News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:33PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 309
Total: 315

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artimis

The overtime rates are laid out in the handbook you should have been given when you started...

Sunday rate is time and half for you.

10pm til midnight is an extra £1.38 per hour
Midnight til 6am is an extra £2.05 per hour
(for hours worked sunday midnight to 6am, the sunday premium also applies).

If an express store the rates are different.

savebrickhillstores

Everytime a new store opens Tesco proudly announces how many new posts are created.  They do not say how many are lost in the stores of the small shops they are affecting or the livelyhoods of people who have been serving the community for years and wallop Tesco takes over an empty building and smashes them up!!

The Mrs

They also don't admit to how many of their own staff lose their jobs!

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/08/biggest-employers

QuoteBut of the world's biggest corporate employers (our chart excludes state behemoths like China's army) Tesco, Britain's biggest retailer, shed the most jobs between 2009 and 2010, cutting its workforce by 18%.

18% in 2009/10

In 2009 there were 285000 UK employees. 18% of that means at least 51300 jobs lost in that one year.  >:(

Nomad

THAT, is truly outrageous  :( considering the spin they put on the jobs they 'create'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tescopleb

just a follow on from savebrickhillstores post - they may proudly announce how many jobs they have created when they open a new store but they also conveniently forget to mention how many of those are temporary. How many times have we seen a new store open only to find a few weeks/months down the line that they quietly end the contracts of those same staff. In my store alone far from creating jobs i'd say we've lost 3/4 of the posts we opened with.

DO-IT

they also never say how many are full time.
Tesco have created 200 jobs sounds a whole lot better than.......Tesco have 200 new jobs on offer at 9hrs per week

ikhaj

I am an electrical and entertainment team leader.
I have been in this job role for roughly a year now, all my departments have suffered from staff leaving and not being replaced.  These numbers are what I had when I started the role and what I currently have.
Team Leaders - 2, now just me.
Photo Lab - 7 staff, now 4.
News and Mags - 4, now 2.
Electrical Desk - 5, now 3.
Entertainment - 5, now 3.
Electrical Replenishment - 1, now 0.

So in just under a year I have had 10 members of staff leave the store or move departments not to be replaced, plus 1 team leader.

spirit

Quote from: Shifty on 30-10-09, 12:33PM
Our Night Shift  (won't say which dept, or where, to protect myself) has gone from 6 staff on Saturday nights, down to just 2. We're in the middle of the warehouse-to-shopfloor reshuffle and the two of us are currently expected to work 25+ cages of delivery, 25+ cages of backstock plus stock on capping shelves for 9 aisles, plus face up to highest standard (What Good Looks Like). The workload is impossible, but no one in Management is prepared to accept this. The pressure they're putting on us to achieve is intolerable. Something has got to give.

So nothing has changed in the 4 years since I was on Tesco nights.  It is interesting how much stock is left unworked if you go into the store in the early morning. My experience is that it is in growing at a considerable rate.

Surely filling up is far more important than facing up, stock on shelves sells,not a pretty picture of stock  in nice rows. Please try to explain that FACT to many Tesco Managers.

magyar

Therin lies the problem.

It's a Green Grocer for f***s sake.

None of it is important.

Klobasa

We have quite a few staff who have moved here from stores,now i know why,but..out of the frying pan sort of thing. :p:, to be honest,I don't care if items are all " facing " ?,and looking all prim and proper,( no disrespect to the people who carry out this work ) :d: if i want something, I"L find it( without rummaging ),be it on a shelve,in a box,or on a pallet..( and where the hell do all those tins of tomatoes come from )??surely it really isn't that important ! is it ??.it must be galling for staff spending hours of their time preparing the stock layout continually,i know items have to be replenished,but not set up for a photo shoot.

nightfiller

Quote from: Klobasa on 16-12-11, 07:56AM
We have quite a few staff who have moved here from stores,now i know why,but..out of the frying pan sort of thing. :p:, to be honest,I don't care if items are all " facing " ?,and looking all prim and proper,( no disrespect to the people who carry out this work ) :d: if i want something, I"L find it( without rummaging ),be it on a shelve,in a box,or on a pallet..( and where the hell do all those tins of tomatoes come from )??surely it really isn't that important ! is it ??.it must be galling for staff spending hours of their time preparing the stock layout continually,i know items have to be replenished,but not set up for a photo shoot.

