News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:33PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 296
Total: 299

Crazy Substitutions

Started by the-vortex, 19-03-12, 09:08PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Not forgetting that often managers make the worst and most careless pickers.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

pendulum

It would be nice if every picker had to accompany a driver during their training - so they realise there's actually a person who is waiting for their food at the end of the process - and see how bad it is (for customer and driver) when there's items that should have been subbed that weren't (so customer has nothing), or bad subs.

tumshie: you can override the substitution suggestion. You can even override the customers wish to not have any substitution at all, which I do often, because those who disable substitutions are foolish, despite the crazy substitution examples in this thread. It is always better to enable subs, accept the good ones at the doorstep (plenty of times, you gain from them - 1kg of mince for the originally ordered price of 500g, for example) and reject the ones you do not want.

mexicopete

Totally agree with pendulums post,I would give them something better than they asked for,you are never going to have a disappointed shopper doing that.I also would give the customer the original product with the short date,and ask them to use it if they want too.Also most managers are the worst pickers in my opinion.(clueless springs too mind)
The worlds me lobster

Faceandgo

We got one order for 12 cucumbers (along with a normal lot of shopping before anyone gets any perverted ideas)

Out of stock, the pick stick suggested 17 half cucumbers  (no we don't know why either)
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Kipper11

We had a dot com order for whole salmon recently. We were out of stock. The sub said to give them a boned Kipper!  I refused to give it to the dot com picker and got a suitable sub instead.

penguin

I ordered online recently, ordered flat top mushrooms, got a cheese and tomato flat bread as the sub.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

The Mrs

When I've shopped with Ocado I've had the original item that is out of stock refunded from the bill and the substitute free of charge, all done at the doorstep by the delivery person. Ocado give their dotcomers the freedom to make those kinds of decisions without having to get permission from their manager.  :thumbup:

RageInvader

We have also been trained to do this with Short Code products

lpt01

Iv also suggested fetching some pickers out on a run so they can link their picking with a face at the door staring at you in disbelief.
Best one iv personally had;
cust ordered pregnancy test, cust recieved 2x ovulation test kids.
Outstanding job there guys

Tesco bird

Could of been worse... Condoms or nappies!!!!! (-*-) (-*-)

lpt01

Quote from: Tesco bird on 03-11-14, 06:20PM
Could of been worse... Condoms or nappies!!!!! (-*-) (-*-)
Haha dont give them any ideas

Johnpaul

Once had the enjoyment of delivering to a customer who had ordered a pregnancy test. Her substitution was a pack of durex....

choppers dad

Been a driver for three years and i have seen a few, detol antibactireal wipes and got a box of dishwasher tablets. A box of plasters and got a packet of sanitary towels, A garlic press and got a soup ladle, there really are to many to mention.

Nomad

Not crazy perhaps but related.

QuoteIt seemed such a good offer to me that I decided to order some bottles of the wine we regularly drink at home; and with the Christmas season approaching I went online to order 24 bottles, which were due to be delivered last Sunday.

When the driver turned up I got a shock. Most of the bottles I ordered weren't actually available, he told me. So, to my astonishment, the supermarket had substituted my carefully picked wines with some cheaper alternatives.

Are there rules/guidelines regarding quality of substitutions  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Loki

Judging from recent events, "any s**t will do".
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

mexicopete

@Nomad as far as I am aware the pickers should be offering something of at least comparable price, ours are told to give the customer better if nothing comparable is in stock. :) :) :)
The worlds me lobster

Loki

From substituting beans for marbles to substituting a living wage for a discretionary bonus.

F**kwits!
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

VladPutin

Can't say I have much sympathy for the customers. If you're too lazy to do your own shopping, you take what you're given.

Red Rock

"Can't say I have much sympathy for the customers. If you're too lazy to do your own shopping, you take what you're given."

VladPutin,

Really and that's a factor that gets retail and bad name.  Honestly, who puts the money in the tills?  Customers you muppet. 

mexicopete

Quote from: Loki on 06-12-15, 02:46PM
From substituting beans for marbles to substituting a living wage for a discretionary bonus.

F**kwits!

:'( :'( :'( :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

VladPutin

Quote from: Red Rock on 06-12-15, 05:05PM
"Can't say I have much sympathy for the customers. If you're too lazy to do your own shopping, you take what you're given."

VladPutin,

Really and that's a factor that gets retail and bad name.  Honestly, who puts the money in the tills?  Customers you muppet.

And without criminals, police would be out of a job. But when a copper get's killed in the line of duty, his colleagues rarely see the irony. 8-)

And there will always be more customers. Lack of customers isn't the problem. It's the managers who want to treat each customer as a special little snowflake, instead of sheep to be fleeced.

usualsuspect

A lot of elderly , mentally challenged ,  sick and disabled folk shop with home delivery.

Are you suggesting that you steal their meagre funds by subbing any old rubbish.

US

[gmod]Edited to remove abusive comment to a VLH member. tumshie[/gmod]

VladPutin

[gmod]Edited to remove abusive comment towards customers. tumshie[/gmod]

My favourite comment from a Dot Comedian is always, "The customer wants X with four days code on it." Well, yes, but want doesn't get. I want to wake up tomorrow with several Billion in my bank account and Jennifer Lawrence in my bed, but I've learned to live with disappointment, and the customer will have to as well. :D

formerscoboy

Still think someone should bring a lucky dip option where you pay £3 and the picker choose something ...imagine the fun!

[gmod]Edited to remove poor attempt at profanity. tumshie[/gmod]

Shana

Quote from: formerscoboy on 06-12-15, 09:50PM
Still think someone should bring a lucky dip option where you pay £3 and the picker choose something
Don't some pickers do that already? That's what it looks like sometimes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk