Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-06-18, 02:26AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7911
  • Latest: dgr1983
Stats
  • Total Posts: 77088
  • Total Topics: 1604
  • Online Today: 105
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Author Topic: Delivery drivers - Wage comparison  (Read 5818 times)

FunkSoulBrother

• VLH Supporter
Delivery drivers - Wage comparison
« on: 10-09-17, 09:22AM »
cheese louise,

last night somewhere in a side street of london. a tesco van parked up next to an ocado one.

me: "yo bruv, how's things? last drop for tonight? what you on nowadays?"
ocado mate: "things not too bad. on sat*rdays after 6pm we on £13.25. what you making?"
me: (suppressed sobbing) "let's not talk about it. err... but you know, there's always perks and stuff".
ocado: "like what..."
me: "errr..."

anyway, would be good to have an overview about what other guys are getting, van delivery in general, dhl, dpd, whatever. it's obviously not just about the hourly wage, i get that. they say that ocado is real hard, many drops per hour, but then since this bumblebee business started, it's def no holiday camp no more. if people have some info, that be appreciated. iceland used to pay £9.25 in november 2016. M&S workers on DHL contract got £9.54 before 6pm in March 2017.
the harder they come...

fatboy

Re: Delivery drivers - Wage comparison
« Reply #1 on: 10-09-17, 11:05AM »
Tesco dotcom driver in north gets £8.01p/h!!

stockrotateman

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 10-09-17, 12:23PM »
Funksoulbrother, and they don't load or unload there vans.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 10-09-17, 02:06PM »
Multi drop driver now there's a job I would never contemplate ever doing again.
Not having done grocery delivery I would not like to say if they are a comparative, back when I did multi drop delivery I was an employed driver, there were owner drivers which was vastly different in the pay structure.
Even back then as paid driver I was delivering up to 60 drops a day over as many a mile radius.
The owner drivers were doing way more.. I had the opportunity but declined.. at least now owner drivers don't have to have full van livery for the company they are delivering for. They could essentially work more than one run sheet for the same area not sure they would want to though.

Not something I would want to go back to.
« Last Edit: 10-09-17, 02:07PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 10-09-17, 07:07PM »
Tesco are now the lowest paid supermarket.
In November next year after the pay rises they'll be paid what iceland are now, which is below Ocado, ASDA and Sainsbury's.
It's hardly a shocker nobody wants to work for tesco considering the workload is heavier than other supermarkets.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 10-09-17, 07:21PM »
I've heard that Enfield Dot Com, has a high staff turnover.

Dorothy C

« Reply #6 on: 13-09-17, 11:01AM »

£8.46 where I am, not that far from Cambridge. I've heard it's grim up North. ;D

fatboy

« Reply #7 on: 13-09-17, 01:13PM »
Not too bad as because we are a very rural store most of our time is spent driving with not too many deliveries to do.
Had occasion not too long ago where I had 2 drops to do & the route was 92 miles!!

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 13-09-17, 03:30PM »
When they shut Welham Green DC, out of 440 people, nobody transferred to Dot Com.

wheelspin

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 19-09-17, 12:42PM »
Have you guys considered using your experience to up skill?

I got my Cat D  and now drive a city bus for 21 an hour.    Plus benefits.   

Being a delivery driver puts you in a good position as employers will know you are able to sit behind the wheel for hours. 
If you still have the feeling of control, you are not going fast enough!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 19-09-17, 05:07PM »
Rather sit behind the wheel for a few minutes, walk around for a few minutes then rinse and repeat ...
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Bartdude

« Reply #11 on: 20-09-17, 07:29PM »

£8.46 where I am, not that far from Cambridge. I've heard it's grim up North. ;D

Nothing of the Sort. Highest paid staff in the U.K. Are in Shetland. £11.43 PH just over £17 on Sundays.

RABEBG

« Reply #12 on: 21-09-17, 10:51AM »
I wanna know too about the other places. and their £££

Do any of yous know if this is still right about pay bands? Think we as drivers are band D, but crazy that the north ain't paid as much http://www.verylittlehelps.com/dloads/Pay2016_17.pdf

fatboy

« Reply #13 on: 21-09-17, 11:07AM »
Certainly is. Why should drivers in one area get paid more than in another area for doing the same job??

fatboy

« Reply #14 on: 21-09-17, 04:28PM »
Also just wondering, is it lawful that dotcom drivers are paid differently in different areas? Thought they would all be on the same pay grade except for in London. What reasons would there be for some to get paid more than others for doing exactly the same job?
Any ideas?

ZyDer

« Reply #15 on: 23-09-17, 09:38PM »
Tesco 8.01, Argos 8.66 while driving but they do their own picking and get less for that- Gloucestershire

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #16 on: 29-09-17, 03:51PM »
Kent - established driver rate £8.833 per hour (and I got 'established' after 3 months rather than 6 months because of the new pay deal). But there's also the "market supplement" to take account of, and nobody seems to know how its calculated. I got £57.36 on it last month, but I cannot tell you how many hours because the payslip doesn't say!!! (its a real nasty piece of work that payslip, nothing is easy to work out on it). As a help - I know I did 3 sundays (apx 8am-6.45pm), plus 6 x 3.5 hour 'overtime' shifts as a loader on top of my 19.75 hours - but I suspect a lot of that isn't on this payslip.

