Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-11-17, 04:31PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 72986
  • Total Topics: 1596
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: How many managers to run night shift?  (Read 8290 times)

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
How many managers to run night shift?
« on: 10-09-17, 05:51PM »
We are a large extra with PFS and dotcom. I
always thought that policy states there should be 2 managers on duty at all times but recently we have only had one.

Can can someone enlighten me?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: How many managers to run night shift?
« Reply #1 on: 10-09-17, 05:54PM »
Tango and find out  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 10-09-17, 06:32PM »
We have 5 managers on nights sometimes they all spend the shift filling and the work still is not finished. If there was enough assistants you would only need 2. The deliveries are such a mess nowadays though.

Miffed72

« Reply #3 on: 11-09-17, 05:19PM »
I'm a tm on nights in a large extra and am constantly finding myself as the only manager instore. If you complain the answer is basically get on with it. I am concerned not only about my own safety but the 20 to 30 colleagues instore.

Miffed72

« Reply #4 on: 11-09-17, 05:23PM »
I'm a tm in a large extra who is left on my a few shifts every week. I am concerned about my own safety as well as the colleagues i am responsible for. Complain and its basically get on with it.

David1

« Reply #5 on: 11-09-17, 06:17PM »
Requirement is for one signed off manager and one colleague. That's for insurance purposes. No other requirements.

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 11-09-17, 06:37PM »
Im a branch manager in a 135000 sq ft branch with 45 colleagues. Mostly just me. Tesco is too top heavy with dept managers just overpaid gas.

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 11-09-17, 08:21PM »
Seems to me that days have too many managers and nights don't have enough.. but wouldn't be the first time that I have seen the nights / days divide where the night team lose out

nightslave101

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 11-09-17, 09:11PM »
Requirement is for one signed off manager and one colleague. That's for insurance purposes. No other requirements.

It’s ok saying the legal requirement is one manager and one colleague but what happens if said manager can’t get into work one night, they’re sick or have a family emergency? That and they’re entitled to holidays like everyone else. 

The problem you have is nights is a thankless job. No matter how hard you work it’s never good enough and that’s why not many people want to do it. I do agree with the comment that there are too many managers on days and I never understood why each department needed its own manager when a lot of them could quite easily be merged. For example grocery is quite a large section in most stores with a single manager. But you then have produce, provisions and counters all with their own manager. Wasteful really, there is no reason one manager worth their salt couldn’t combine and run those three. I'm sure there are a few other areas that could be streamlined as well.

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 11-09-17, 11:23PM »
We have 5 managers on nights sometimes they all spend the shift filling and the work still is not finished. If there was enough assistants you would only need 2. The deliveries are such a mess nowadays though.
nobodys fault but drastics!!!

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 11-09-17, 11:27PM »
Im a branch manager in a 135000 sq ft branch with 45 colleagues. Mostly just me. Tesco is too top heavy with dept managers just overpaid gas.
totally agree :thumbup:

Spidercatcher

« Reply #11 on: 12-09-17, 12:14AM »

(lol) Ain't THAT the truth!   

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 12-09-17, 12:18AM »
I am waiting for the day that one of our night managers phone in sick when they are only manager in. Would be a disaster, half of our night team wouldn't do anything and shop would look like a disaster in morning. And that is even if a day manager worked overnight, they wouldn't have a clue.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 12-09-17, 07:31PM »
What would be reasonable manager to Ga ratio across the business?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #14 on: 13-09-17, 07:03AM »
Seems to me that days have too many managers and nights don't have enough.. but wouldn't be the first time that I have seen the nights / days divide where the night team lose out

Why do you need more managers? What would they do that the manager/s on now cant? One minute there are too many the next to few it seems we are manufacturing problems to complain about.

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #15 on: 13-09-17, 07:39AM »
I don't think there has ever been too many managers on nights.  There is 15 managers on throughout the day then 1 at night, hardly an even spread.

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 13-09-17, 12:04PM »
spike_pkh

There is too many managers when you continue to see some of them filling for a full shift.

It is not the first time I have seen a member of the senior team take all night to do an easier aisle.

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #17 on: 13-09-17, 02:25PM »
Our managers very rarely fill an aisle. They will occasionally fill something like toilet roll (a 2hr job at most) in between doing other duties. 

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #18 on: 13-09-17, 05:06PM »
I don't think there has ever been too many managers on nights.  There is 15 managers on throughout the day then 1 at night, hardly an even spread.

My question still stands. What would more managers do? one would be enough to dish out jobs sort out holidays do admin and take return to work/disciplinary meetings.

So i'm not sure what your problem is.

It’s ok saying the legal requirement is one manager and one colleague but what happens if said manager can’t get into work one night, they’re sick or have a family emergency? That and they’re entitled to holidays like everyone else. 

Managers higher up deal with all that and get paid a pretty penny to do so, If you turn up for work and your manager is not there its not your problem sit in the canteen till its time to go home as for holiday and days off let them sort it out between themselves, I mean unless you are a manager in which case you are paid twice as much as us so suck it up and get on with it.

« Last Edit: 13-09-17, 05:09PM by forrestgimp »

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #19 on: 13-09-17, 05:55PM »
Please explain to me how one manager is meant to do meetings and disciplinary?

Also do you believe the day shift should also run with only one manager?

L9XSS

« Reply #20 on: 13-09-17, 06:09PM »
I have it on good authority that Lead Night Manger role will be the next role to go in addition to the Compliance Manager and Personnel role.
However this will not be a trial.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 13-09-17, 08:56PM »
L9XSS who told you this? The Lead Night Manager going would be a good idea. We have a new one every few months. Half the time they are on down nights, on day shift or on holiday so you don't see them. The company could save a fortune here.

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 14-09-17, 11:55AM »
When is the night lead role going then?

thecompliancemanager

« Reply #23 on: 14-09-17, 03:27PM »
It's being rolled out steadily throughout the groups. Our has gone this last month. He's now on days. Our whole night operation ceased. We are now a twilight store.

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 14-09-17, 03:37PM »
The compliance manager

So basically it is just the continuation of night to twilight then.

I thought some stores were operating a night team without a Lead for a minute.

Our Lead is in day shift all the time so hopefully it will happen soon.

The shop will be a mess when this happens.