Tell me about it!
You have to wonder what is the point of facing up when as soon as dotcom have been around there are gaps everywhere and it doesn't look like it's even been faced! Managers don't take into account how long it takes to split and to face up.
We too have lost a lot of staff, none of which have been replaced. Surely getting the stock on the shelves should be the priority not making it look pretty which doesn't last very long anyway.
I don't see why night staff should have to do all the facing up as well as filling the shelves, personally I don't think facing needs to be done every day - it's unnecessary and too time consuming.

oddjob

our store has taken on a couple of part timers for days but we have lost hours on nights to go to day staff rhrp ?? so we on nights have to work even harder to make up AGAIN! :'(

Hammers1985

How can none of you see that an unfaced shop looks c**p, and if stock is left at back of shelves that customers cannot see, they cannot buy it...
Gods sake this workforce is supposed to be the best,

DONT ACCEPT 2ND BEST

lackofinterest

in my opinion customers would rather see full range of stock on shelves rather than a few items pulled to the front to try and make it look pretty 8-)

gomezz

Quote from: Hammers1985 on 29-04-12, 07:26PM
How can none of you see that an unfaced shop looks c**p, and if stock is left at back of shelves that customers cannot see, they cannot buy it...
Can't disagree more.  If there is something I want to buy I will look all the way to the back of the shelf to see if it is there.  I don't think my eyes are are that different to most other customers and are able to see that far back.  A fully-faced up display with no gaps sends me the message that no-one wants to buy those particular items so they can't be worth buying.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Loki

How can you not see that that an unfaced shop is due to:

Lack of staff, therefore:
Lack of availability, therefore:
Low sales, therefore:
Low share price, therefore:
Price increase, therefore:
Low sales, therefore:
Lack of staff, therefore...

... a vicious cycle caused by mass underinvestment, cutting corners and jobsworths like yourself, who's only concern is painting over the cracks.

Gods sake this workforce is supposed to be the best,

Workforce? What workforce? We are facing staff cuts left right and centre. Imagine our main military defence being made up of ONLY the Territorial Army instead of a Regular Army.

DONT ACCEPT 2ND BEST

Second Best? You are being generous. The other Supermarkets are eating into Tesco's share of the market. Mediocrity at best methinks.

Underapreciated

In the Metro I work in we used to have 18 people on the Twilight shift filling and looking after grocery with a minimum of 3 people (Normally 4 unless someone was on holiday) working Sunday - Thursday nights with 5 minimum Wednesday night, Friday night and Saturday night.

Now we have 9. Including our manager (Who only works on the 'easy' nights we have no delivery or 1 small one) With 2 more people leaving the end of this month and we only have one full time position available. (With the hours mainly allocated to the days where we struggle but get by not the days where we are drowning!)

We are still expected to work the full delivery and have the shop fully faced and tidy with half the numbers of staff each night and they can't seem to understand why things are getting missed or being done sloppily or completely ignored because we haven't the time or staff to do it.

Underappreciated** - Typo's pain in my backside!

Papa Smurf

Our store took on 25 new day staff in the last 2 months. The night shift however are not allowed to replace any one who leaves! We started nearly 3 years ago with 28 night staff, we now have 14, only 5 of which are full time but we are still expected to kick out the same amount of work AND clear up after the day staff. Thanks Tesco, great place to work!!! >:D

happyone

its always the same if only top mangers could see no staff to fill shelves then there is no stock to sell to the coustomres and they wonder why we lose costomrs my the ceo should go under cover a take a look in stores and not sit in his office all day long

Nothing really helps

Our store has  got rid of 15 staff and taken on 5. 20,000 new vacancies my f****ng arse.

roma1958

ditto.our store is also letting staff go.this announcement of 20,000 new jobs is complete bo**ocks.

Loki

As are most things Tesco come out with.

roma1958

would'nt it be refreshing if tesco admitted what an a*se it has made of things
and started employing more staff to get on with the job.

eric79

How many of the temps would each of you kept in your own store? If its anything like the situation in mine I'm not surprised  staff (specifically temps)  haven't been kept on. On nights for example the same temp has been responsible for over 50 fill errors on SRP in the last two nights! Even excusing the first night through possible lack of training the second time surely is something else?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk