and cities have it later and take st Andrews day and the 4 at xmas and new year.

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 14-09-17, 04:46PM »
Yeh same for Express stores in Scotland we go by local holidays from councils website.
One around Easter the 2 May ones summer dependent on your trades fortnight autumn one again dependent on your area ( some town and cities have it later and take st Andrews day and the 4 at xmas and new year.

Thanks, though there doesn't seem to be anything to stop a Manager just designating any random Monday as a "Monday Holiday" to ensure they have maximum cover at minimum cost, on the actual holidays. 

Me2015

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 15-09-17, 04:41AM »
Can't just designate a 'Monday Holiday' as this will impact Pay and BH entitlements!

As mentioned before, dates are agreed and the only way it could be changed, but this is very rare, is if there is going to be such an impact on the store that it is deemed necessary to change the date, but this is very rare indeed 

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #6 on: 15-09-17, 10:09AM »
Surely it cant just be a case of Tesco or any employer deciding what is and isnt a BH or non of us would get any. Lets be right here they dont want us to have them but they have no choice.

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 15-09-17, 02:45PM »
Can't just designate a 'Monday Holiday' as this will impact Pay and BH entitlements!

As mentioned before, dates are agreed and the only way it could be changed, but this is very rare, is if there is going to be such an impact on the store that it is deemed necessary to change the date, but this is very rare indeed

This is where I'm at, but I can't find anywhere who it is that is meant to "agree" the dates for Express Stores, or when they are supposed to do it?

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 15-09-17, 04:04PM »
its the store manager who put in there local holidays along with area people manager. Most Scottish stores use there local councils holidays but can differ but normally they will be same as rest of express stores in that town/city. SM has to submit dates around January for payroll budgets for following year. Unusual for an express store in say Edinburgh to differ from another store. ( it can differ from large stores though many a time they go with English BH and not Scottish local ones purely because they open reduced hours so easier.