I thought Tesco was one of the best delivery driver rates - turns out I was wrong! But down here, Waitrose never needs drivers. And I don't see Sainsbury's advertising for them either.

The market supplement is going to be like 'london weighting' in that its paid where-ever they have problems recruiting - but boy, i would like to know how its worked out.

Sat/Sun deliveries - up to 14 drops in a trip, often well over 700kg as people are getting their weekly shop -I get back exhausted as the sack truck is used constantly as I'm too small to manoeuvre it easily, I can only put 4 x heavy crates on it, then it becomes too much for me (5'2", and I weigh 59kg). Me and it fell down a hill last month backwards - as 5 crates overbalanced it.

Jellypot

« Reply #17 on: 29-09-17, 09:26PM »
Truly awful pay rates for drivers, the so called rises are a pathetic attempt to try and keep in front of the NMW.

Trolleywally

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 30-09-17, 12:04AM »
Kent - established driver rate £8.833 per hour (and I got 'established' after 3 months rather than 6 months because of the new pay deal). But there's also the "market supplement" to take account of, and nobody seems to know how its calculated. I got £57.36 on it last month, but I cannot tell you how many hours because the payslip doesn't say!!! (its a real nasty piece of work that payslip, nothing is easy to work out on it). As a help - I know I did 3 sundays (apx 8am-6.45pm), plus 6 x 3.5 hour 'overtime' shifts as a loader on top of my 19.75 hours - but I suspect a lot of that isn't on this payslip.

I thought Tesco was one of the best delivery driver rates - turns out I was wrong! But down here, Waitrose never needs drivers. And I don't see Sainsbury's advertising for them either.

The market supplement is going to be like 'london weighting' in that its paid where-ever they have problems recruiting - but boy, i would like to know how its worked out.

Sat/Sun deliveries - up to 14 drops in a trip, often well over 700kg as people are getting their weekly shop -I get back exhausted as the sack truck is used constantly as I'm too small to manoeuvre it easily, I can only put 4 x heavy crates on it, then it becomes too much for me (5'2", and I weigh 59kg). Me and it fell down a hill last month backwards - as 5 crates overbalanced it.

I presume you had the correct training to use the sack truck,load your van and other things.

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #19 on: 02-10-17, 02:22PM »
all anyone ever asked was - have you done your Bronze? Which, of course, I have and its logged. Nobody showed me the 'correct way' to load or use sack truck. Is there one? Really? (lol)

I suppose going out a few times with a 'buddy', s/he was supposed to do that training??

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 02-10-17, 03:34PM »
Also just wondering, is it lawful that dotcom drivers are paid differently in different areas? Thought they would all be on the same pay grade except for in London. What reasons would there be for some to get paid more than others for doing exactly the same job?
Any ideas?
Yes it's lawful if it wasn't then how could most employers justify it being higher in London. The reason for this is exactly the same as London some areas have higher cost of living which results in employers having to pay extra in which case Tesco would Also do same to look more attractive. A good example is Aberdeen where they are now on market supplement the same as London  as before staff retention was bad due to pay rate and high cost of living.

OpShunned

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 03-10-17, 10:13PM »
Sheerness has just 2 vans going out on a Sunday following the leaving of 7 drivers in the last fortnight.

No improvement until Oct 14th apparently.

Dave Lewis you are a joker, but the joke is on you  >:D
« Last Edit: 03-10-17, 10:17PM by OpShunned »

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #22 on: 12-10-17, 02:53PM »
Just seen an online advert for a waitrose delivery driver/supermarket assistant in darkest Kent - "up to £9.86 per hour" and, of course, they get their annual 'partner bonus'.

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #23 on: 12-10-17, 03:24PM »
finally found the 'location pay' information - on last year's 'pay award' leaflet (16/17) (and its on this site, as a link):

"New location pay bands
Location pay can change from time to time. From 3 July 2016, there will be 3 location pay bands
instead of 5:
Band C: +68p per hour (typically London and surrounding counties plus other areas where stores
may find it difficult to attract and retain colleagues)
Band B: +45p per hour (typically stores in the South East)
Band A: no location pay (rest of UK)."

I had thought that would allow me to work out the number of hours I'd been paid for on my payslip, but no - because the 'overtime' bit on the payslip conflates the Sunday premium with everything else (I think, might have this wrong though .....)

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 05-03-18, 11:46AM »
yeh its lawful same could be said for a lot of jobs they had reason behind it when they did it. Managers could argue same thing and folk on old contracts etc.  Same couldbe said for stores who are less tan a mile from each other where one gets location allowance and other doesn't ..